PDA

View Full Version : 450R as a rental?

Woody_YFZ
03-22-2004, 11:47 PM
I'm tossing around the idea of adding a couple (2) 450R's to my rental fleet. I already have a couple YFZ's and they rent out really well and would like to get a couple Honda's, but I'm a little apprehensive because of the kick start. How do you think these machines would do as rentals? Thanks for any input. Of course I need a good deal on the quads too, there's no way I'm paying retail and none of the local shops will budge off retail, so I'm going to start calling around to some small shops in the small towns within a couple of hours here and hopefully get lucky. So if you know anywhere that I can get TRX's for around $6k in Utah or pretty close, let me know, it would be much appreciated.

04trx450R
03-23-2004, 05:24 AM
The kickstart should be no problem,, just make sure your customers know that when they start them, no throttle, nice smooth kick,, they start right up

joe1l
03-23-2004, 07:30 AM
I would only rent them to experienced riders only. :) I think that should reduce some risk.

Honda
03-23-2004, 08:43 AM
How many people out there would love to rent a YFZ, then a 450R, before making a purchase. Not only that, but if I was on Vacation and owned a 450R, I would want to rent a 450R.

;)

2004TRX450R
03-23-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by joe1l
I would only rent them to experienced riders only. :) I think that should reduce some risk.

I highly agree. You just need to figure out a way to be able to tell if they are experienced or not.

BigThumper33
03-23-2004, 01:09 PM
I don't think it would be to big of a deal with the kickstart. I would instruct the user, show them how to do it once or twice, and then under your supervision, I would make them try it once or twice to make sure they have it down right.

EXDuner
03-23-2004, 01:24 PM
I would rent from you if you had a 450R! I would love to try one out first at the dunes before I buy one. I could just stop by on the way to Jerico! I was thinking though about the kickstart....sometimes you can get in a bit of a predicament at the dunes, like really at a weird angle on a hill and kill the quad. I think that it may be hard to kick it when you are trying to balance and keep from sliding or tipping. Button is much easier to push in that situation...

twisted threads
03-23-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by EXDuner
I was thinking though about the kickstart....sometimes you can get in a bit of a predicament at the dunes, like really at a weird angle on a hill and kill the quad. I think that it may be hard to kick it when you are trying to balance and keep from sliding or tipping. Button is much easier to push in that situation...

I know what you mean... try kicking over a big bore 2 stroke on one of them hills.;) Trust me once you get used to it you will have no problems kicking it no matter what position your in..... I think!:) :cool:

MX#9
03-23-2004, 02:37 PM
Granted,the e-start is easier than any kicker,you can push the hot start button,sitting on the seat,with only half a kick,and it will light. Consider your maintainence cost savings over starters and batteries as well. I'm sure more than one person on here has left their quad in nuetral [sp] with the key on,only to come back a couple of days later with a dead battery.

Woody_YFZ
03-23-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by 2004TRX450R
I highly agree. You just need to figure out a way to be able to tell if they are experienced or not.

Thanks for the input. As stated here, it's pretty tough to decide who's experienced or not. I always ask though and it hasn't been an issue with the YFZ's....yet. Now I just need to find a dealer who is willing to make me a deal on a couple.

#1speedbump
03-23-2004, 05:56 PM
Woody go to cycletrader.com many dealers are advertisin them for 6 and even a few have em for under. I believe Bartsville cycle has theirs listed otd at 5800. They coulp probably help with shipping if you bought a few.

Woody_YFZ
03-23-2004, 09:28 PM
I didn't even think of that. Thanks for the info. I found a place in Idaho that will sell them to me for $6k, so I'll probably go pick two of them up this weekend.

2004TRX450R
03-24-2004, 02:30 AM
Before you drive there make sure you know what they are charging for freight and set up. I know that Lynnwood Cycle Barn will tell you they are selling it for way less than others but once you get there they slap you with some big freight and set up charges and it ends up being more than you could have gotten it elsewhere.

I've been rideing my ATC250R in the sand since I was 14 and a 200X before that and haven't had any issues of getting it started on any hills or anything like that yet.

Woody_YFZ
03-24-2004, 05:13 AM
I asked that. They charge no freight and set up, with a $36.50 doc fee, so out the door will be $6,036.50. Of course that includes no tax since I will be buying out of state.