PDA

View Full Version : Be aware of graphics and the clarke gas tank

xcntry
03-22-2004, 06:15 PM
Be aware that if you use a clarke oversize gas tank your stickers or graphics kit will probably bubble up. The Clarke oversize tank(which is awesome by the way) takes the place of the stock plastic side panels and fills in this area with the tank. I'm not sure if the graphics bubbled up on the tank surface due to the plastic compound or due to the difference in the temperature when there is gas in the tank. All I know is that we put a factory effects graphics kit on my wifes 400ex with the clarke tank. A couple days later the graphics bubbled all over so we worked the bubbles back out and got it nice and smooth. The next day it was all bubbled up again. If anyone knows why it did this or how to fix it so it wont do it anymore I would really appreciate your help. There may be a way to get it to stop bubbling but I cant figure it out!! Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance:(

Cole Trane
03-22-2004, 07:40 PM
Good Info!!
Maybe it doesn't stick to the plastic as well as the stock sidepanels. When you work out the bubbles, do you work them all the way out to the edges or just until you can't see them anymore. You could try to poke pin holes in the graphics where the bubbles are, but that might screw them up. I hate when I buy things and they don't work as well as I want them to!!

bradley300
03-22-2004, 09:05 PM
if you notice, look at alot of dirtbike graphics have a large number of tiny holes or slits in the graphics, this lets the tank breath thru the graphics instead of pushing the graphics off

quad_quazy
03-22-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
if you notice, look at alot of dirtbike graphics have a large number of tiny holes or slits in the graphics, this lets the tank breath thru the graphics instead of pushing the graphics off

believe it or not plastic breathes. That's also why gas goes "bad" siting in the quad or your plastic gas can.

jonc623
03-23-2004, 08:32 PM
yep what quad quasy said i could never get stickers to say on my tank when i had my 250 r with ims big tank

xcntry
03-24-2004, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the info guys that is kind of what I expected. We did work the bubles all the way out to the edge but they still came back. I'll try to take a scalpel and make small slits in the graphics where it will be hrd to see them and see how that works. I'll keep you posted! Thanks Again!!