PDA

View Full Version : 450r vs the pred vs kfx 700

KOG
03-22-2004, 04:21 PM
do u guys think that the 450r will out run the other two atvs and is it better on trails and is it fun to ride

Dill Pickle
03-22-2004, 04:24 PM
yo

u sound new to this whole atv thing... so here is just my 2 cents.

450r best quad out right now, no electric start, no reverse,fast, wou;dnt suggest if ur new to riding quads

Predator- very good quad, fast, i wouldn't suggest if you are new to quads

KFX V-Force- very good machine lots of power, automatic, good quad overall ,so if i were you and was ridin trails mostly i would go with this machine.

KOG
03-22-2004, 04:30 PM
to tell the truth i have been riding atvs for a while and have owned one for about a yr and need somthing bigger than what i ahve to i thought mabey one of these quads

dn1911
03-22-2004, 04:31 PM
hey i'm sorta new to quads and i bought a 450R and i'm doing just fine thanks.

anyway a friend of mine has an R and raced a V-force and he said they were equall the whole time. that says alot considering the V has an extra 250cc and an auto so there is no shifting. other than that it is very large and heavy and probally to much for a fist quad. i would still suggest a 400ex for a first bike

Dill Pickle
03-22-2004, 04:38 PM
i wouldnt get 400ex unless your goin to put some aftermarket stuff on it and plus it has no reversse

check out the Z400 it will have the power you need and its good trail quad and has reverse

TCracin440ex
03-22-2004, 07:39 PM
u dont need reverse man...reverse is a cop out....if u want reverse on a quad..get a utility....i hate reverse...ive never wished 1 time i had reverse on my 400ex....when u kno what u doing u can jus sling the assend of the bike arround in any trail or condition quicker than what any one can put a quad in reverse and back up

i kno my friend has a raptor and i can turn my 400ex arround faster than he can put his in reverse back up, and then stick it back in first and take off

exrider44
03-22-2004, 07:42 PM
I agree reverse is for pu$$ies!:devil:

Just my 2cents

TCracin440ex
03-22-2004, 07:49 PM
id think having reverse would be a power robber...cuz if you think about it...what if they took the crf 450 motor and had to design a new tranny for the reverse....or took the 400ex motor and had to do the same thing.....im sure if some 1 stuck a drz 400 motor in a z400 frame it would have alot more hp, but no reverse....call my bull shyt...but i mean this is jus my option.....

i think if you need reverse u need a utility..if your too lazy to push a quad back (if u even have to) then ur too lazy to ride a sport quad....

aces high33
03-22-2004, 09:46 PM
word.

Bean
03-22-2004, 10:27 PM
one problem with your opinion on reverse

the fact is, there are alot more older guys out there, your dads for example, who dont want to pick up a 375 + lb machine and man handle it around in the trails, thats why reverse was invented, you will think it is ussless untill you find yourself suck somewhere and you cant lift it out, more people are out casual riding and enjoy the luxery of reverse over the small percentage of people racing who dont need it, factories dont care about the racers like they used to, its about the common man and the cash flow

robman
03-23-2004, 12:33 AM
When your stuck your stuck,reverse won't get you out of a mud hole.I've never seen a z or raptor get out of the mud using reverse but my ex with razrs rarley gets stuck and the other guys are eating my roost anyways:devil:

DESDAK4
03-23-2004, 07:12 AM
I think reverse is just a preferance thing. However even on the net you might want to watch who you call names without even knowing them and no matter your meaning. It's kinda like burning bridges you haven't even crossed yet but that is just my opinion.

As far as those three quads go. I have not even seen a 450R in person yet but it sounds like an awsome bike. I ride my V listed below and my buddy has a 558 Predator and when we ran a few drag races this weekend it was a 50/50 split depending on traction at the launch and that was it. I think the Pred. feels like you are on a crotch rocket and really do not care for how it feel but it is an awsome bike and is VERY fast and handles real well. I also love my Vs and think they handle pretty much any thing you want to give them very well.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

adema
03-23-2004, 08:16 AM
u say know that reverse is for pu$$ies but when ur ridin in tight wood trails and u cannot do a doughnut but like my cousin with a banshee he needs to get pulled back so the revese is the best thing and the Z is faster than the ex Stock but is u pipe the ex it will equal but pipe the z it will be faster

eddings
03-23-2004, 12:21 PM
You all sound like my dad who said "that will be the day when I can't get up and change the channel on the TV." Guess what, when you have two quads one w/reverse and one w/o reverse and they are the same speed I will buy the one with reverse. Sometimes it is nice to have reverse.

I admit that I don't need it as much as I thought I did, but when you are exhausted it is much easier to push a button than it is to lift a quad. In a long cross country race I will go with reverse. For mx reverse is not a necessity.

Everyone has there preferece, and calling them names just shows how big of a man you are.

BigThumper33
03-23-2004, 01:03 PM
my old man is nearly 50 and wieghhs 145lbs, I've never once heard him ***** about reverse when it came to him and his 250R ;)

My first quad was a warrior and it had reverse. The reverse was nearly useless, and it would never pull me out of a slippery situation ever.

Riding is a physical activity, think of it as excerise. If you'd rather not get some cardiovascular in, then ride around on a kawie mule.... :devil:

r450rr
03-23-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by BigThumper33
my old man is nearly 50 and wieghhs 145lbs, I've never once heard him ***** about reverse when it came to him and his 250R ;)

My first quad was a warrior and it had reverse. The reverse was nearly useless, and it would never pull me out of a slippery situation ever.

Riding is a physical activity, think of it as excerise. If you'd rather not get some cardiovascular in, then ride around on a kawie mule.... :devil:

i agree totally. riding is excercise. and for these type of machines u need no reverse,, reverse is useless u cant back up a hill or back out of mud, its pointless. and say if someone is to tired to pick up a 350lb machine, when what there doing is exercising, that means their just lazy. if u wanna just casually ride around and enjoy life then get something thats 4wheel drive and has reverse, matter of fact even get a automatic, where all u have to do is give it gas, and then u will be satisfied. but for someone thats going to use the machine for what its made for and not just to drive around on pavement. then i think honda made a good decision of no reverse. :blah:

t00muchmetal
03-25-2004, 10:19 AM
definatly true about riding being exercise
since i sold my 400ex 6 months ive gained a ****load of weight
i gotta get my 450R and get back to my "girlish figure" JK
but it was all the exercise i need upper mid and lower body

the whoop sections really worked the abs

WOracing19
03-29-2004, 05:49 PM
i started out on a bayou, very bad quad btw. i would start with an ex. i upgraded to a 450r.

bama400ex
03-29-2004, 06:13 PM
well i agree reverse is not all ways necessary. but it does come in handy. in about the 3 months ive had my quad ive could have used reverse probally about twice. not to bad, but at the time reverse would have been great. you just have to think about what you are doing before you get yourself in a situation. ive not had a quad that had reverse in about 6 years. its just not that important to me. but after a hard day of fast trail riding a predator is just a little bit heavier than a 250r. but anyways whoever said resverse wont get you unstuck or cant back up a hill dont know what they are talking about. :rolleyes: ive been on and seen countless quads that was stuck going foward and back right out of it. that includes sport quads to, not just 4x4s.

WOracing19
03-30-2004, 02:21 PM
i agree that reverse is for lazy people. Dont buy a sport quad if ur to lazy to get off and push it backwards.

03-30-2004, 03:14 PM
How about this. Sport quads are for sport use. If you do NOTHING but trail-ride.. well most sport quads aren't for you. You don't use reverse on the track or for jumping or anything.

Point 1

Also.. I'm not saying an "old dad" can't ride sport... but if an old dad is too lazy or unable to get up and move a quad then he bought the wrong machine anyways. sport quads aren't built for trails alone. you accept that when u buy one. it's simple, if you don't plan on sport riding, don't buy a sport quad. and if you sport ride.. you should have the physical conditioning to at least move a quad. C'mon when I started I was 5"8 and 170lbs and I had zero problem hopping off and moving the machine sometimes.

Point 2

ANYWAYS

As far as those quads go it's like this.

The 450R is by far the most rugged and ALL around great machine in terms of sportiness. It's not a trail quad but it will do just as good as any other sport machine on the trails. It's got speed, it's like, and it handles. It's not for the faint of heart. The 50lbs advantage on most quads is really felt and the 450R (and yfz450) are so nimble they are like an extension of your body.

The Predator has the best power to weight ratio available and is 45 horse stock which is even anywhere from 3-5 up on the new 450's. The Predator weigh's 412lbs so it's not as light as the 450R but it comes with the best standard suspension available, has the best handling technology built in, and the tightest turning available on a quad. It has a really squirrly assed end though which is part of it's amazing turning ability. Not for beginner's to ride either

The V-Force from what I know is more of a trail machine than any other sport quad, yet it's still competitive in Non-track sport competition. It's big, it's heavy and has lower rated handling than most of it's competitors. It has no problems moving around though because the 700 V-Twin hauls like a mother. I don't know a whole ton about the V-Force because I've had only brief experience on it.

z-mann
03-30-2004, 03:51 PM
What he said. That was pretty well the facts.

BigThumper33
03-30-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by bama400ex
well i agree reverse is not all ways necessary. but it does come in handy. in about the 3 months ive had my quad ive could have used reverse probally about twice. not to bad, but at the time reverse would have been great. you just have to think about what you are doing before you get yourself in a situation. ive not had a quad that had reverse in about 6 years. its just not that important to me. but after a hard day of fast trail riding a predator is just a little bit heavier than a 250r. but anyways whoever said resverse wont get you unstuck or cant back up a hill dont know what they are talking about. :rolleyes: ive been on and seen countless quads that was stuck going foward and back right out of it. that includes sport quads to, not just 4x4s.

Bama400ex, hop on a warrior with good stock warrior tires, and show me that you can get out of any kind of mud. Even a small mud hole, then I'll believe you. Otherwise, I'm sticking with the fact that my warrior couldn't get out of crap if it were stuck, no way in hell.

Damn thing couldn't even get enough traction to pull itself up a hill if it had loose soil or ground cover. Throw some mudders on and then maybe, but who rides a sport quad with big lug tires?

03-30-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by BigThumper33
Bama400ex, hop on a warrior with good stock warrior tires, and show me that you can get out of any kind of mud. Even a small mud hole, then I'll believe you. Otherwise, I'm sticking with the fact that my warrior couldn't get out of crap if it were stuck, no way in hell.

Damn thing couldn't even get enough traction to pull itself up a hill if it had loose soil or ground cover. Throw some mudders on and then maybe, but who rides a sport quad with big lug tires?

nobody. LoL

z-mann
03-30-2004, 04:22 PM
I like reverse. I agree with the statement that if I had to choice between two bikes for the same price, I am buying the one with reverse.

DESDAK4
03-31-2004, 06:58 AM
I like having reverse even if I don't use it all that often. As for calling people lazy for buying a quad with reverse, I challenge you to come spend a few days with us riding 60 and 70 mile rides in 15-20 degree temps with snow on the ground. Now that is a work out:D . The V is not as limited as you might think, as I stated before I have beat a 558 predator on mine and start a MX season on the 25th of April.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

03-31-2004, 07:28 AM
yeah I'm sure you beat a 558 predator.. considering a factory V-Force can't even beat a factory Predator in the shoot-outs..

If you beat a Predator than the guy you raced was either not racing and you were just doing a fly-by or something, or he had no idea how to shift gears.

be it ATV Actions or Dirtwheels I don't care. The weight and the CVT with it's belts and pulley's drags the V-Force down terribly.

http://www.siatlanta.com/forumpics/captobvious.jpg

DESDAK4
03-31-2004, 07:39 AM
Believe what you want. The guy I beat is a member here and has backed the story up already.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

z-mann
03-31-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by DarkManX
yeah I'm sure you beat a 558 predator.. considering a factory V-Force can't even beat a factory Predator in the shoot-outs..

If you beat a Predator than the guy you raced was either not racing and you were just doing a fly-by or something, or he had no idea how to shift gears.

be it ATV Actions or Dirtwheels I don't care. The weight and the CVT with it's belts and pulley's drags the V-Force down terribly.

I have beat more than my fair share of them too. Sorry, but any one who knows much about setting up the clutch on a V should be able to run with pretty much everything out there.

eddings
03-31-2004, 09:06 AM
You guys are arguing about sport quads. The 450r and the yfz are supposed to be race quads. Most sport quads have reverse. If you race you shouldn't need it, but if you trail ride you will whether you want to admit it or not it is nice to have in some situations. Calling people lazy is stupid you don't know how hard they work. Just because they don't want to get off and move a quad doesn't mean they are lazy. Grow up and quit calling people names like little school children. Some people like it and some people don't big deal.

03-31-2004, 09:11 AM
seriously, don't try to be a hero. :rolleyes:

Pappy
03-31-2004, 09:12 AM

anyone hear the ice cracking:confused:

DESDAK4
03-31-2004, 11:50 AM
In my opinion, he already fell through:eek:

Jay
USAF
AMMO

Doibugu2
03-31-2004, 11:58 AM

Your going to burn some bridges real quick. Your posts sound like your quoting out of magazines.

I would say a majority of the members here are trail riders, so they shouldn't have sport quads?

Get some facts that you gathered first hand, not out of a magazine or your local dealer.

z-mann
03-31-2004, 12:36 PM

Who are you talking to? See the sig. I would think that I might have a little first hand knowledge on the subject. Oh well, fighting on the internet is just dumb anyway.

Pappy
03-31-2004, 01:44 PM
he is toast...i had a belly full of his attitude:o

Doibugu2
03-31-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
he is toast...i had a belly full of his attitude:o

I knew you would come through. Kid was annying

matt8303
04-03-2004, 01:41 AM
listen guys I have had experience on both sport quads w/o reverse and a 4x4w/ reverse. I think the reverse is handy especially when I run into a trail that has had a huge tree fall over the trail and there is no way to get around it and no place wide enough for you to turn your sport quad around. beleive me its not fun pushing your quad backwards for like 1/4 of a mile. thats just my 2 cents.