PDA

View Full Version : Funky noise from left side of engine

toby400ex
03-21-2004, 08:21 PM
I went riding today with my new 426 kit, im running no base gasket and a .047 head gasket i think, so its not 11:1 like what its said to be. Im running 93 octane pump gas so i dont think the noise could be pinging. When i take off from 2nd or just dont feather the clutch at all from a dead start the clinky clinky noise comes from the left side of the engine. Its kind of hard to tell if its that side but im pretty sure it is. Its done this before but only when i would really lug the engine, i thought it was clutch chatter. But now its doing it alot, way more than normal. The clutch is somewhat new (a few months old) with hd springs. Anyone have a clue wtf this noise is?

quad
03-21-2004, 08:32 PM
I just posted the same type of question the other day.Many thought it was from lugging,which may cause the same problem.Mine does the same thing as yours is doing.I figured out that its the chain slapping against the skid plate.To be certain,I removed my skid plate and the noise was gone.Upon inspection of the plate,I noticed it was a lil bent,about 2 inches in front of the rear sprocket.I thought i repaired it,but it is still doing it.But atleast i know its nothing serious.By the way im using the stock skid plate.Hope this helps ya out.

toby400ex
03-21-2004, 08:46 PM
I know mine isnt hte skid plate smacking the chain. I really wish it was that simple. This is a clicking noise from the inside of my engine.:(

Greg Z
03-21-2004, 09:33 PM
its your cam chian i dont think you have to worry about anything

Martin Blair
03-21-2004, 09:35 PM
i noticed this at the dunes my bike was doing the sanme, under accl after lugging it arround. I thouhgt it might be detanation so i put some 110 in it and it didnt help, i thought i might have loose valve adjuster im going to check on.

gojk
03-22-2004, 05:17 PM
I get the exact same thing with my 87 mm 11:1 Wiseco and hotcom stg 2. I have been trying everything to get rid of it. It only does it when it is hot and under load. And it def sounds like it is coming from the left side.

toby400ex
03-22-2004, 05:21 PM
IT shouldnt be my cam chain, since it is new, and since the cam chain is on the right side of the engine.

Greg Z
03-22-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
IT shouldnt be my cam chain, since it is new, and since the cam chain is on the right side of the engine. uhh .. i dunno what ur talking about but Im pretty damn sure the cam chain is on the left side when your sitting on the quad..:blah:

Bad Habit
03-22-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Greg Z
uhh .. i dunno what ur talking about but Im pretty damn sure the cam chain is on the left side when your sitting on the quad..:blah:

No, the cam chain is on the right side of the motor as you are setting on the bike.

The cam chain tensioner might be bound up or something, but if it were that, I would think that the motor would be sputtering a little due to the slack in the cam messing up the timing a bit. Did you have the stator cover off at all during the rebuild? Maybe something is in there??????????

toby400ex
03-22-2004, 07:38 PM
I had the stator cover off in october, but it hasnt starting making this noise much till now. I wish an engine builder or someone with some knowledge could help me.:(

markeg192
03-22-2004, 08:06 PM
Have you checked your air pressure?????

toby400ex
03-22-2004, 08:12 PM
Well my front right tire does have a leak, so ill check into that. Since of course a leak from the wrong side of the quad and not having to do with the engine could cause me too think its coming from the left side of my engine.;)

kickin440
03-22-2004, 08:45 PM
It sounds like operator error to me...:rolleyes: :D
Really though Have you thought about maybe the head gasket?
when mine started doing that same thing it was leaking.
Its hard to do but I got on it and lugged it down and put my hand around the gasket and found a leak on the back left corner. Its pretty hard to do that without burning the crap out of yourself though:D

shamisc
03-22-2004, 10:30 PM
When you put your cam chain tensioner back in, you did retract it before you put it in, right?:confused: If not, you could be re-doing the whole valve train! (cam, rockers, cam chain, cam sprocket, head, etc.):( :eek: :eek2:

gojk
03-22-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by shamisc
When you put your cam chain tensioner back in, you did retract it before you put it in, right?:confused: If not, you could be re-doing the whole valve train! (cam, rockers, cam chain, cam sprocket, head, etc.):( :eek: :eek2:

I don't see how that matters. What is the difference in how it tightens up?

shamisc
03-22-2004, 11:40 PM
It's a one-way type mechanism. When you take it out it extends all the way, but it can't be pushed back in. You have to remove the phillips screw cap and turn the inside screw to retract it. If you just pull it out and then put it back in, it's at it's full extension and it will put one hell of a bind on the cam chain and every other part I mentioned above. You'd be lucky to get 3 hours out of the engine!:(

markeg192
03-23-2004, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by shamisc
It's a one-way type mechanism. When you take it out it extends all the way, but it can't be pushed back in. You have to remove the phillips screw cap and turn the inside screw to retract it. If you just pull it out and then put it back in, it's at it's full extension and it will put one hell of a bind on the cam chain and every other part I mentioned above. You'd be lucky to get 3 hours out of the engine!:(

Colby knows this . But isn't it funny how many tear thier engines apart and reassemble witout knowing.

Knips178
03-23-2004, 07:19 AM
so what's the proper way to remove the tensioner? unscrew the phillips head ccw untill it's all the way in and then remove the tensioner? then how do you reinstall it? make sure it's all the way in and bult it on, then turn screw head back cw until what it clicks or something?

toby400ex
03-23-2004, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Knips178
so what's the proper way to remove the tensioner? unscrew the phillips head ccw untill it's all the way in and then remove the tensioner? then how do you reinstall it? make sure it's all the way in and bult it on, then turn screw head back cw until what it clicks or something? I took the whole tensioner off, took the screw out, then adjusted out the tensioner thing. While i still had the screwdriver inside the tensioner i bolted it back on the engine. So its not that.

toby400ex
03-23-2004, 04:53 PM
bump

gojk
03-23-2004, 08:01 PM
I hate to say this, but I found what my problem was. The head studs pulled loose. I am not sure it is the same thing but it sounds like it. The noise I heard sounded kinda like piston slap or something on the top left part of the engine.

Try what Mickey says in the first post in this thread about trying to tighten the studs to 35-40lbs.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83162

toby400ex
03-23-2004, 08:10 PM
If the head studs pulled wouldnt I be shooting air out of the head gasket? I put my hand down by the head gasket and no puffs of air came out, there are also no oil leaks.

gojk
03-23-2004, 08:21 PM
That is exactly what I thought. I will have the new studs in a couple of days, and I will let you know if it solves the problem.

markeg192
03-24-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by gojk
That is exactly what I thought. I will have the new studs in a couple of days, and I will let you know if it solves the problem.

What does it take to install them?

toby400ex
03-24-2004, 06:58 PM
I dont know much about engines but it doesnt make any damn sense to me that i wouldnt lose compression and be blowing air out of my gasket areas if i pulled the studs.:huh

gojk
03-25-2004, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by markeg192
What does it take to install them?

Drill and tap the jug, then install the new studs.

duncanracing400
03-25-2004, 04:46 PM
y didnt u put a base gasket on?

markeg192
03-25-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by duncanracing400
y didnt u put a base gasket on?

To raise the compression up where it should be. Mickey explains it in the Tech Forum.