PDA

View Full Version : 416 setup

Andrew400ex
03-21-2004, 10:01 AM
I have had my Wiseco 416 11:1 piston sitting around for a while and now i dont have a 400ex, but will soon that i will be building from scratch. Motor wise,wut is your opinions on how to set up this motor? I was planning on the piston with a Hot cam stage II, some type of port and polish( i dont know what types there is,so fill me in) and titanium valve springs. As for the carb, can i leave it stock? Do you recommend getting an aftermarket? If so wut company and how big? And for that Sparks Timing Chain, wut's it do for the engine and is it recommended? Also i will be running a HMF exhaust with a K&N. Thanks for your help, i just wanna get all my stuff staight beforei go into this project.

DantheEXman
03-21-2004, 10:25 AM
I have a 416 11:1 with a hot cams stage 1. Mild Port and Polish, Lightened flywheel, Sparks x-6 exhaust, K and N, an a Sparks timing advance key.

I didn't need the valve springs, timing chain, or anything else modified internally.

It runs fine on 93 pump gas and seems very reliable.

But If you want to cover all the bases, then yeah, your on the right track. Just a mild port and polish will help out a lot, and maybe lighten the flywheel too. Other than that it sounds good.

Good luck.

Cole Trane
03-21-2004, 10:59 AM
I've been wanting to do the same thing, but maybe a 426 or 440. How much does it cost to do everything you need to do?? I'd just like a estimate, sorry to ask another question on your post. :o :o

DantheEXman
03-21-2004, 11:20 AM
To get my motor bored, piston installed, fly wheel lightened, head ported (mild), hotcams installed, new clutch installed, timing key installed, and carb adjusted.

It cost 500.

Colby@C&DRacing
03-21-2004, 11:22 AM
I would run the JE or Ross 416 kit. I use the 10.8:1 pistons they run really well on premium pump gas and even better on some race gas. The hot cam stage II pulls really hard when used with one of these pistons. I charge $120 to port and polish the 400ex head and $45 for the three angle valve job. You can use the stock carb it runs well but if you go with an after carb you will see a big gain:eek2: I recommend the 39mm FCR. As for the timing key they do help but create more heat so be careful not the melt it down. Run air scoops and a good synthetic oil.:)

Andrew400ex
03-21-2004, 03:01 PM
Well i've heard that the JE is lighter than the Wiseco and can rev faster, however i dont have much of a choice. when i bought one of my previous 400ex's it came with a brand new wiseco 416 piston kit that he never put in,and either did i - yet. So forgot about that timing advance key or w/e but how do u lighten your fly wheel and what exactly is the three angle valve job? Do you recommend titanium valve springs? How much better are they than stock? Is stock campatable with a worked engine? Thanks and sorry for all the questions.

cals400ex
03-21-2004, 04:16 PM
you will need to send your in to a shop to lighten your flywheel. this will make the bike want to stall easier though. however, the bike is suppose to rev out quicker too. the valve job is mainly work done to the valves to improve the flow for a little more performance. i probably will get titanium springs/retainers when i do it. is it worth it? probably not. however, i want all i can get out of the bike with the amount of cash i will be putting in it. depending on the cam you run, you may need heavy duty springs or they may only be highly recommended. however, titanium is no where near a must. heavy duty ones that aren't titanium is what most everyone runs. the stock ones will probably be pushed to their limits on a worked engine especially if your running an aftermarket ignition box. however, regular heavy duty springs aren't that expensive.