View Full Version : Question about work shocks.......

400exBro
03-08-2002, 01:47 PM
I am going to buy works front at steelers with remote resovoir, and then i saw the pro seris and it is fully adjustable, and that is what i am looking for...... do the at steelers come with adjustablilty........... also it says at kandk atv that the pro seris is a rear shock, is it a rear shock or not...
Do i need the adjustabilty for mx riding or just stick with the triple rate w/remote resovoir( is this the same as rezzy) with no adj. ..........
lata
Bro

03-08-2002, 03:03 PM
At steelers don't come with adjustments,,some people compress the springs and adjust the preload,,but when you get works they set them up for your specs so you really don't need to change anything. Now the pro series are different,,there's actually 2 different kinds,,,pro series with a 1/2 shaft which comes with preload and compression adj..or theres the 5/8 shaft with preload, comp, and rebound,,these pro series run about $900,,the other pro series run about $750 or so,,,,I think the regular AT steelers will work just fine for you,,but if you wanna go to the lower set of pro series,,spend the money on Elka's lower end set for around 750..I think there a better deal.

400exBro
03-08-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Rico
At steelers don't come with adjustments,,some people compress the springs and adjust the preload,,but when you get works they set them up for your specs so you really don't need to change anything. Now the pro series are different,,there's actually 2 different kinds,,,pro series with a 1/2 shaft which comes with preload and compression adj..or theres the 5/8 shaft with preload, comp, and rebound,,these pro series run about $900,,the other pro series run about $750 or so,,,,I think the regular AT steelers will work just fine for you,,but if you wanna go to the lower set of pro series,,spend the money on Elka's lower end set for around 750..I think there a better deal.

What are you running Rico just regular at steelers for the front with triple rate springs?? i am probably go with that setup and then later buy some +1 a arms like you did as well.
also what type of setup should i go for, ex. no preload( or is it rebound), i am going for the mx shock. does anybody run no preload/ rebound in their springs?? also are the WP shocks service able and what type of nipple do they run for the nitro refell?
thanks
Bro

03-08-2002, 06:46 PM
If ya got the money get the best,,,I've got plain ole AT steelers,,the basic's,,and they work fine,,actually they work great,,no adjustments at all...put em on and jump as high and far as ya want,,they hold up..at least they have for me..

400exBro
03-08-2002, 06:58 PM
I am going through every 400ex page to look for a shock tests on the pep and works right now it looks like i am going to get the works triple rate with rezzys for $520 will work for me, if they worked for you on that 75 foot double they will defintly hold up for me, where did you buy yours??? how much where they???
Also what does the adjustablity actually give you, how much of a difference does it make?? I am looking at the pep zps and they are to much for the riding i am planning to do, i would like to also save up and buy a arms axle swingarm and then when that is done then i will probably do the engine but that probably won't be done till 1-2 years or like my sig says if i win 5 races this summer in the top 3:) i hope i will have the shock by then.
Thanks for your help Rico
lata
Bro

03-08-2002, 07:50 PM
$520, you might want to check out http://www.cdracingonline.com . They have their triple rates with rezzies for $476.
Just thought you might want to save some cash..

400exBro
03-09-2002, 06:56 AM
thanks spanky, how reliable are they on shipping to Canada and service?
thanks
Bro

03-09-2002, 09:55 AM
C&D Racing has good customer services. I know that they have shipped packages outside of the USA. But you might email them or contact them at 308-368-7805 and ask for yourself. I have ordered many items from them and they have some of the best prices and customer service. Hope that this helps.

400exBro
03-10-2002, 06:23 AM
how long does it usualy take for works to get the shocks built and sent out??

Rico- who did you send your rear shock to and what changes did you make to it???(setup)
lata
Bro

03-11-2002, 10:23 AM
I sent my rear shock to Terry Marcum,,took about a week for him to do it..It cost $250,,but that includes rear spring,,which I don't think you'll need,,only if your over 165 lbs,,should you really need one,,,I had to adjust everything when I got it back...preload and rebound needed the biggest change,,it's setup pretty dang good now...I can case small doubles on purpose and it will not bottom out,,,jump off of 6 foot flat drops and she squats down but never bottoms..well worth the money..I believe the rear spring was like $90,,so your lookin at around $150..

I got my front works from magic racing,,but Terry marcum has them cheaper..

400exBro
03-11-2002, 10:29 AM
i will send my rear shock to elka so i don't have to send it over the boarder and pay a lot for shipping and costumes. I am setting my rear shock up to 220 lbs so i will get a new spring.

Also ? about the at steelers w/rezzy, is what are the purpose of the rezzys except for giving them 2 1/2 more travel, i will be doing a lot of jumping and riding hard on mx track will i need them because it is another 100$ or so???? Also how do they give more travel, you will need a bigger barrel and some other stuff as well?? Are they service able, what kind of nipple is there on the shock??
thanks
Bro

03-11-2002, 10:47 AM
Well get the rezzies for the shocks,,there main purpose is to keep the oil and gas's cool,,,,to prevent shock fade,,you'll need it if your gonna be racin...other than that,,the shocks are pretty standard,,no adjustments,,and yes there servicable,,but I'd only let a trained tech service them.,,The extra travel woudl come from the valving and spring tension.. YOu pretty much mount them up and ride,,send them off once a year for a service job if they need it that's it,,but the difference in ride over stock is night and day.

400exBro
03-11-2002, 11:41 AM
Ya, my dad is a heavy equipment machanic and services a lot of shocks on the big loaders and stuff and he could do it but he want s to know what type of vavle is on the shock so we can do it at home instead of paying a lot of money to get it done some where else.
there is no other purpose for the rezzys because it is a $200 difference. i will probably get them i was just wondering what they were there for.
Should i run without prelaod for mx??
and should i get spherical heim bearing and threaded preload on the front?? is it worth the money??
lata
Bro

03-11-2002, 12:33 PM
Get the bearing,,but don't worry about the preload,,not worth the money...and i don't know about the valve,,haven't never looked like it but it sounds like your dad can handle it..

MOOCAZEN
03-11-2002, 12:39 PM
I CAN GET YOU THE WORKS PRO PIGGY BACK WITH BOTH ADJ SET UP FOR 210 FOR STOCK OR +2 A-ARMS, USED ABT 6 MNTHS ,S ETUPFOR XC AND MX FOR ABT 550, LET ME KNOW

400exBro
03-11-2002, 01:24 PM
Rico- thanks a lot for your help, i am going to get the works triple rate w/rezzys set up for mx 220/240 with no preload sounds good? unless moocazen shocks are in good shape i will buy those.

Moocazen i pm you
lata
Bro