PDA

View Full Version : Just got a 300ex

NaturalNoobie
03-21-2004, 06:53 PM
I just got a brand new 2003 300ex yesterday..Do I have to break it in? What kind of maintenance is needed? This is my first quad so I'm sorry for all the questions..:)

cheezy400
03-21-2004, 07:26 PM
yes your going to have to break it in. once its broken in your going to want to change the oil

NaturalNoobie
03-21-2004, 07:30 PM
How exactly do I break it in tho?

cheezy400
03-21-2004, 07:43 PM
ride it like u would normally ride it but do not over rev the engine and keep the rpms low. when doing this let the quad warm up and cool down completly. your going to want to do this for the first maybe second tank of gas

dirtmomma
03-21-2004, 07:45 PM
Well everyone says to do it different but I would just take it out & ride it easy on & off the throttle for a little bit then go a little more & a little more then...................RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!;) Didn't get mine brand new but did a new piston in it & thats w hat we did & havne't had a problem at all. YES def change the oil religiously ;) it will last forever!! GOOD LUCK & HAVE FUN:blah:

beak7707
03-21-2004, 07:52 PM
You just take it easy on it for a while. Don't run it wide open, and vary the throttle. Don't hold it at a constant speed, but don't open it up for at least a tank of gas. After about 5 or 10 hours it will be good to go. After a few hours you will want to check your valve clearances, if its off then adjust your valves. Also then is just what the factory recommends. But I've seen people get a brand new quad and run it wide open from the get go. So its not a life or death situation, it just helps break in the rings and get everything going. After that keep your oil changed, air filter clean, lube the chain and adjust it, and you should be good to go.

RideRedEX
03-21-2004, 08:18 PM
a 300 is like a tank. i rode mine easy for the first half hour, making sure it was circulating oil and everthing was working and tight. after that i just rode the crap out of it. i flipped it and buried it in a mud hole the first day i had it. It still ran good 2 years later when i got rid of it.

NaturalNoobie
03-21-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by beak7707
You just take it easy on it for a while. Don't run it wide open, and vary the throttle. Don't hold it at a constant speed, but don't open it up for at least a tank of gas. After about 5 or 10 hours it will be good to go. After a few hours you will want to check your valve clearances, if its off then adjust your valves. Also then is just what the factory recommends. But I've seen people get a brand new quad and run it wide open from the get go. So its not a life or death situation, it just helps break in the rings and get everything going. After that keep your oil changed, air filter clean, lube the chain and adjust it, and you should be good to go.

Adjust the valves? Well I rode it for an hour like u said..Then I kinda got it up to speed..I was getting tired of riding it slow. Did I do any kind of damge or do you think its fine?

Wayne64SS
03-21-2004, 08:45 PM
dude your fine .... i just bought one myself red 300 2003 just like yours prolly. it was a left over i got a great deal on it ... mind if i ask what you paid? Mine i just finished breaking in and i am very happy with it. I rode it kinda easy for like the first few hours then i got bored and started to have fun. now i ride the **** out of it. Its my first quad so im sure i was hella worse on it then most people breaking em in. Mine is fine and i just ran out of second tank of fuel. gonan change the oil tomorrow. im gonna use the honda oil and fiilter. good luck with it i hope you're as happy as me.

NaturalNoobie
03-21-2004, 09:16 PM
I paid 5 grand for it total with extended warranty:D

Wayne64SS
03-21-2004, 09:41 PM
how much was the warranty cause i paid $4100 for mine including tax and everything else. just curious not tryin to bust your balls. i didint get a extenede warranty its a honda you dont need that ****

#1wvexrider
03-21-2004, 09:53 PM
I have seen people let them idle for 20 to 30 minutes then just ran it like they stoled it and others broke them in for a tank and they both ran the same side by side still a year later. So just have fun. it is just what you want to do with it.

NaturalNoobie
03-21-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Wayne64SS
how much was the warranty cause i paid $4100 for mine including tax and everything else. just curious not tryin to bust your balls. i didint get a extenede warranty its a honda you dont need that ****

2003 300ex yellow: 3,800
Extended Warranty: 600
Freight & Dealership Prep: 200
Sales Tax: 275
Other: Docing fee, ect..(not sure or price)
It came out to 4,950 when it was all done and over with.

I am very pleased with the way it performs. Hondas are built like a rock.:macho

Wayne64SS
03-22-2004, 05:11 AM
thatscool sounds decent. how long was the extended warranty for.... i think the reason mine was cheaper is cause my dealer didnt charge me any shipping crating or gettin reaedy fees. just $3700 plus NYS tax and i think maybe $20 for paperwork. You'll be happy with it im sure. I cant wait to cahnge my oil today!

andrew360
03-22-2004, 10:40 AM
5 grand? Wow, my local 'zuk dealer is selling brand-new Z-400s "out the door" for $5400; incl. tax, reg, everything....

4wheelboy
03-23-2004, 01:16 PM
wow for 5 grand i would have saved for alittle and got a 450. anyways i always break engines in slow then go lil faster then faster then faster. i got my 2000 300ex for 2500 last year and its still running like a beast . just remeber to change your oil about every 15-20 hours if your not racing;)

miken
03-23-2004, 01:46 PM
I'm not trying to buck the system here, and I know its not the popular opinion, but ride it hard. You only get one chance to seat those rings properly. Check out this site, it explains the reasoning.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Mike -