PDA

View Full Version : Weak yfz 450

SHANE03EX
03-19-2004, 04:40 PM
Couldnt believe this happend. Went riding this past weekend, and my buddy now has a yfz. Hes was doing a pretty good wheelie and then went over onto his grab bar, he panicked a little and I think he tried putting his foot down or something. Anyway he fell off and the quad rolled onto its left side pretty gently. He wasnt really going to fast and its not like the quad flipped over or any thing it just kind of tipped onto its left side. Well it bent the steering knuckle I think. Its the peice where the top and bottom a-arms bolt on to. and also the part the spindle is in. Bent this peice no the top of the tire is pointed in on the quad, also tore the little ball joint boot on the top of the a-arm which cant be replaced without replaceing the top a-arm. Pretty crappy. I know his quad if faster but I have done a hell of a lot worse to my 400ex and the only thing I have had to replace was the handle bars.

Syrus
03-19-2004, 04:44 PM
Well going from veritical to horitontal sideways, prolly all the weight came down on the left tire when it rolled, causeing it to bend and break some stuff on the quad. Then again, i rolled my 250ex thousands of times, even going near full speed, and i never broke one thing on that quad, it was a tank !

SHANE03EX
03-19-2004, 04:49 PM
Yeah I was trying to do a hill probably 200ft tall got about 170ft up then my 400 rolled back down. Like I said, had to replace the bars.

03-19-2004, 05:21 PM
...iv'e seen a few & all have held up good unlike most yammi's (cough* raptor). maybe it was already bent a little or something so it was really weak

toby400ex
03-19-2004, 07:41 PM
Chit happens, sounds like a freak accident.

K_Fulk
03-19-2004, 07:52 PM
That stuff happens. I did something like that on my 400 and my balljoint snapped right in half on my upper a-arm. Something has to give when there is nothing to absorb it.

MotoMom17
03-19-2004, 10:05 PM
uh oh, wander what would happen if he wrecked and actually rolled it a few times? not good. i took my 450R to the track and then back tires clipped the landing of a double. it landed on one front wheel and rolled onto me and then flipped 3 times. the only thing that bent was the rear grab bar and the bars a little. those parts have to be light and crappy so it helps keep the quad at 350 pounds. i'd rather wish it was 370 with a few more reliable parts, but o well. the new Pro Taper T2 Gold bars will look nice ;)

user101
03-19-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by MotoMom17
uh oh, wander what would happen if he wrecked and actually rolled it a few times? not good. i took my 450R to the track and then back tires clipped the landing of a double. it landed on one front wheel and rolled onto me and then flipped 3 times. the only thing that bent was the rear grab bar and the bars a little. those parts have to be light and crappy so it helps keep the quad at 350 pounds. i'd rather wish it was 370 with a few more reliable parts, but o well. the new Pro Taper T2 Gold bars will look nice ;)

id much rather for sumthing cheap and easily replaceable such as my handlebars or grabar to bend or break rather than my frame or steering stem...wouldnt you??

Jekyl_22
03-20-2004, 10:02 AM
I think that wrecks are totally random on how they affect your quad like when YOU wreck. Sometimes some can do what looks like just a little wreck but they end up breaking bones and stuff. But sometimes a really hard looking wreck won't even hurt someone.

I've bent my steering stem on my 400ex when I rolled it in just 1st gear. But I've also rolled it in 3rd gear and nothing happened to it.

I've endoed and rolled my YFZ a few times. The only thing that has happened so far was my front brake lever rotated on the bars. With a little tug.... I was back in business.

Judging how tough a quad is by how well it holds up to wrecks is kind of an innaccurate and unreliable thing to do.

03-21-2004, 09:19 AM
I am not genius, but I believe the YFZ was made to ride on four wheels, not sliding across a field horizontally. Accident happen **** breaks. Sometimes just weird **** happens. Maybe a rock was in the field and he hit it when it fell over, or maybe the YFZ is a POS. So many variables on why it broke.

PS. I dont think the YFZ is a POS.

Shocka400ex
03-24-2004, 10:45 AM
It is pretty much the steering stems on the YFZ. They are very cheap, made out of mild steel and can't withstand a minor roll. I have witnessed these bend by turning the bike over doing a donut. That is why we buy aftermarket and don't put the same stock parts back on. But like said before, something has to bend or you will!

thump4863
03-24-2004, 12:51 PM
Same things can be said about the 400ex stems too. They are really weak stock. I rolled mine not going fast and I dont see how it bent it. But its no big deal cause on any quad there are things that are going to bend...just replace it with an aftermarket stem and I doubt he will bend it again unless he crashes hard.

Extremeracer167
03-25-2004, 12:21 PM
wow what a surprise, another EX rider trying to pick out all the little flaws about the 450.

FIrst off, i went through 4 stock stems on me old EX. Yeah they dont have cheap stems:rolleyes:

I actually had to replace my stock a-arms on my honda becuase 3 out of the 4 balljoints were junk, and that was only after 6 months of riding/racing. No major wrecks.

Its pointless to try and start a thread about something like this, atleast make it something of some importance like the batterys are weak:o

I love me YFZ 20Xs better then my EX

SHANE03EX
03-25-2004, 12:27 PM
No need to be an ***** just telling a riding story. I like the yfz450. Its faster than my 400 end the suspension is awsome so calm down.

Extremeracer167
03-25-2004, 12:38 PM
this just seems like a pointless topic area, cause everybody seems to try and dis the 450. I personally dont know how some ppl say that the YFZ doesnt impress them compared to an EX. There is another thread in here where a kid said he rode one, and the power didnt impress him compared to his EX.....now comon.....ive rode 465EXs and they still dont hold a candle to a yfz with just a pipe. Just annoys me i guess. Thats the good thing about public forums:D

SHANE03EX
03-25-2004, 03:31 PM
I sees that some people just cant read. Whats with that??????? I just said that I wasnt trying to dis the 450 and say my 400ex can smoke all 450s. I was just telling a little story. And the truth is that there have been alot of complaints about the 450 a-arms, or at least thats what c&d racing told me on the phone, but does that mean I can smoke a 450??????? Chances of that arent to good.

yellowrider
03-28-2004, 07:38 PM
i love my new yfz but it has some bugs to be worked out...

sometimes it will die when i have the clutch in.

sometimes it spuder at over half throttle sometimes it runs like a champ...

hour after i got it .. it leaked gas out the over flow..

but thats fix now..

i should be taking it to the local dealer tuesday. to get the carb fix... i think that is causing all my trouble do you think warranty will cover it.. also i will be getting the valves adjusted... other than that it runs good!:D

i think the thing was jetted for tenn... and where i live must be some kind of diferent elvation or something

WOracing19
03-30-2004, 08:09 AM
this is true. i hear the a-arms on a yfz are weak anyways. but i rolled my ex a hundred times and only changed the bars.

BigThumper33
03-30-2004, 12:47 PM
The stock yfz a arms are weak, thats common knowledge. Big deal, get over it, all stock a arms have problems!

All stock steering stems are weak as well, if the force of the crash is concentrated on the stem, it is going to bend no matter how fast or slow the wreck is!

Think of it this way, would you rather have your stem bend or your frame tweaked? There is a physics law that says energy is conserved, if its not doing work on your stem than you can bet your arse its moving onto your frame!

Also, no one cares that the yfz is faster than a 400ex. Its all rider big deal. No one cares that you rode a 465 and it can't hold a candle to a piped yfz. No one also cares that no yfz could beat a alky 460ex up Olds about a month ago either...but those are all just stories :eek: :devil: