PDA

View Full Version : What a mess I need help

DEWIE
03-22-2004, 05:01 PM
My Z started acting funny and sluggish. Now it will not start. I took off the stator cover and took off the big gear and the little starter drive gear moves with my fingers.
So I drained the oil. I found a piece of a spring and metal shavings stuck to the plug.
Well I took the generator cover off and WOW what mass distruction. All 6 bolts that hold the starter clutch to the rotor were sheered off and they detroyed the stator or magneto whatever that brass looking thig is called. What could have caused this? I remember reading a thread about this happening to someone else on Z400Central. Does anyone know if I can fix it without having to take the entire engine apart? In the manual it gives steps for dissassembling the engine and taking the clutch out before you take the rotor off. Can't I remove the rotor without doing the clutch? Please guys I need some help here. And where did the spring come from? I can't believe this happened. I can't find the spring in any of the engine diagrams in the manual. Do I have to have a rotor removal tool to get the rotor off or can I use something else? I need major help.

Thanks for any help.
Lori
:(

XC-Z
03-24-2004, 10:20 AM
I'm not sure.Did you try to seach the topic on the z400 central site?

DEWIE
03-24-2004, 10:39 AM
yes I did. I got a helpful reply over there too.

Thanks
Lori