PDA

View Full Version : long travel elka rear link

440's necessary
03-19-2004, 09:57 PM
I read the review, but I am still puzzled. The springs I took off the shock are about 2-3 inches taller without installation. Is this normal? I installed the link and springs. I loosened it up quite a bit, but this thing is still like a pogo stick. I lowered my compression and rebound to the lowest setting. Less dramatic rebound, but still bouncy. It creaks when I jump on it. I am afraid it will send me over the bars. Does everyone else have this pogo action? My setup is with 0 preload fronts and dual rate rear ( any rear elka shock works with this kit, right?) with the lt springs. I suppose I should ride it before I ask, but I live in Wisconsin, and I'll have to wait about a month for it to thaw out around here. :confused:

smiley

440's necessary
03-20-2004, 08:22 AM
I found out the stock springs from the shock were aftermarket set-up. I had a stock shock before putting the long travel on. Does an elka shock really make that much difference?

smiley

Gravity Park opens in 3 weeks if it dries out. First day of spring and the sun is out, lookin' good.

tholt
03-20-2004, 05:29 PM
yeah, with there long travel link you usually have to run there rear shock also, b/c it is longer to work with the linkage. if you use the stock shock with the link it isn't long enough or have enough travel and they just can't take it.

Tim
JMRPowersports

440's necessary
03-20-2004, 07:36 PM
I am now using a rear elka shock with the aftermarket linkage. Maybe it's still too tight.

smiley

tholt
03-20-2004, 10:12 PM
how tight in what way? does that shock still feel like a pogo stick like you said in your earlier post the other shock did or does it feel better?

Tim
JMRPowersports

440's necessary
03-22-2004, 04:58 PM
I went from stock shock, no lt- to elka rear with lt.

I just wish it would dry out so I could ride the $&^%er.

ya know!

03-22-2004, 05:20 PM
It shouldn't feel like a pogo stick at all. How tight do you have the preload??

Post some pics if you can.. The springs that came on the shock should be just about the same size as the ones you put on that came with the LT kit.:cool:

03-22-2004, 05:25 PM
Do you have the crossover ring positioned like the one in the pic, with the larger part of the ring pointing down???

You can also see the size of both springs.

kicker696
03-24-2004, 11:57 AM
hey smiley, this is brockdorf. I thought gravity opened in 2 weeks? anyways, did you get eh elka rear shock that was for the rear link or did you just get an elka rear shock? I've heard from numerous people that the rear shcok needs to have different valving for the link. just a thought atlease, at any note let me know how that thing works i was thinking about getting it for my 400 but not sure if i wanna throw that kinda money around for a link, unless it works real well! Come check us out at gravity in the bus, we got a short bus that we painted black and is now our race hauler. See ya at gravity

03-24-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by kicker696
not sure if i wanna throw that kinda money around for a link, unless it works real well!

You get more than just the link with the elka LT kit.

I'm confused on why people think it's just linkage when the review I did clearly states it's springs, crossover ring and linkage...:confused: :confused:

and yes it's REALLY THAT GOOD.