PDA

View Full Version : New Sprockets

freebird
03-18-2004, 11:34 PM
HI All, going to go sprocket shopping today but needed some advice. I have a 03' 400ex with stock sprockets and tires...Due to my style of riding (Lots of Hills, Tight Trails, and switchbacks) I rarely open the machine up so I am looking for as mutch Low end power as possible...I don't mind giving up a little top end if I have too. Can anyone recomed a good setup...Do I have to change the front and rear sprockets or just the front (Only 10 hours on the bike so the sprockets are in real good shape)?? Any Ideas on tooth size?? Any other changes I need to make when I change over to the new Sprocket(s).

Thanks
Chris

03-19-2004, 05:32 AM
ok..get a 14 tooth sprocket for some good low end....also get a renthal spocket...you dont have to change out your rear unless you really want to. but IMO that is a waste of money

quad
03-19-2004, 05:45 AM
Yup,what Jumbo said.I'm putting a 14 tooth on today,because I also ride alot of tight trails and hills!!!Im hoping this works good!

hughdawg
03-19-2004, 09:12 AM
i've got a 02 400ex and i just put a 14t on the front tuesday. i went riding on wednesday and i could definitly tell the difference in the pull it made. i ride in the same conditions that you described. if your not racing you quad then don't even worry about the amount of top end you'll lose, wich is not much by the way, there is still plenty of it left to ride the way i do anyway. you can do what i did and do a search on sprockets here on this site and read all the different opinions and setups that people have and that should put you in the right direction. if money is no object buy a name brand, if your on a budget then buy a low priced one to try it out and if you don't like the performance you can put the stock back on. later

Toadz400
03-19-2004, 10:16 AM
I have a 14t sprocket on my 400ex and I absolutely love it. Sure the top end sucks, but I can stand it straight up while sitting down no problem. If you ride trails and just cruising around where you don't need top end, go with a 14t and you'll never go back.

03-19-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
I have a 14t sprocket on my 400ex and I absolutely love it. Sure the top end sucks, but I can stand it straight up while sitting down no problem. If you ride trails and just cruising around where you don't need top end, go with a 14t and you'll never go back. :eek2: ;)