PDA

View Full Version : Power?

03-08-2002, 02:32 PM
Are 400EX's really as slow as everyone says? My friend (wake440) 400 with the 440 kit is bad slow! He has a DMC pipe and the kit and it sucks. Maybe you guys can help him find some more or different mods to make his bike faster. Heck I don't know, maybe all 400ex's are slow!?

03-08-2002, 02:46 PM
Looks like somebody just woke up from their nappy poo,,,maybe nobody asked for your opinion,,,if your hear to start touble then don't plan on bein around long..:grr

Blysster
03-08-2002, 02:47 PM
Get him to change the sprockets... He should have more than enough power for them with the 440 kit. What cam does he have?

03-08-2002, 02:59 PM
Hey Rico (is it suavy?), why don't you go take a nap! Nobody come here to start trouble...just wanted to know about the 400EX's. I am trying to help a friend that has a really SLOW bike. Don't know much about them (kinda like you dont know how to talk to anyone without sounding like a jerk!) was just wondering if all 400ex's were this way or if he had a problem. My sons Blaster is faster!

03-08-2002, 03:02 PM
Blysster, he has a stock cam......

03-08-2002, 03:25 PM
My bad aushee,,didn't mean ta pee ya off,,,I'm a moderator out here and it seems like some kid joins once a week and post topics similiar to yours about how 400ex's suck and there slow blah,,blah,,blah,,,I just never seen a post with someone saying theirs or a buddies 400ex was slow and was actually serious about it,,just lookin out for the best interest of the site,,,sorry again..:D :cool:

But all things aside i don't think 400ex's are slow even stock,,,what has your buddy done to make it slow,,,list the mods,,and maybe we can help you out.

03-08-2002, 03:39 PM
No problem, he has a 440 kit, DMC exhaust, K & N Filter and jet kit, no airbox lid. It sounds good, has good spark plug reading, no hesitations in the throttle responce, no odd noises in the motor........just slow! My kid has a modified Blaster that out runs him in a drag race. Like I said this is not my bike, I have a modified Banshee. So any suggestions for my buddy (wake440) would be greatly appreciated. oh yeah he has 15/39 gearing

03-08-2002, 03:47 PM
Maybe goin to a 36 tooth rear and a harder hittin cam would wake it up...sounds like it should run pretty good..:confused: Has he ever adjusted the throttle on it since he bought it,,,honda ships out 400ex's with the throttle adjument at it's farthest point,,I gained a 15% - 20% power increase when I did this to mine...it had 1/2 inch of slop/play in the throttle when I got it..look into that.

MIKE400EX
03-09-2002, 06:52 AM
The 440 kit without a cam wouldn't make much difference. Definetly needs a cam, probably needs to be jetted correctly. Do you know how the carb is set up?

330EXman
03-09-2002, 01:54 PM
it sounds like he needs to get some parts in there that work together to compliment the others he has done.

try getting a bigger cam with a high compression piston like he has you need to get a cam and heavy duty valve springs to help that mod out.

maybe he should also get some porting done too
also try fooling around with the jetting.

and work on buying a card that will help too.

once you get mods on that bike that help each other out that thing will be on par but right now there is only a piston and pipe really. most mechanics will tell you that with a pisyon like that you shouls always get a bigger cam,and Valve springs(these will help your cam out and give you steeper acceleration and decelleration curves.

he might want to get a good clutch too with heavy duty springs

03-09-2002, 02:05 PM
Before he does anything check the throttle and clutch cables.

03-09-2002, 08:15 PM
I was going to say check his throttle cable it may only be opening 3/4 of the way. Mine was this way and I fixed it today.

wake440
03-12-2002, 06:26 PM
Don't pay any attention to aushee, he is just trying to start some crap. His son does not even have a blaster. My 440 runs great, he thinks he is bad because his banshee is faster in a drag race. I have tried to get him to run me on a track but needless to say he will not do it. I am going to put a cam in it though, I bought a xr400 cam but I think I am going to go ahead and buy a race cam. If anyone wants a xr cam it is in the classified section. Go back to Bluetraxx aushee.:blah