PDA

View Full Version : Axle Carrier Ques.

sideways
03-22-2004, 02:24 PM
Every time i go out riding, my chain loosens. Not just a little bit, but enough for the chain to fall off sometimes. Fell off yesterday and broke the front sprocket bolts off. I think it my axle carrier moving backwards in the swingarm, loosening the chain. Any suggestions on what could be causing this? i'm almost at a loss

cals400ex
03-22-2004, 03:00 PM
i would make sure you have the 4 bolts that you loosen to adjust the chain torqued down to the manual specs. i don't remember the torque off the top of my head. i was thinking something like 14 ft/lbs, but that may not be right.

03-22-2004, 03:10 PM
make sure the bolts are tightend and if thats not the problem then the bearings are shot mine did this to me a little while ago. I cracked the bearing tryin to thighten it so i bought a whole new burgard. So far its great. But when u get a new one make sure to undo your whole axle and grease the carrier through the zerk about once every three months.

zephead400ex
03-22-2004, 03:35 PM
Yes, check the 4 bolts on the carrier. If those are tight, it could be the carrier itself. If so, new bearings and seals are probably in store.

Good luck.

03-22-2004, 05:27 PM
sounds like the chain is old & stretched

sideways
03-23-2004, 04:22 PM
i gues i forgot to mention that my axle carrier is almost brand new. Maybe 2 months old and about 40 to 50 hours on it, and also my chain is brand new, although not an o-ring chain. I will try torqueing down the allen bolts. I always did it by feel and not with a torque wrench. Does anyone know what i should torque them down to??

cals400ex
03-23-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by sideways
i gues i forgot to mention that my axle carrier is almost brand new. Maybe 2 months old and about 40 to 50 hours on it, and also my chain is brand new, although not an o-ring chain. I will try torqueing down the allen bolts. I always did it by feel and not with a torque wrench. Does anyone know what i should torque them down to??

15 ft/lbs according to the honda manual.

cals400ex
03-23-2004, 08:34 PM
by the way, don't do the full 15 at a time. do them in small increments. once you get to tighten one all the way down to 15, it more than likely will get looser when you tighten all of the other ones down so this takes a few minutes to do properly.

03-23-2004, 09:30 PM
although not an o-ring chain. if its not an oring or xring chain & it is only standard they do not last long...mine lasted for only 8 hours of riding when I had one....they are garbage & a waste of money...this is probably your problem

shamisc
03-23-2004, 09:38 PM

The chain is deff the problem! Non-Oring chains are junk on any quad!! They will stretch in a matter of minutes! Get yerself a DID X-Ring or a Sidewinder if money is not an issue!;)

cals400ex
03-23-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by shamisc
The chain is deff the problem! Non-Oring chains are junk on any quad!! They will stretch in a matter of minutes! Get yerself a DID X-Ring or a Sidewinder if money is not an issue!;)

not saying your wrong or anything, but if they are junk why do they make them? i would think they would have to serve a purpose. :confused:

shamisc
03-23-2004, 10:36 PM
People who race MX love them b/c they're lighter and have less drag than an O-ring. But, if you ask any MX racer, they'll tell you that they trash the things after each race or so. I said they were junk on quads, not all together. If you enjoy tightening your chain every thirty minutes, then by God go buy you a non-oring chain. I think what this guy wants is what most ATV riders want and that's a chain that will stay tight for hours on end! If the non-oring was designed for ATV's, I think companies like Honda would put them on from the factory. I don't know about yours, but my EX came with an O-ring chain!:macho

cals400ex
03-24-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by shamisc
People who race MX love them b/c they're lighter and have less drag than an O-ring. But, if you ask any MX racer, they'll tell you that they trash the things after each race or so. I said they were junk on quads, not all together. If you enjoy tightening your chain every thirty minutes, then by God go buy you a non-oring chain. I think what this guy wants is what most ATV riders want and that's a chain that will stay tight for hours on end! If the non-oring was designed for ATV's, I think companies like Honda would put them on from the factory. I don't know about yours, but my EX came with an O-ring chain!:macho

thanks, thats what i didn't know. yeah, i think my stock chain has a few o-rings on it. :eek:

sideways
03-25-2004, 04:47 PM
ok. so tighten the allen nuts to 15 ft. lbs. and get a new chain, which is not stock, but probably is junk anyway. and hopefully that solves the problem. how much does a new o-ring chain run? and should i change sprockets at the same time?

03-25-2004, 06:43 PM
change yoyur sprockets if they are missing teeth or show signs of wear...I got my oring chain off ebay for cheap...i forget how much $$$