PDA

View Full Version : Dirtbikes in Dunes?

Bobbs07
03-21-2004, 06:49 PM
Hey i was wondering how my cr250 would do in the Dunes with a paddle tire in the back and how much it would run me for sand tires for the front and back? Does anyone know if you hook up good on bikes? Is it even fun or are you always all flying all around becuz the front tire gets in grooves and jerks you?:confused: Thanks for the info

2001400ex
03-21-2004, 07:04 PM
From the videos I've seen on www.dunereview.com the dirtbikes definitely look like they can hold their own in the dunes. My guess is you'll be fine, especially with a paddle on the back.

When my dad had his KX250 it did fine in the sandpits, with no paddle, and my JR50 would do fine even.

RH1N08d9
03-21-2004, 08:26 PM
I rode my old cr125 once at lil sahara, and it was fun! I slid a lil bit, but if you take some time to get used to it, it should feel normal! my dad used to ride bikes in the sand, and he said that after a while, you get used to how it handles! and a rear paddle is anywhere from 40 to 70 bucks!

wilkin250r
03-21-2004, 11:26 PM
It's more difficult to ride aggressively in the dunes. The sand is soft, and your tires will want to sink. You can't cut a hard corner like you can on hardpack. Your front tire will want to "wander" at low speeds.

Once you get on the gas, you begin to ride on top of the sand, instead of trying to knife through it. The front tire will stop wandering, and the whole bike just becomes more stable. When you keep your speed up, the terrain feels just the same as regular dirt. However, be careful, and remember the instability at low speeds. You may tend to forget this fact when you are riding fast, because it feels natural at high speeds, but then you slow down to corner and your front tire wanders off in a direction you're not intending to go, like into a bush. Instability at low speeds, which includes corners. :)

duneittilludie
03-26-2004, 11:50 PM
A cr 250 in the sand is very fast if you know how to ride it in thesand which is way different than dirt riding.You must keep your weight shifted more to the back of the seat or your front end will dig in too much and it will be very hard to steer and you have to rev your motor a lot harder to get the sme momentum that you would on dirt.If you do ride your cr in the sand you will probably want to richen up your main jet so you can avoid heating up too much with the extra load that riding in the sand creates.I rode extended swingarm dirt bikes in the sand for years and it can be more fun than you can imagine and with the proper paddle tire you can literally climb anything that you you are willing to attempt.

oynot400
03-29-2004, 08:23 AM
I took my KTM 400 EXC to the dunes for the first time. Here is a tip for you I learned the hard way. Check your fork tube adjustment in the triple clamp. If the front wheel feels like it is wanting to dive in the sand, drop the forks down flush with triple clamp. I had a difficult time until I figured that out.
Your CR250 should get along great in the sand. Power should not be a problem and a paddle tire will really help out. :D

airheadedduner
03-29-2004, 09:15 AM
It is very tiring. I was flat exhuasted after about 30 min. But I am not used to dirtbikes either:p

oynot400
03-29-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
It is very tiring. I was flat exhuasted after about 30 min. But I am not used to dirtbikes either:p
I got along great on my bike, but like you said it is what you are use to. I remember looking down at the speedo going over a whoop section of the trail. 42 mph! :eek: I know I would of never gone that fast on my quad.
I would think sand condition would make a difference also. You would be able to get around better on a wet damp sand compaired to a loose dry sand.

gojk
03-29-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by oynot400
I got along great on my bike, but like you said it is what you are use to. I remember looking down at the speedo going over a whoop section of the trail. 42 mph! :eek: I know I would of never gone that fast on my quad.
I would think sand condition would make a difference also. You would be able to get around better on a wet damp sand compaired to a loose dry sand.

If you think 42 is fast, ride in a long travel rail. We were flying through the flats with whoops at Buttercup at 78 MPH(Suspension makes it feel as if you are on the intersate), and hit 68 up comp hill. This was in a Tatum Rail with a LS1 built by redline racing pulling 630 HP. Oh ya, 28 inches of wheel travel all the way around.

oynot400
03-29-2004, 11:51 AM
One year when we were down to LS Ok. We got to ride in a North Star power buggy. We hit 90 mph so fast! :devil: I don't think I have ever rode in anything that was faster.
When I was going over the whoops at 40+ mph, my buddy went by at 5th gear pinned and made me feel like I was standing still. Now I know what the rest of 125 class feels like when Bubba passes them. :p I do know that I was going fast enough for that day.

F-16Guy
03-29-2004, 07:22 PM
It's a blast once you get used to it. There are lots of big jumps to be found in the dunes, if that's your thing (I know it's mine!). Here are a couple of tips:
1. Trim the rear shock guard (the little flap of plastic that hangs down in front of the rear tire). Your paddle will swell when it starts spinning fast, and will chew the thing off.
2. Run as little pressure in the front tire as you can; it will help it float on the sand, and will make your bike handle way better at lower speeds.
3. Run the paddle pretty soft, too, but make sure the bead-lock is tight, otherwise your tire will turn on the rim and might break the valve stem.
4. Go faster than you think you need to go; as soon as you cut the throttle, your bike will slow down really fast--especially at the top of a hill.

airheadedduner
03-30-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by oynot400
I am also only like 5'3-5'4 and it was a KX250:o