PDA

View Full Version : bad mood:(

400exmom
03-19-2004, 08:44 PM
i dont know if yall remember i posted a while back bout how my son seth's teacher told me he needs ridaline~ well i never stuck him on it and i put him in sylvan learning center for evaluation and tutoring, he was hardly behind in thier test~ i still sent him for 6 weeks of tutoring and he was thier model student~ he's completing his homework but still struggles with some work nothing unusuall~ now the teacher wants to hold him back and im FURIOUS holding him back will do more harm than good im sure~ i think seth got behind in his work at school do to personal feeling the teacher had for him and her lack of responsability to her job and my son is going to pay the price:mad:

sorry im a rambling mad parent because i feel helpless agianst the school system~

:mad:

leave my spelling alone in this thread im not stable right now:D

jonc623
03-19-2004, 08:48 PM
sounds like the teacher is a b$%^& i would not hold him back if he did that good at sylvan they are supposed to be the best sounds like you are right about the teacher having a problem with him hope it works out jon

400exmom
03-19-2004, 08:48 PM
BTW seth is in 4th grade gets C's and D's teacher says he daydreams all day~ and he does need to be told to get to work frequently but meds. arent going to fix it holding him back wont fix it all it needs is a lil extra effort on the teacher and parents part thats all... easy.. im doing my part every nite...

LTandRaptorider
03-19-2004, 09:02 PM
:eek2: :devil:

Dayum, you women are fired up today! :p Yeah, they're too quick to put kids on meds for everything. I used to daydream in school a lot, look how I turned out... ok, bad example! :o Maybe he needs a new teacher... ;)

03-19-2004, 09:03 PM
ooo man i would stop day dreamin in geometry but its so boring in that class i kinda start day dreamin before i even realize it then eventually im alseep and i wake up later like wtf i fell asleep.. lol but you just need to get a better teacher cuz my geometry teacher wakes me up alot and i think that helps cuz my grades have came up now that i sit by his desk sooooo i hope this helps

but for now to make you feel better heres a hug

::hug:: :)

400exdad
03-19-2004, 09:05 PM
Folks are too quick to put kids on meds these days. Seth may be just plain bored. My younger one will prolly be like him.... He is quite the active little guy. Hang in there, parenting is the toughest job there is!

JDiablo
03-19-2004, 09:23 PM
you can't blame him for day dreaming off though if the teacher isn't doing her job...my friend used to take the ridilin stuff and it helps him concentrate better and not day dream and actually helped bring up his grades....if you want to try that for him....it up to you though...helped him

JOEX
03-19-2004, 09:28 PM
When did teachers become doctors? Recomending psych drugs
:huh

Does the principle or superintendant know about this?

Woodsrider
03-19-2004, 09:46 PM
See if you can get him into an I.A. class. Induvidual acheivment classes are geared to teach children at their own pace. Many kids get bored in class because the work is either unchallenging, or not presented in a manner that catches their attention.

More often than not, its not the student having a hard time learning, but the teacher not wanting to teach.

Good luck, we're having teacher issues in our house too:grr: I feel your pain;)

03-19-2004, 09:55 PM
:eek2: i cant pay attention in class either & make all c's & d's.....whatever you do dont get him on ridalin...it is extremely addictive & dangerous.....there are newer drugs out now that aren't so addictive but I dont know the names of them...lots of parents have a very hard time realizing that their kids aren't perfect & sometimes something may be wrong. drugs should be the last resort if it is a real concern...but I prob. have no idea what im talking about b/c I still go to school...I have experimented with alot of the drugs for daydreaming problems & stuff & they all helped me a whole lot. no more drawing in my books or staring out the window...it made me want to learn & opay attention & got to school & behave

Berry
03-19-2004, 10:04 PM
he is a kid for christ sake, whats she expect him too do, sit in the chair without speaking unless spoken too, yes maam and no maam? hell no. i remeber when i was a kid my teachers could not get me too shut up, i never had to get on any medication. personally, i think it is the teacher. the ONLY ONLY time i have EVER come close too failing is if i did NOT like my teacher. if i get along with my teachers i always do good. try to get your son into a different class. and 400exmom. i am not whatsoever trying too tell you how too be a parent. but i remeber how it was when i was behind in school and i would always get pissed when people tried too tell me that i have things wrong with me. like needing riddlen. if someone told me that i would feel stupid, and feel like i was useless, and get depressed and behind in schoolwork. so if i were you, i would maybe try talking too your son, ask him how he feels and how you can make it better. its probally just a faze. it wasnt long ago all this happend too me. i hope this helps you

WEEZIL
03-19-2004, 10:04 PM
Hey.. Listen A word of advice.
I used to have ADD I kinda learned to cope with it and controll it. I can almost bet you he will outgrow it like me. Now My mom refused to put me on medication. I kind of wish she would have because some of the idiotic things I should know now.. And i still dont. I am as bright as can be but stupid small things like spelling and some math is what kills me.

TDBRPH
03-19-2004, 10:14 PM
It is "Ritalin" sorry I am a pharmacist and couldnt help correcting the spelling. In regards to the issue of ADD. I believe there is a true place for medication but too often other options are not exhausted. I am in no way saying this is the case in this scenario because I dont think it is but in my practice I have seen alot of parents seek out a pharmaceutical intervention as an easy fix to a much more complicated and time consuming alternative. I know it sounds kooky but things will work out you have already done more than a lot of parents would by starting with Sylvan and participating in his education.

Triston

FYI one of the newer non-narcotic ADD medications is called Strattera.

wilkin250r
03-19-2004, 11:14 PM
This subject hits a little close to home for a couple reasons.

I would try a few options before resorting to medication. First, test him. Is he learning the material?

This was my problem in school, especially elementary school. I constantly got low grades, but my test scores were always within the top 2%. One teacher was going to hold me back because of my grades, but I was the smartest kid in class! This may be your son's problem. If he is smart and knows the material, (and can prove it on a SAT test) then he's obviously bored with his classwork, and so holding him back certainly will NOT help the problem.

Second, Berry made a very good suggestion. It could be a personality conflict with the teacher, and personality conficts can be difficult, if not impossible, for a 9-yr old to resolve. I'd switch teachers before resorting to medication.

Pvt. Maggot
03-19-2004, 11:16 PM
i would look into it more...some teaches..not all..are powercraved maniacs that think they can do anything they want...i'm in 9th grade..and my science teacher HATED me for the way i dress ect....she told her daughter even that i'm close friends with that she hates me and stuff..so i do all my work..turn everything in...she starts failing me...saying i'm not turning anything in...nobody would believe me that she hates me...so at the almost end of the class semester...she says you owe me all this...little does she know i have all the papers thats she GAVE BACK TO ME! and she said i owe them all...so i photocoppied them all..turned them in...she tried to say i didn't turn them in..and tried to fail me...boy did that backfire on her :devil: so..yeah check into that teacher..sorry for rambling on...hope your son does good. :)

Juggalo
03-19-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
This was my problem in school, especially elementary school. I constantly got low grades, but my test scores were always within the top 2%. One teacher was going to hold me back because of my grades, but I was the smartest kid in class! This may be your son's problem. If he is smart and knows the material, (and can prove it on a SAT test) then he's obviously bored with his classwork, and so holding him back certainly will NOT help the problem.

wilkin you sound a lot like me. i don't get very good grades in school yet i'm very smart (i see the other kids in class and i usually consider myself to be smarter than them..i mean not to be cocky or anything but so many kids don't know things they should and stuff) but my test scores are almost always high. on my SAT (or ACT? one of those tests that colleges look at to see how smart you are) i scored a 25 without studying one bit and totally guessing on most of the math questions. one of the smartest kids i know got a 26 for it and i know he had been studying for weeks and weeks beforehand. high 20's are really good grades for whatever that test is (ha i'm not really makin myself look too smart right now am i? not being able to remember the test it was). most people were scoring in the 15-20 range on it. 400ex mom don't let your kid be held back. hes obviousley smart enough to do the work if he was doing good at sylvan. definatley only use medication as a last resort.

wilkin250r
03-20-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Juggalo
wilkin you sound a lot like me. i don't get very good grades in school yet i'm very smart

Einstien did poorly in grade school because he was bored.

It sounds like you are talking about the ACT, it's scored from 1-36, with average about 20, so you well above average at 25.

By the way, I got 30 on my ACT ;)

quad_quazy
03-20-2004, 12:41 AM
Ritalin is not the answer. Get a doctors opinion not a teachers. Ritalin is a terrible drug with terrible side affects such as brain damage, suicidal tendecies (not the band), and major depression. Do your research on the net print it out and then ask the teacher if she would take it. There are other drugs that are milder and way better...adderall and concerta are a few of the best. When I was younger I had the same problem and even went to sylvan learning (they've been around a long time). We found out that it was because the classes I was in had to many students and the teachers were boring as hell. What young boy wants to sit in a class and be lectured to? My fix was to get into smaller classes were I could get a little more individual attention.

My G/F had a simmilar problem with her 10 year old son and they found out it wasn't ADD it was a sleep apnia problem that prevented him from getting a sound sleep and ended up giving the same symptoms as ADD. You should do your research on everything and then maybe seek help from a psycologist not a teacher. Don't listen to that teacher, she is an idiot and I would mention that to her administrator...maybe she could to be held back a year, haha. My G/F's son is an awsome and extremelly inteligent boy and by no means needs to be held back as I'm sure is the case with your son.

400exmom
03-20-2004, 03:33 AM
yall are soooooo sweet i see im not alone and peops can relate~ ive tried it all~ the school tested him he was to "smart" for extra help in his school that why i turned to sylvan~ ive tried everything i feel and seth is improving slowly with me just sitting with him in the evening with homework~ im completely convinced its his teachers lack of interest in her job~(my emial from teacher)~~ **Seth is doing much better at completing assignments & taking responsibility for his work. But grades are not improving at the same rate. Still not working carefully or completing all parts. So this report card will not show significant improvement.
We will need to talk regarding next year because I'm very concerned that Seth will not be able to handle the academic work level or the amount of responsibility that will be required of him.
His ADD will impact his learning more and more each year, which will certainly affect his self-confidence even more.
Wish the news were a little better, but Seth is at a definite disadvantage, not being able to focus or remain on task.
Have a good weekend.

=====

----------wilkin will you go fill in for thier dad at the conference
:D ~~ this was my reply i tried to be respectfull and calm:mad: **~ i think seth will struggle with school no doubt- his "ADD" isnt all his problem~ i think there might have been some "feelings" in the class(toward seth) that were to seths disavantage but requesting a new teacher is a very touchy subject to teacher so i left it alone -been there tried that with my oldest -a teacher can make a HUGE differance and affect a child more than they realize~ im not personally attacking you im just being honest with you~ im sorry you feel that way~ we are doing EVERYthing on or end to do our best i will never medicate my child i think its a good excuse to label a kid for some~ but thats just me~ seths struggling but ill make sure he gets extra help were needed~ ill let thier dad take care of the rest of the conferance's i will come also if you need to talk with me in person i have my own opinions like you ms. b with all do respect~ thank you for your time~ i hope your weekend is well also~ kim
~~~~ps yer a mean old fashion'd hag please retire~~~
:devil: nooo~ i didnt send her that part:D

03-20-2004, 05:21 AM
i have ADD and i use strattera and it works a lot better than ritalin. i know this cause ive used both. as for ritalin makin people tryin to commit suicide, i never even thought about it when i used ritalin. i did go to sylvan but it never helped me. i have an elon student tutoring me and im startin to bring my math back up.

TDBRPH
03-20-2004, 07:12 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by quad_quazy
[B]Ritalin is not the answer. Get a doctors opinion not a teachers. Ritalin is a terrible drug with terrible side affects such as brain damage, suicidal tendecies (not the band), and major depression. Do your research on the net print it out and then ask the teacher if she would take it. There are other drugs that are milder and way better...adderall and concerta are a few of the best.

Hold up there cheif Ritalin can be effective and safe when given properly and monitored appropriately. All drugs can have side effects even penicillin. Every person has different needs and no there is not one answer for everyone. By the way do you even know what Concerta is ? Concerta is an Extended-release formulation of methylphenidate the active drug in Ritalin. How bout Adderall? Adderall is a mixture of different Amphetamine salts sounds like a great drug ;).... I am not trying to be a jerk but misinformation can be a problem. My recommendation is to speak with the pediatrician. If the doctor feels appropriate they may recommend consulting a psychiatrist to get their feedback which is the right way to go in my opinion. In my town many pediatricians prescribe these meds without consulting a psychiatrist which leaves an important step out. Quad crazy is right about one thing do some research but be careful and try to weed out the facts.

Triston

hessianmx111
03-20-2004, 08:35 AM
sorry to hear about this i know last year i was failing for 3/4 of the year and i didnt really care because i hated all of my teachers they 2 of them were pregnant mean *****es that didnt like me, 1 was mad because i missed alot of school last year 15 days 13 excused, the other one was really weird i got a 96 in his class though and didnt half of the crap in:confused: and the other was a weird dude who later got turned in for mollesting his daughter:confused: i didnt care to do their work last year if they wanted to say stuff like maybe i forgot to come to school because i was stupid on the days i werent there then why the hell would i want to do anything in there classes. this year i have made all a's b's and one c because my teachers are likable and make the work seem interesting. kim i think your sons problem may very well be the teacher like you said, just hang in there and do your best to help your kid:)

xr50layke
03-20-2004, 09:21 AM
maybe seth is a genius and gets bored doing grade 4 work :D

i think all kids are like that, comon, how can they enjoy school when they have a quad to come home to :rolleyes: of course theyd rather be at home!

Juggalo
03-20-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
By the way, I got 30 on my ACT ;)

welll did you study at all? did you try on the math portion? lol those will just be my excuses for not scoring as high as you. :blah:

250rpilot
03-20-2004, 10:52 AM
i was just like the rest of these guys that didnt like their teachers. in classes i didnt like, i slept through, and got poor grades because of it. most of the time it was because i didnt like the teacher, or they didnt like me. in classes that i actually liked the teacher, or at least had RESPECT for the teacher, whether i liked him/her or not, i did very well. if the teacher is a bitter old hag that hates her job, there is 95% of the problem right there. there were a few teachers that i really didnt like, but i respected because they did their job well and cared about the students. then again, there were those teachers that i would now like to call up and ask them if they wanted to hang out on the weekend because i learned from them and got along really well with them, and i have a great deal of respect and admiration, and would like to learn more from them.

i was always in the top of my class, and yet i was put in a special ed reading course in 9th grade....why you ask? because i HATED the teacher, and she HATED me, so i would skip class or sleep when i did go, or i would get thrown out on purpose so i could go hang out with the principal and the hot secretarys :devil: this teacher was there when my parents were there (1974-1975) and because i was their son, she hated me. after about a month in the special class, the special teacher asked me why in the world i was even there, reading at an above college level. after that i was put back in class, but it was a different teacher. i did very well then.

sorry for the long post, but there are just too many teachers that dont know how to teach, and dont make it interesting for the students. our school system needs ALOT of work, it has seriously gone down hill!!!

i honestly think your kid needs a new teacher!

2001400ex
03-20-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by 400exmom
BTW seth is in 4th grade gets C's and D's teacher says he daydreams all day

When I was in 4th grade I got C's and D's. I never stayed back, he doesn't need to stay back unless he's FAILING, C's and D's are still passing. Tell the teacher to go **** in her hat. See if you can switch your son into another class with a different teacher?

400exmom
03-20-2004, 11:39 AM
called his dad this morning~he is going into introduce himself to his sons teacher~ i have always felt i am not taken serious by the school because im to nice and im a single mother my oldest boy is finally out of school and a honor roll student at the middle school~i fought with the olders ones 1st grade teacher because she was an evil wench and needed desperatly to retire (and did the next year:D ) she SHREDDED my older boys self confidence and i battled with the principle about switching classes i was givin every excuse in the book why they couldnt and eventually gave up~ im not screwin around!! with one more grading period left and trying EVERYTHING else i can for seth im sending his dad in there next week to get him in a differant class~

their are ALOT of excellent teachers out there but there are some that suk and need to be doing something else for a living

MOFO
03-20-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
When did teachers become doctors? Recomending psych drugs
:huh

Does the principle or superintendant know about this?

exactly!!!

Personally I'd love to slap that teacher around if they ever made a recommendation like that to me!!! Bad enough I feel these drugs are WAY over used for the wrong reasons, let alone have them "recommend" it to my son....argh!! :mad:

redrunner
03-20-2004, 07:45 PM
I had great grades all the wat throught 4th grade then hit the worst teacher of all and did lousy for awhile, it got better because I had several "good" teachers that gave a crap about helping kids. I have tried to instill this into my son and the way I raise him, to look for the quality of people. I look back and if it wasn't for those few th\eachers I would have turned out a heck of lot worse. when those teachers responded to me and my needs things were great. I wish Seth all the best and feel free to address these issues with the teachers, it does make a difference. I got alot of inside info as my Mom was an elementary teacher.

03-20-2004, 08:18 PM
I think in no way does your son need to be on any meds. I personally dont belive in them. One of my good friends that was normal and nothing was wrong with him got put on some type of RX. He is a totally different person. Instead of coming up to me and crackin jokes he jsut says hey and stands there. I believe that kids that are making bad grades in school jsut need to focus a little more. No offense but im sure hes not giving it 100%. I think that " My kid isnt being challenged enough" is a poor excuse. In my classes that i have that im not challenged in i do my work, then jack around. I get good grades and still have fun. Even though im only 15 i still think that some of my thoughts are worth being taken in consideration.

03-20-2004, 08:23 PM
and also something that helped me is they set goals for me. Ive always made good grades and they no i can do it but sometimes i get lazy especcialy when there is other things to do that i like (girls, quads, etc.) If i bring home a C on a report card then i will get grounded from the things i like to do ride quads, internet etc. But they know if im tryin my best and i still get a c they dont care cuz i tried. Also another thing is my parents hate it when i get 0's so maybe 4th grade is alittle early but maybe think about this stuff a little. Im not tryin to tell u how to do things just things that worked for me in my continious school days. (10th grade)

Fred55
03-20-2004, 08:48 PM
Sorry to hear that Kim, some teachers can be D*ckheads and just dont know how to handle a classroom. Ive got a few teachers I'd like to show whats up:macho :mad: :devil:

wilkin250r
03-20-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by 400exmom
wilkin will you go fill in for thier dad at the conference :D

Sure, I'll play the "Dad". Are conjugal benifits included? http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/pork%20from%20behind.gif

Kimmy, you need to be VERY careful about communication with your son on this subject. Although the teacher may be a problem, you cannot, I repeat CANNOT portray that attitude to Seth. Your first reaction is obviously to comfort him, and to tell him that it's not his fault, and that the teacher is to blame. Honestly, this is probably the worst thing you can tell him. If he feels he shares no blame, he will not be willing to put forth extra effort to improve. Your son NEEDS to maintain respect for his teacher, problem or not.

Yes, discuss the issues with the school concerning the teacher, but not with your son. The last thing you want is for Seth to spout off in class at the teacher "yeah, well my says you're a *****, and I'm not going to listen to you!" Like I said, problem or not, your son needs to maintain respect for the teacher as an authority.