PDA

View Full Version : Cut Your Gas Cap Vent Hose Shorter

4fiddyR
03-21-2004, 08:01 PM
I had a problem last weekend, I was getting a bog and backfire out the pipe on hard acceleration. Motor was totally stock, only thing I did was clean the airfliter.
I thought maybe I got a speck of dirt stuck in the carb from doing the filter. anyway my friend works at a Honda shop here and he was going to put my cam pipe, and goodies on for me this weekend, so he said he would address the bog and backfire at the same time.
Long story short fellas, I had water in my gas tank and in the bowl of the carb!
He told me I had bad gas and I was like your nuts, I had a 5 gallon can and I filled mine up and my buddies 400ex at the same time, his ran fine over the weekend and mine ran like crap on Sunday, Saturday it was fine.
He right away asked me if I washed it off Saturday and I told him I did. Next he asked me how I did it, I told him I washed it off with my pressure washer and I had it on it's rear wheels with the gas shut off.
He just smiled and laughed at me. He said pull the gas cap vent hose out of the steering stem, I did, and I knew right away what happened. That hose is about 26 inches long!!!! I blew water in the tank threw the gas cap vent hose when I had it on the rear wheels. Anyway guys cut your vent hose a little shorter and pinch it off when you wash it. Why Honda left that hose that long is beyond me. Just my 2 cents and a tip from my misfortune.

04trx450R
03-21-2004, 08:28 PM
That is a good one,,, I wash mine like that too.... Thanks

robman
03-21-2004, 10:06 PM
That happened to my EX,the steering stem fills with water and every time you wheelie or stand the quad up the same thing happened.Even leaving your quad out in the rain can cause this to happen if the stem isn't covered.They shoud have a drain hole at the bottom of the stem.

jmoney45
03-22-2004, 06:43 AM
Yeah I noticed how long the vent hose was. Couldn't believe it. Like a garden hose or something.

robby26wi
03-22-2004, 12:36 PM
Just get an aluminum one way valve off of ebay...They are like 14 bux shipped and then you dont have a hose anymore...

JWhite
03-22-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by robby26wi
Just get an aluminum one way valve off of ebay...They are like 14 bux shipped and then you dont have a hose anymore...

Interesting. Got a link? I couldn't find one.