PDA

View Full Version : 400ex cams

MAD450r
03-20-2004, 10:19 PM
Now that I have my 450r, I feel its time to tear into my 400ex, I want to know where I can find other cams that will use the stock decompressor, and will work with a low compression piston.

This is what I was thinking of getting, ross 10:5:1 or 10:8:1 piston stock bore or up to 416 at most. I was looking at white brothers cam all around cam.

Anyone running that setup im anxious to hear your thoughts, and where did you purchase? Also where do you get your work done
im no mechanic but I can remove my motor from the frame ok. I wont do the engine work myself though

Bill Fuller
03-20-2004, 11:02 PM
Swapping cams is a very simple job if you can remove the motor than you can do this.You don't need to remove the motor though.I wouldn't go any higher than the 416.Good choice between the Ross and JE both a worthy.I have always recommended the TC GNCC cam pricey but well worth it,complete drop in.All you need to tackle this project is patience and basic metric tools.Let your local Honda shop do the bore.Buy a manual while there.Get a new base gasket and I would probably replace the valve seals as well,might as well do it right so you won't have to go back into the top of the motor anytime soon.

Colby@C&DRacing
03-21-2004, 11:59 AM
The WB cam is not bad but it still requires the use of harden rockers. There is no need to use the decompressor you will not even no it is not there. The motor starts better without it. I would use the Hot Cam stg I for tight trails and the stg II for eveything else.:)

MAD450r
03-21-2004, 12:05 PM
Thanks for you reply's, but I dont feel confident enough to try tackling it myself. Would rather pay a bit more to only have to get dirty when riding, not wrenching :)

RED121572
03-21-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
The WB cam is not bad but it still requires the use of harden rockers. There is no need to use the decompressor you will not even no it is not there. The motor starts better without it. I would use the Hot Cam stg I for tight trails and the stg II for eveything else.:)

The WB's cam is a drop in. I was told harden rockers will destroy that cam.

cals400ex
03-21-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by RED121572
The WB's cam is a drop in. I was told harden rockers will destroy that cam.

i think you are actually suppose to use hardened rockers with the web 450/451. however, i have talked to a couple people who use the stock rockers with good success. as far as the power goes, i don't have a clue how it will compare to the stage 2 or TC's mx grind.

SnellCRP
03-21-2004, 09:47 PM
Stock Honda rockers ARE hard faced. I have ran a TC MX cam for 4 years with stock rockers with no problems.