PDA

View Full Version : CRF Titanium valves?

250rtone
03-20-2004, 08:06 AM
I was hanging out at the dealer yesterday reading the honda crf booklet and noticed that the bike engine has titanium intake valves! Is this new for '04 or has the bike always had them, and anyone know if the quad engine has them?

2004TRX450R
03-20-2004, 08:33 AM
The bike engine has had them since the begining. the 450R does not though.

250rtone
03-20-2004, 09:30 AM
:mad: :mad: First the carb, now the valves. The quads get raped yet again!!:mad: :mad:

robman
03-20-2004, 10:38 AM
They do this for reliability,when dirt gets in the motor titanium won't last as long as steel.Personally I think thats a load of crap just like the carb!:grr:

Clutch123
03-20-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by robman
They do this for reliability,when dirt gets in the motor titanium won't last as long as steel.Personally I think thats a load of crap just like the carb!:grr:

:huh :huh :huh :huh

I bet, and when does dirt get in the motor... when you dont clean and oil the filter properly.

also what hapens when water gets in you motor which is more likey than dirt and then you valves rust?

Just my 02

kbass24emtp
03-20-2004, 02:50 PM
I don't see why people complain about not having the titanium valves, because if you go over to thumpertalk.com it seems like everyone is removing the titamuim valves and replacing them with stainless STEEL valved. YES STEEL VALVES. So I don't think I got raped by not having titanium valves.

jmpulse
03-20-2004, 05:18 PM
With the titanium valves, expect rebuilding the heads at least once a year. I can't quite remember if it is due to the seats, or the valves themselves. The big fix is to swap them out for stainless valves. This fix is claimed to allow people to run many seasons on the valves with out rebuilding.

Before you whine and cry about how crappy the TRX450R is, do a little research!

250rtone
03-20-2004, 08:50 PM
If i thought the R was "crappy" i would have bought the yamaha instead of the R that i have. And i'm not whining and crying motor mouth, listen to yourself " i can't quite remember" and "claimed" sounds like you should "do a little research" yourself instead of "claiming" to know more than other people. Thats all i got to say.:rolleyes:

oldsandman
03-20-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by 250rtone
:mad: :mad: First the carb, now the valves. The quads get raped yet again!!:mad: :mad:

sounds like whining to me:rolleyes:

I had ti valves in my dale and they were a royal pita!

jmpulse
03-20-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by 250rtone
If i thought the R was "crappy" i would have bought the yamaha instead of the R that i have. And i'm not whining and crying motor mouth, listen to yourself " i can't quite remember" and "claimed" sounds like you should "do a little research" yourself instead of "claiming" to know more than other people. Thats all i got to say.:rolleyes:

Hmm, " :mad: :mad: First the carb, now the valves. The quads get raped yet again!!:mad: :mad: " Hmm... I'm sorry, after looking at it again, I'll lable it as whining. I don't see anywhere I state that I know anything more than anyone else, just repeating issues that I have looked into when the rumors of the TRX450R was first released. I also have no first hand experance about the SS valve life, just a number of people claiming that they last a long time.

So unlike some, I have actually done quite a bit of reasearch on the subject. Sorry that I can't quote the problem off the top of my head, I admit that I am not perfect! :rolleyes:

s2k1
03-21-2004, 09:44 AM
The valves in the TRX are steel, not stainless steel. The Titanium intake valves in the CRF will fit in the TRX, just as the steel intake valves from the TRX will fit in the CRF. It is true, some people are not good at cleaning air filters, or don't do it often enough. If any of this grit goes into the engine the hard face will wear off of Titanium valves real quick. Most ATV customers expect their bikes to last nearly forever, for those people, the steel valves make sense. If you need the micro performance improvement of titanium valves and don't mind doing a little more maintenance, just step up to the plate and buy some.

jmpulse
03-21-2004, 10:50 AM
Here is some info, I did a 30 second search....

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/994209/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1