PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone added fins to the 400ex stock oil tank??

AAAirbooorn
03-21-2004, 06:36 PM
I'm hoping to get a little cooling affect..

James Parent
03-21-2004, 06:57 PM
Heatsink for a oil tank

:rolleyes:

AAAirbooorn
03-21-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by James Parent
Heatsink for a oil tank

Run that by me again?? I live DEEP in the woods:D

They ought to have a smiley face with a tooth missing.

TORO1968
03-21-2004, 07:17 PM
Heatsink for a oil tank

Why you say that? It's actually a good idea. :rolleyes:

Hey AAAirbooorn, what are your plans for this? Materials, sizing, etc??

-Jordan

James Parent
03-21-2004, 07:20 PM
a heatsink is like.. for a processor on a computer it looks like this

|_|_|_|_|_|
========

the processor is the horizontal double line and theres a plate on top with fins on it, this makes cooling like 1000 times better..... the same thing is on your engine.. when you just said fins it made me think of a heatsink

matt6951
03-21-2004, 07:41 PM
Heatsink for a oil tank

whats wrong with that?

AAAirbooorn
03-21-2004, 08:15 PM
Yes okay.
Yeah, maybe I can get a heatsink from a computer or from anything and find a glue or some kind of adhesive that stands up to and absorbs heat from the oil tank, to hold the heatsink in place.

Sounds great in theory and it could be lots cheaper than buying a $200 oversized tank that adds weight to the quad. No offence to tank manufacturers.

It might look pretty cool too.:cool:

Question is , will it be worth the trouble. I mean , how much heat could this thing dissapate? Tests would have to be run and I always hated tests.:D

James Parent
03-21-2004, 08:19 PM
haha you don't have to actually take the heatsink off a CPU but im sure puttling some kind of strips of copper would do something.. it would prob look horrible though

AAAirbooorn
03-21-2004, 08:28 PM
haha you don't have to actually take the heatsink off a CPU but im sure puttling some kind of strips of copper would do something.. it would prob look horrible though

Like somehow wrap the tank with stripps if copper ? would this absorb heat from the tank? What about copper wire?

I ain't gonna have nothin that looks stupid, just watch my jumping if you wanna see stupid. I'll make the tank look like a million bucks.

AAAirbooorn
03-26-2004, 06:34 PM
Okay guys, I got some fins(heatsink) off a car radio and it's the perfect size to mount on the front of the oil tank. It's made of aluminum.

I want to avoid drilling into the tank if possible....

Does anyone know of a strong ADHESIVE that will allow the heat to travel freely between the oil tank and the heatsink ???

What about JB Weld ???

04trx450R
03-26-2004, 06:44 PM
Well, I dont think JB weld would be good, I dont think it is a very good conductor,,,, If you could figure a way to solder it on that would be good,,,, Personally I think your original idea was good, I a assuming the tank is made of steel, you could just weld fins onto it,,, you could make it look good. But if you want to do what you have,, if you cant find an adhesive that is good you could jut strap it on real tight,, as long as the metal is touching good you will dissapate heat

Juggalo
03-26-2004, 08:16 PM
the tank is not made out of steel. if i was doing this i'd use the adhesive they use for computer chips. not sure what its called maybe batgeek or one of the other computer savvy guys can help you out here.

y2k400ex
03-26-2004, 08:18 PM
First of all if you wabt to attach sone thing to the stock tank its made of aluminum and it can be welded easly

You can modify the stock tank to hold an extra quart. I have had mine done for over a year no problems at all :D

hondafox440
03-26-2004, 08:40 PM
If you can't get it on (or don't aluminum weld) you may want to check out EPI in Manchester, it's a machine shop. They dop some excellent work and even make custom choppers..

AAAirbooorn
03-27-2004, 04:32 AM
Nice job Y2K!!:macho

y2k400ex
03-27-2004, 06:45 AM
I buddy of mine did that for me if you interested just PM : KAWSAM62

PhilMoore
03-27-2004, 08:31 AM
Y2k400ex. That extra capacity stock oil tank is a great idea. That has to be in the top 10 best home made mods I have seen. I haven't seen that before. Can you take another pic or two from different angles. I think I will try that. I have a tig welder, and some aluminum sheets I had planned on using to make an airbox. If I screw it up, I would just get a new pre-made oversized one.

Since the tank is aluminum, and the CPU coolers are aluminum, a person should be able to tack them together. Even if you glue it like others have mentioned, you will want to strip the paint so you have metal to metal contact. Maybe use that CPU grease on it and JB weld around the outside perimeter?

Stop in to a computer repair shop. They may have some old Pentium II heat sinks around that the fan has died. You should be able to get the fins for free. The PentiumII heat sinks are pretty big, and the metal on some of them is heavier duty (thicker, stronger fins) than the newer heatsinks.

Phil

Florida400EX
03-27-2004, 09:55 AM
If you JB weld it on there, it won't serve a purpose. To get its full potential, you'd probaly need to go into drilling to hold it in place, then thermally couple it to seal it.