PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever blow up an ATV tire?

250rAL
03-21-2004, 09:16 AM
I know I start getting nervous when I'm beading up a tire and it's at 20-25lbs with my hand in the middle of it. Just how much does it take to get one to let go? It would be neat to hook one to a compressor with a LONG hose and just keep putting air in until it goes. And maybe videotape it. Try this at home somebody.

beak7707
03-21-2004, 09:40 AM
I have had them up around 70 PSI, and never had one let go.

WEEZIL
03-21-2004, 09:43 AM
Thats the most stupid idea I have ever hear.. NOW
if you want to blow up an atv tire get yourself some starting fluid. spray the inside of the tire real good with it and make a line over the side of the tire and on the ground about 20 or preferably more feet long. drop a match on that sucker and BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! They sometimes use that to bead bigrig tires. but i am warning you. you CAN die. or get injured hideously. so dont act like I didnt tell you.

300exQuadracer
03-21-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by beak7707
I have had them up around 70 PSI, and never had one let go.

i had the worst trouble getting my old fast trekkers to seat up so i took them up to 90psi with a ratchet strap around the tire and they still didnt seat,

if you want to blow up an atv tire get yourself some starting fluid. spray the inside of the tire real good with it and make a line over the side of the tire and on the ground about 20 or preferably more feet long. drop a match on that sucker and BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM![/B]

i live on a farm and thats how we used to seat all our truck/smaller tractor tires, sometimes they would bounce like 5 ft in the air, now we use a bead cheata perty much a air tank that when ya open the valve 200psi rushes out in like 3 seconds

chucked
03-21-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by WEEZIL
Thats the most stupid idea I have ever hear.. NOW
if you want to blow up an atv tire get yourself some starting fluid. spray the inside of the tire real good with it and make a line over the side of the tire and on the ground about 20 or preferably more feet long. drop a match on that sucker and BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! They sometimes use that to bead bigrig tires. but i am warning you. you CAN die. or get injured hideously. so dont act like I didnt tell you.

make sure the valve in the stem is out.

cheetah
03-21-2004, 11:19 AM
We had mine at around 125psi before mine seated.

sweet300ex
03-21-2004, 11:46 AM
ive never blew up a quad tire but i did blow up a bike tube filled with that green slime, got kinda messy

Jonesy
03-21-2004, 12:00 PM
we have blown up a branf new kenda knarly 20" tire before. i think it was a manufacturing defect b/c a huge portion of the tire just peeled back.

i have also blown up numerous bicycle tires, the tube gets pinched, blows up the tube, tire and taco's the rim all at the same time.

250rAL
03-22-2004, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by cheetah
We had mine at around 125psi before mine seated.

Sheesh! Were you near that tire at that pressure? That's more than a semi tire runs and they can kill when they let go!

ghak99
03-22-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by 300exQuadracer
i live on a farm and thats how we used to seat all our truck/smaller tractor tires, sometimes they would bounce like 5 ft in the air, now we use a bead cheata perty much a air tank that when ya open the valve 200psi rushes out in like 3 seconds

I live on a farm also, and that is how we bead all of our tires. After you do it like 50 times you get good at guessing how much starting fluid to use for the tire size. I would like to know more about your "bead cheata" where did you get it?

400exrider555
03-22-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by 250rAL
I know I start getting nervous when I'm beading up a tire and it's at 20-25lbs with my hand in the middle of it. Just how much does it take to get one to let go? It would be neat to hook one to a compressor with a LONG hose and just keep putting air in until it goes. And maybe videotape it. Try this at home somebody.

give me the tire u got a deal

kicken250x
03-22-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by 300exQuadracer

YES! i love the damn cheata! i work at a rim shop on the weekends and that thing kicks ***! try seating a 24in tire without one. IT DONT WORK! haha i use it on everything from 18 inch race rims to 16's with 38 in tires. 38's are a ****** even with the cheata. get one tho, they are great!

300exQuadracer
03-22-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by ghak99
I would like to know more about your "bead cheata" where did you get it?

i think we got ours from the mac tools man, but i`m not sure, i`m guessing that auto zone or napa could get you one

250rAL
03-23-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider555
give me the tire u got a deal

That's the problem... I've got everything to do it but an old tire. Also, I live in town and it would probably knock the neighbors out of their chairs!

jonc623
03-23-2004, 09:10 AM
napa carrys the bead cheatas they are great i have used them mounting the front tires on dump trucks they work great and as far a blowing a tire apart i had a friend who blew up a 15 inch goodyear eagle gt one time and he couldnt hear for like a week and yes they can kill you that is why semi tires are to be in a saftey cage to be inflated

rodenberg35
03-23-2004, 11:23 AM
I blew a holeshot apart one day. I put a bit to much starting fluid in it when I lit the S.O.B it blew all to hell. I thought I was going deaf. A peice of tire hit me in the arm and left a welt that stuck out about 1/2 in. Ya I about wizzed in my undies

03-23-2004, 04:14 PM
i blew up my two back kart tires. i was up the street at my friends house when the blew up and heard it pretty well. didnt do it on purpose, i wanted to ride it and put too much air in them. i might post a pic of what they look like now