PDA

View Full Version : stock shocks ?

onebad450r
03-19-2004, 08:44 PM
I was wandering if anybody could revalve/respring the stock front shocks. They seem pretty decent compared to cheaper aftermarket units. The only gripe I have is that they seem like they are valved and sprung for a 300lb rider. I am knowledgeable on the different setting on shocks and have tried everything possible(170lb intermediate XC and MotoX racer) and these shocks are beating me up. Has anybody done anything to there stock shocks (valving/respringing) or is everybody just going aftermarket? Kinda of hate to fork out $1500-2000 for aftermarket if these can be reworked for half the amount. Does anybody know of any conversions available for the front and the back shocks? If so, can you give a phone # or web site? It sure would be easier on the wallet....trying to save some cash right now....my motor goes to Sparks next week..... Any help would be appreciated

4FIDDYRHRC
03-19-2004, 11:07 PM
:macho Dude don't get in a big rush.. the stock shocks need to be broke in. they may take awhile to do but it depends on your riding style. The more you work em the sooner they will plush out. they wil be a little stiff when new but will loosen up and feel alot better. :D But if you are still not happy try these guys out . the are pretty reasonable. www.pro-action.com

palot
03-21-2004, 06:53 PM
using stockers TTing afco elka honda parts are working pretty good .

Cody_300ex
03-21-2004, 06:59 PM
Yeah wait for those to break in but if there still need revalve after there broke in send them to De Risi racing www.derisiracing.com

WOracing19
03-30-2004, 07:17 AM
Yes, u should just wait to break them in before you go trying to buy new shocks. Same for my ex, i had to break in the suspension and it felt alot better. My Rs suspension is a little hard, but thats why i am jumping and stuff. Just keep riding and see what happens.

Colby@C&DRacing
03-30-2004, 01:17 PM
Right now I am trying to develop a triple rate with ssd setup for the stock front shocks. It is going to take some mods but I think it can be done pretty reasonably.

Honda
03-30-2004, 01:33 PM
They Beating me up too!

180 LB/ XC Use

jmoney45
03-30-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
Right now I am trying to develop a triple rate with ssd setup for the stock front shocks. It is going to take some mods but I think it can be done pretty reasonably.

What about the rear? Will you be matching that to be an SSD as well? That would be a great improvement for cheaper than buying an aftermarket setup. I also hear what some people are doing is backing the preload all the way off and adjusting the rebound and compression from there. It supposedly lowers the bike an inch or so. Have you tried anything like this?

dn1911
03-30-2004, 04:26 PM
i've got my fronts dialied in good for me but the rear kicks like a pissed of mule even on the lowest compression setting. i haven't been able to adjust rebound much though. maybe its stacking or loading up

holeshot19
03-30-2004, 04:56 PM
it dont have a lot of travel and when u take all the preload out it drops in on down i waiting to see what the afermarket people do on the swing arms it they can make a suz work in the rear theres got to be hope for my honda

Colby@C&DRacing
03-30-2004, 10:23 PM
I hope to use the same type of rear conversion with ssd that we use for the 400ex. The rear of the honda is lacking some travel and needs a new rear linkage. I am hoping to have all this in the works for the Tennesse race, time permiting. I have spoken to elka about conversions for the shocks and they have no plans on doing anything so I guess it is up to us:confused:

palot
04-04-2004, 06:09 PM
:p ever notice how thick the bump stops are on the rod of the shock?remove a inch of the bump stop.there you go a extra inch of travel.i have afco gobetweens, modified stock 250r front springs,custom axis takeup springs.got me down there for tt racing. a little adjusting on comp@ rebound screws,a little turn makes a big difference.a pretty cheap alternative to a high$$$$$ replacement fronts. got the rear down there too,with a few parts from elka,price was good to.hope this helps someone else.it works for me .:blah:

4fiddyR
04-04-2004, 08:17 PM
These guys will redo your stock rear shocks, They use Elka parts, and Marty is a WIZ at doing this. I'm saving up to have my rear shock done right now by him. He can do a dual rate springs, and that will give ya the SSD.

http://www.quadshopatv.com/

twisted threads
04-05-2004, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by dn1911
i've got my fronts dialied in good for me but the rear kicks like a pissed of mule even on the lowest compression setting.
When I rode my brothers 450r that was the Only complaint that me and him have on the bike. I weigh about 165lb and he weighs around 150lb and the rear of the bike likes to BUCK even on some of the smallest stuff. I did notice that if you the jump at a medium speed and made sure you hit it with your front wheels just right it wouldn't buck.... but on my EX with stock shocks the same jumps were not bothering me as bad?? Were going to soften the shocks up and see what happens.:cool: