PDA

View Full Version : I GOT THE 400Ex

yellowrider
03-08-2002, 06:22 PM
i got the 400ex ...
2002 yellow
and its pretty darn bad better than i thought it was going to be i got a 4 year warranty on it also so that cool ...

i got a question when you go high speeds down the road it will start to vibrate ...

and how will it compare to the oh mighty raptor after rideing one for a couple of days then getting on the 400ex was a big difference i loved the 4o0 .....

also in this magazine i have it list the 400ex horrible in power and i think it came in 4th or third place i think that was a bunch of bull..

the 400ex jumps really well also.... landed smooth i loved it that is my favorite thing to do to is jump ..

what are the most common mods i can do to the 400ex to make it better all around i heard 14tooth sproket doing well for most people ???????? i dont know but 1st gear doesnt seem to have no power kicked to it till you switch into second then it start to loose it power and gain it in 4th and 5th it vibrates so what should i do to it where it will stop vibrating cause it gets annoying ...

so far not missing reverse...

Poncho
03-08-2002, 07:13 PM
Have you got it broke in yet?

yellowrider
03-08-2002, 07:59 PM
no i just got it today.. i was planning and trying to figure out how much money i am going to have to save up for it....

once i get it broke in will it go any faster than it does now will it run better or something... the oil system is a pain in a butt that is one thing i dont like about it and yes see this warrior was right behind me when i was in 5th gear not wide open but fast enough where it will vib..

anyways i rode it then i let it cool down, i did that alot.. and then every hill or something i grabed the clutch and shut it off and coast down the hill .. and stuff like that... i didnt hold it wide open at long periods at a time if any ..

i did not like that raptor at all .. but it was pretty cool when i was spinning the tires off in the parking lot and the front end coming up i loved that but once i started to play around on the big monster and taking turns and stuff i did not like it and there was alot of people at the dealer said that they didnt like them either that was buying the banshee that gave me list of reasons why not to get them and most of the stuff i never heard before even on this site that was weird ...

anyways will the 400ex after i ride it for a while will it do better ?

03-08-2002, 10:59 PM
Congrats on your purchase of the 400! I don't know quite how to respond, except that you need to break it in a little bit more.
I had a problem with severe vibration after I installed a puncture resistant product in my tires, got worse over time. Finally I cleaned the gunk out of the tires and never had a problem since.
Perhaps the dealer installed some type of product in your tires or maybe you just have an out of round tire?

03-09-2002, 08:27 AM
well, if u r gunna ugrade her, get a complete pipe, K@n filter wit outerwears, jettin kit, a 10:1 or 11:1 piston, an xr400 cam, and pop a hole in the airbox lid, and put a prefilter over that, the rest is up to u, wit that stuff, ul go good.

hotrodhonda400
03-09-2002, 09:11 AM
:eek: man sounds like your riding kinda hard on new machine, you need to keep it under 1/2 throttle for at LEAST a tank of gas to make sure the rings seat good.. Hey check your throttle adjustment to mine was way outa wack when it was new it was only running 3/4 throttle when wide open! :D congrats and good luck with your new ride ......

JustRace
03-09-2002, 09:44 AM
Before you do some mods, I would check with the dealership that you got it from so you won't void your warrenty. That would suck for something to brake and have them say you voided your warranty.

yellowrider
03-09-2002, 11:03 AM
do i have to run 92 octane?? i heard that you did and my dealer didnt tell me anything...

he also raced the motor to warm it up i thought you wasn't supposed to do that??

anyways i will run 1/2 throttle for now on that dealer told me nothing he was riding it throw the parking lot like he owned the darn thing he just said not to hold it wide open in 5th not anything else and something about.. changing it to a 14 tooth sproket..

what for i think it already has enough power...?

i am going to start well on this 4 wheeler.....

i got the 4 year warranty
i am not letting anybody ride it
i havent hit the rev limiter thats a good thing for me...
i cleaned it last night !!! thats also a good thing for me..
no scratches no bent grab bar not hurt neck or head or anything like that which is also good for me... like 2 weeks ago i had a horrible wreck on my 300ex i hope to never have a wreck like that on my 400ex cause that would just plan suck anyways

I GOTTA GO BACK TO THE SHOP I WENT OUT THERE WHILE TYPING THIS AND THEY FORGOT TO PUT A BOLT ON MY DAMN MOTOR I HATE THAT PLACE cant they do anything right oh well no biggy i can ask them to adjest my throttle cable where it is supposed to be

03-09-2002, 01:18 PM
i finally got to race my friends raptor with my 416 kit and i killed him the first 30 feet but i had 22in tires on the 400 and i took off in second and it bogged and then some cops came down the road so we didn't race again but i think we'll be even.

yellowrider
03-09-2002, 05:36 PM
hey how am i supposed to check the oil in that thing.. ???
my dealer told me but he was telling me three different things at once and he was in a hurry so he sorta just screwed me over anywyas i would thankful if someone told me how to ...

my first investment is a 14tooth sproket that for sure yes i like the top end speed but gosh it just seems like it is geared to hi for me ...

i love the way it sounds!! stock there is no way i am getting another pipe .... they are to loud annoying and [pissed off alot of my neighbors since i got this one they started talking to me again :) anyhow going to clean it went to the sand pit and gosh !! it was muddy !! i got out of there as fast as i could but it was to late it was all over me,, lol 2nd day i had it.. oh well thats why they made water hoses....

oh and yes i know not to spray the motor.. i well just clean the frame tonight spray my chain and clean the a-arms and swing arm and stuff like that tomorrow i clean the motor cause i know it will be cooled..

hey how do you check oil ...?

03-09-2002, 07:31 PM
youve been out on it twice and havent checked the oil?? from reading your posts is sounds like you beat the **** out of that new machine and dont know anything about it. do yourself a favor and buy a service manual. it shows you how everything works and can save you a lot of money. ohh and by the way, the oil dipstick is on the top of the oil tank in the front of the machine.

JOEX
03-09-2002, 07:51 PM
!!!!READ THE OWNERS MANUAL!!!!

yellowrider
03-09-2002, 11:36 PM
acturally i did read it before i came back on here and no i dont abuse it and yes i checked the oil but i didnt know i was doing it the right way.. this is what i did i let idle for about 5 mins then i got off let it sit for about 3 then i checked the oil and was full so i rode it but i didn't know for sure if i did it right or not.

sorry that i asked goodness i just wanted a fast easy answer no need to be so mean gosh people cool down