PDA

View Full Version : 112 octane 300ex

Towlieee
03-20-2004, 10:32 PM
My friend has a 300ex, we picked up 5 gallons of 112 octane race gas.. The guy at the shop said it would be like 118 or 120 octane gas at the pump.. ?

We have ran about 3/4 a tank through the 4 wheeler so far and it has noticable gains in power.. Is it safe to run this gas?

I dont know exactly what mods it has.. does have fmf pipe, new filter, air lid off

Towlieee
03-21-2004, 12:08 PM
Also is it supposed to heat up alot more with race gas?

We used to be able to ride it for a few hours on end 2-3 hours straight with only brief brakes from riding of like 5 minutes.. and it would never get notibly HOT..

Now in 20 minutes of riding on race gas, the engine is radiating enough heat out to burn my legs with shorts on

MotoX3
03-21-2004, 12:32 PM
Race gas would give you MAXIMUM gains with a more modded machine..I find it a waste of money to run race gas in a basically stock machine but its your money and if you feel gains...run it:)

Towlieee
03-21-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by MotoX3
Race gas would give you MAXIMUM gains with a more modded machine..I find it a waste of money to run race gas in a basically stock machine but its your money and if you feel gains...run it:)

we dont plan to run it full time.. Just occasionally when we have some money to blow on riding

I just dont wanna hurt his engine..

03-21-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Towlieee

I just dont wanna hurt his engine.. then dont run it

hsr
03-23-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
then dont run it

it's not going to hurt anything, but it's not going to improve performance significantly either, if you don't have a heavily modded engine with a compression of over 11:1

SnellCRP
03-24-2004, 06:43 AM
High octane fuel burns slower and cooler. Which is why you have to use it in motors with high compression and advanced timing because its ability to resist preignition and detonation is better than lower octane fuel. With a stock motor because it does burn slower you may actually lose power, but it won't hurt the motor only the wallet. As far as the heat goes it may have always got as hot as you were feeling, but you probably weren't looking for it like you are now with the different fuel. My .02.

quadrider400
03-29-2004, 11:43 PM
FWIW.... Even with the mods I have done I mix my race gas with 92 octane 50/50 and have had no problems... I would save the money for parts..... :D

biker
03-30-2004, 04:39 AM
I agree you are not gaining anything by running race gas:(

why would you want to pay 4 or 5 dollars a gallon for gas when the pump gas is sufficient:huh :huh

save your money for parts:macho

Towlieee
03-30-2004, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by biker
I agree you are not gaining anything by running race gas:(

why would you want to pay 4 or 5 dollars a gallon for gas when the pump gas is sufficient:huh :huh

save your money for parts:macho

Why would you want to put aftermarket parts on your atv when stock is sufficient :confused: :confused:

;)

SnellCRP
03-30-2004, 07:14 AM
Why would you want to put aftermarket parts on your atv when stock is sufficient :confused: :confused:

;)

:huh

tstrenuous10
04-06-2004, 05:44 PM

;)

stock sux. plain and simple.

:muscle::macho