PDA

View Full Version : 400ex twist throttle?

AC 400 ex 02
03-21-2004, 07:38 PM
over the fall i crashed pretty good and broke my thumb throttle, instead of buying a whole new assembly im going to try a twist throttle setup, has anyone tried the motion pro twist throttle kit before? and how did you like it, any response would be great, thanks

Toadz400
03-21-2004, 07:47 PM
All I can say is get ready for some more crashes:devil:

Are you used to dirtbikes or motorcycles with twist throttles? If you aren't you really shouldn't get a twist throttle..they can be very dangerous on a quad, especially if you aren't used to them at all. My opinion is stay away from twist throttles and just get a new thumb throttle, more safe and more comfortable to use on a quad.

QuadRacer041
03-22-2004, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by Toadz400
All I can say is get ready for some more crashes:devil:

Are you used to dirtbikes or motorcycles with twist throttles? If you aren't you really shouldn't get a twist throttle..they can be very dangerous on a quad, especially if you aren't used to them at all. My opinion is stay away from twist throttles and just get a new thumb throttle, more safe and more comfortable to use on a quad.

how the heck is he supossed to get used to it if he never tries it????????????:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
like everything else in life when you first try it, it may fell weird but there is a learing and getting used to it period.ive always run a twist and it is very comforatable and have never crashed due to having it.
alot of my freinds always say i want to try a twist out can i ride your bike, so i say yea go ahead.they take a lap or 2 come back and say, i cant ride that friggin thing. well of coarse not u only rode it for 5 minutes.
you need to give it a chance, learn how to use it then decide if u like it.and trying for a just one ride isnt gonna be enough.

maybe people shouldnt ride above there skill level when there not used to something, thats why they crash.:rolleyes:

give it a fiar shot they make your decision

thomez
03-22-2004, 07:14 AM
Unless you are used to one on another application, it isn't a wise decision. When "breaking it in" might include "breaking your neck" I don't think it is worth the change. I had one on the Blaze and it was impossible to ride through rough terrain like woops, very hard to jump with, etc.

On a dirt bike you are able to hang on with your legs more than your arms and a good part of turning is about body movement. A quad requires a little more arm movement and trying to keep your hand from twisting at a bad moment is the last thing you need to be worrying about. I was coming down on landings and of course your arm is going to jolt, which means that your hand is going to spin, which, at least on my Cdale, meant I was landing then doing a wheelie until I could get it under control.

This isn't to mention the time it stuck WFO over a double and my bike did about 5 cartwheels.

I will admit I started getting used to it in the woods, but it is awful for trying to climb hills, the natural motion involved turns out to be death defying.

Buy a thumb, save you a lot of headaches and maybe a trip to the hospital. If you can't afford a new thumb from Honda, I don't know how much they are, they sell Cannondale ones on Ebay for like $25 brand spankin new, and they are probably the most comfy thumb throttle in my experience.

Good luck either way. :macho

QuadRacer041
03-22-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by thomez
Unless you are used to one on another application, it isn't a wise decision. When "breaking it in" might include "breaking your neck" I don't think it is worth the change. I had one on the Blaze and it was impossible to ride through rough terrain like woops, very hard to jump with, etc.

On a dirt bike you are able to hang on with your legs more than your arms and a good part of turning is about body movement. A quad requires a little more arm movement and trying to keep your hand from twisting at a bad moment is the last thing you need to be worrying about. I was coming down on landings and of course your arm is going to jolt, which means that your hand is going to spin, which, at least on my Cdale, meant I was landing then doing a wheelie until I could get it under control.

This isn't to mention the time it stuck WFO over a double and my bike did about 5 cartwheels.

I will admit I started getting used to it in the woods, but it is awful for trying to climb hills, the natural motion involved turns out to be death defying.

Buy a thumb, save you a lot of headaches and maybe a trip to the hospital. If you can't afford a new thumb from Honda, I don't know how much they are, they sell Cannondale ones on Ebay for like $25 brand spankin new, and they are probably the most comfy thumb throttle in my experience.

Good luck either way. :macho

when you first learned how to ride were u able to hit doubles and blaze through whoops at the same speed you can now????i doubt it.
there is a learning curve, a twist is not for everyone but it can be done and very safely too.

------------> done with a twist

QuadRacer041
03-22-2004, 08:56 AM
---------> done with a twist

Quadzilla
03-22-2004, 09:38 AM
Ok guys,

I've spent many years riding with both twists and thumbs and I'm here to tell you that overall I feel a twist is better. After an all-day ride, the thumb thing is fatiguging. Most of my friends that have thumb throttles are b!itching 5 or 6 hours into our ride about their poor thumbs hurting. Not me, I just keep on twisting.

Another issue is safety. I keep all four fingers AND my thumb wrapped around my grip at all times. A few of my buddies have had the bars ripped from their hands while using the thumb in rocky terrain.

As for twisting while on a jump or whoops, you think that dirtbikes don't bounce around, etc? Come on man!

QuadRacer041
03-22-2004, 09:58 AM
Another issue is safety. I keep all four fingers AND my thumb wrapped around my grip at all times. A few of my buddies have had the bars ripped from their hands while using the thumb in rocky terrain.

execlant point i totally forgot!

thomez
03-22-2004, 10:22 AM
Safety?

So when you do manage to get jarred while you are holding on with all your might, how do you not twist that throttle in the process? Well ... most often you do.

When holding on and applying throttle are done in the same manner, you can addicentally apply throttle much easier than if you are holding on for your life with a thumb. In those moments you can get the thrumb off the throttle and hold on completely to the bars, just like a twist, but you won't be accelerating accidentally in the process.

The only advantage of a twist over a thumb on an ATV is thumb fatigue. I can think of no other legitimate reasons you would be better off with a twist.

But maybe I don't know anything... :rolleyes:

QuadRacer041
03-22-2004, 10:35 AM
But maybe I don't know anything...

good point

Quadzilla
03-22-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by thomez
Safety?

So when you do manage to get jarred while you are holding on with all your might, how do you not twist that throttle in the process? Well ... most often you do.

When holding on and applying throttle are done in the same manner, you can addicentally apply throttle much easier than if you are holding on for your life with a thumb. In those moments you can get the thrumb off the throttle and hold on completely to the bars, just like a twist, but you won't be accelerating accidentally in the process.

The only advantage of a twist over a thumb on an ATV is thumb fatigue. I can think of no other legitimate reasons you would be better off with a twist.

But maybe I don't know anything... :rolleyes:

Somehow the dirtbikers have been dealing with this issue for over a hundred years. I've NEVER had an issue because of it and I've been riding MX, CC etc agressivelysince the 80's with both twist and thumb.

Pappy
03-22-2004, 11:02 AM
i recieved my twist for my YFZ friday. i have riden with thumb but i have riden quads with a twist. as quad041 stated, a few laps wont get you used to it. I know going into this it will take time for me to learn it but after the learning curve i look forward to many happy hours with the hammer down and not spending the next day with a my right hand in a bucket of ice. some of us that suffer from severe carpel tunnel issues dont really have a choice...its twist or pain.

Quadzilla
03-22-2004, 02:17 PM
You get used to it quickly (a couple of days tops). Feels funky at first, but it won;t take long. Plenty of guys out there racing with the twist. Somehow they manage...

AC 400 ex 02
03-22-2004, 03:41 PM
hey guys i didnt want this to turn into a little war, i just wanted some feedback, i thank you all for your input, my best friend, who i always ride with rides a cr 125 and its twist, i really liked the feel of twist and always having a good grip, he said the arm pump action goes away really quick once you get used to it, i ride really hard, im willing to take my chances with it, its gonna take getting used to but i think i will like it, thanks again for all your inputs

xcntry
03-22-2004, 06:04 PM
Definetly get the twist. I've also ridden with both for many years. After getting my first twist I've had one ever since. As far as getting into trouble and hanging on. I've found that more often than not you use the throttle to get out of trouble. I,ve never had a problem. I love my twist throttle!:D

Toadz400
03-22-2004, 06:10 PM
Quad041, all I have to say to you is get that damn tampon out of your ***:huh

Seriously, I just gave my opinion on it and you spazzed on me...I was just saying if he isn't used to a twist AT ALL he really shouldn't get one. I've ridden twist throttles on dirtbikes and quads, and I've always found the thumb throttle to be a lot better for my style of riding which can get bumpy and involve jumps. Unlike some people I hang onto the bars so sometimes I end up with the engine going WOT.

As for the thumb fatigue, some people are weaker than others and tire out easily. My thumbs have never gotten tired after I started riding everyday, I can ride for hours and keep on going without my thumb feeling tired or weak at all.

I was just stating my opinion, so next time read exactly what I said and don't overreact!

QuadRacer041
03-22-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Quad041, all I have to say to you is get that damn tampon out of your ***:huh

Seriously, I just gave my opinion on it and you spazzed on me...I was just saying if he isn't used to a twist AT ALL he really shouldn't get one. I've ridden twist throttles on dirtbikes and quads, and I've always found the thumb throttle to be a lot better for my style of riding which can get bumpy and involve jumps. Unlike some people I hang onto the bars so sometimes I end up with the engine going WOT.

As for the thumb fatigue, some people are weaker than others and tire out easily. My thumbs have never gotten tired after I started riding everyday, I can ride for hours and keep on going without my thumb feeling tired or weak at all.

I was just stating my opinion, so next time read exactly what I said and don't overreact!

i didnt spazz on you, you gave your opinion and i gave mine, your trying to say that its not a good idea, and who are you?mr atv know it all???
u even say in this post that the thumb suits your style of riding but maybe it doesnt suit his.
just because you can handle a twist doesnt mean he or anyone else cant.
and what do you mean when u say "unlike most people u hang on to the bars"
u trying to say i cant ride.
do a little home work my freind and you'll see your wrong.

:rolleyes: