View Full Version : ITP T-9 proseries rims

PunkA$$
03-19-2004, 08:15 AM
I'm going to have to be purchasing some new rims shortly for my 400ex and I'm leaning toward these. So I have a few questions about them before I go ahead and order them, hopefuly you can help me?

1. Are they a good rim for trail riding (stand up to rocks, roots, logs etc.)?

2. Ive heard they dont work with the stock tapered lug nuts, so exactly how do they center on the hub? Do I need to order new lug nuts?

3. What offset do I need to order to be the same or a bit wider than stock?

Oh by the way dont try to break the bead on your stock tires with a press, youll have to buy new rims too.

LazeR
03-20-2004, 09:54 PM
I just odered some ITP t-9 pro series they should be here tues-thursday :macho i talked to rockymountain atv, and they said that 4+1 is the stock offset, and 3+2 is a lil wider, i just ordered the 4+1... as far as the lug nuts i will tell you when i get them :blah: it might be like my douglas wheels in the back, just flip the nut! hope that helps

JOEX
03-20-2004, 11:33 PM
4:1 is close but it's not actually stock offset.
Stock is closer to 3.75:1.75;) :D Stock rims are 5.5" and most standard sport aftermarket rims are 5"

The standard procedure for the lug nuts on most aftermarket rims is to flip the nuts so the flat side is against the rim. Some people use washers too. If the rim has a tapered hole like the stock rims then install the nuts like stock rims.

wilkin250r
03-20-2004, 11:51 PM
If you use the stock lugnuts and just turn them around to the flat side, I highly recommend washers. Or, even better, go buy a dedicated set of flange nuts, either from you local hardware store or order them from McMaster.

The stock nuts, even when you turn them around to the flat side, are not very big, and aluminum is not a very hard metal. When you torque the lug nuts, they can actually crush the aluminum a little and cause the mounting holes to constrict. After repeated abuse, the mounting holes can actually become smaller than the studs, which would present a problem when getting the rims on and off.

With washers, or better still are the flange nuts, the surface area is much greater, so the force is spread out and you don't crush and deform the aluminum surrounding the mounting holes.

Trust me. I've had to take a dremel to two sets of rims to widen the mounting holes before I learned this lesson. :rolleyes:

LazeR
03-21-2004, 01:55 PM
i use washers in front and behind my douglas wheels in the back, there just my dune tires though.... So far no problems! and hopefully wont run into that, i dont really take my tires on and off to much though, like when i get my front ones they prolly wont come off for awhile, because i dont have front dune tires so my fronts never get changed.!

komatsu kid
03-21-2004, 02:20 PM
there very good rims i have hit alot of stuff and there holding up great,for nuts i just went to my local cat dealer and bought locking nuts with whasers

PunkA$$
03-23-2004, 05:53 AM
thanks for the info guys, youve been very helpful as always!