PDA

View Full Version : 450R Bent Axle - Anyone else?

trx11t
03-22-2004, 10:14 AM
So I was able to ride one about a week ago from a guy I know. I did this jump I have done a hundred times before. It's fairly big but not huge by any means. Well anyway after I land I'm riding around and all of a sudden it feels real rough. I though I had a flat tire or something. I couldn't believe it but the axle was bent on both sides. What the hell is that??
SO anyway I just heard back from the guy and he said HOnda isn't going to cover it because it was on a race track. NOT RACING. Just on a track. So anyway now I have to replace it for the guy. Unbelievable.
A few of you may know I wasn't to impressed with the Honda when it was first introduced but now I am really unimpressed.

So Anyway back to my question. Has anyone else had any problems like this? If so did Honda take care of it?

timscherer
03-22-2004, 11:05 AM
TRX11T,

I had the same problem with mine, I was out riding for a few hours one day, and after I cleaned my quad I noticed the rear axle was slightly bent. I then reported the problem to the dealership and had them examine the problem.

At first, Honda was not going to replace it, but the dealership had a local/region Honda Rep. examine the problem and he had it replaced as a goodwill case (???). They stated that if this was to happen again that I would be responsible for replacing the axle.

I raced my 400ex at MX tracks using the stock axle with +2" wheel spacers per side and it held up for 2 seasons without any problems. The axle on the 450R is made of a lighter material than what was used on the 400ex to save weight. Not only did they save weight, but also sacrificed the strength of the axle as well.

If Honda does not replace your axle I would recommend to replace the rear axle with an aftermarket axle with a lifetime warranty ex.Durablue. If Honda receives enough complaints about the rear axle on the 450R, I would hope they improve on it for next year models, and possibly a recall?

Good Luck,
Tim

JWhite
03-22-2004, 12:38 PM
Been jumping hard here. No problems yet. I'll keep my eye on it now.

400exBro
03-22-2004, 07:17 PM
don't go durabreak... LSR or RPM are the only axles you should consider for racing mx or if you jump...

norrisboat
03-22-2004, 08:33 PM
I have a stock trx450r axle if any of you guys want it. Pm me.

trx11t
03-26-2004, 04:19 PM
Thanks but I already replaced it for him. I don't like to be responsible for someone else not riding. I guess I need to be a little more careful next time I borrow someone's 450R.

400extracc
03-27-2004, 12:23 AM
400exbro is right!!! i picked up a durablue over the winter and just took it out the other day. was riding along when my quad just stopped? the motor was running but the it wasn't go'n anywhere. i looked around and noticed that the sprocket hub was cracked!!!!!! my motor is bone stock othe then the bolt ons.
i called durablue and they said they wont cover it. told me to send them a pic. of it. it did, just got a mail back from them. not to clear on what they said? the guy told me to send my credit card info for shipping costes. was talking bout a steel hub that was stronger. so i'm not to sure if they are sending me a new one. the dame thing cost me alot of money. whats $50 TO THEM TO KEEP A CUSTOMER HAPPY?

WOracing19
03-29-2004, 05:01 PM
i havent had a problem yet with my 450r. thanx for finding the problem. i have to keep an eye on it now. but i did go riding on these railroad tracks. come to see it was pulling. so i stopped and i blew my right front tire:confused: i dont know what happened, i didnt hit anyhting.