PDA

View Full Version : HELP with ProDEsign kill switch

greghall
03-18-2004, 07:23 PM
Hooked up my Pro Design kill switch on the 450R put the short wire to ground & the long wire to the black/yellow wire coming from coil,well it wont kill the motor at anything higher than idle,I know that wire has to be the positive side of the coil.because the other post comes right out & grounds to the mounting post.Where did you guys splice into your wires at????

timscherer
03-18-2004, 07:26 PM
For anyone interested, I found out from Mark Baldwin how to properly wire a kill switch to the 450R. Follow instructions listed below:

1) Trace the wires form the stop switch (mounted on handle bars) to the white connector mounted to the left hand side of frame.

Note: The wires from the stop switch splits off (2) directions, (1) set to the head light assembly, and the other to the (white plastic connector).

2) Look for the black wire with the white tracer.

3) Splice, connect, or solder (1) wire from the kill switch to the black wire (w/ the white tracer) on the stop switch side of the connector.

4) Then ground the other wire from the kill switch to the frame.

That's all, your finished.

Hope this helps, any questions just send a reply to this post.

Tim

greghall
03-18-2004, 08:11 PM
Thanks Tim Ill try that.

schmitthead
03-18-2004, 08:51 PM
your the man tim.:D

2004TRX450R
03-18-2004, 11:54 PM
That's pretty much it. You can also get the black/white wire from the key switch. I had a spare connector like the one on the key switch so I just wired the red and black wires together and the kill switch wires to the black/white and green wires and plugged it in. Not spliceing/hacking/cutting of wires at all.:D

roughrider01
03-20-2004, 01:25 PM
timscherer, thanks for the info.. just wired mine up and worked like a charm. :D

400exBro
03-21-2004, 12:17 PM
could someone help me out here, i ended up taking my kill switch from my 400ex and using it for my 450r and was wondering, which is the long wire and which was the shorter???
when i installed the kill switch on my ex they were both cut the same length so i don't know which is which...

thanks for your help

timscherer
03-21-2004, 12:47 PM
400exbro,

Splice the black wire from your kill switch with the black wire (with white tracer) from stop switch, and ground the white wire to the frame. Refer to the reply I posted earlier on this page.

Tim

400exBro
03-21-2004, 04:16 PM
ya i know that, what i was trying to say is that i have no clue witch wire (from the kill switch) is the ground or live wire??? i used this kill switch shortly on my 400ex and decided to reuse it again on my R to see me some dough, since it was already on the machine the wires have been cut... it just so happens that they are both the same length and i can't remember what wire is the ground and what wire is a "live" wire...

so could someone tell me if the wire coming out of the ball round thing( were the clip is placed between inorder to start the machine after the cord has been pulled) is ground or "live" wire???
or does it matter???

does it make sense what i am trying to say:confused:

roughrider01
03-21-2004, 04:53 PM
So you got your kill switch in your hand, you just wanna know what wire goes to what. Well just pick one, it doesnt matter (well if it does i guessed right..lol).

2004TRX450R
03-22-2004, 09:56 PM
It doesn't matter wich wire from the kill switch you connect where. All it does is connect the two together when the teather is pulled and grounds the system wich kills the engine.

racerx81
03-23-2004, 09:05 AM
the kill switch will work either way you wire it. i found out the hard way though why they tell you to put the short wire to ground and the long one to the coil though. the short wire goes to the side of the switch that has the metal on it. the long wire goes to the side with the knob on it. if you hook it up backwards like i did once upon a time you will get the shocked like a mofo if you touch the metal part of the switch while the quad is running. OUCHHHH!

2004TRX450R
03-23-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by racerx81
the kill switch will work either way you wire it. i found out the hard way though why they tell you to put the short wire to ground and the long one to the coil though. the short wire goes to the side of the switch that has the metal on it. the long wire goes to the side with the knob on it. if you hook it up backwards like i did once upon a time you will get the shocked like a mofo if you touch the metal part of the switch while the quad is running. OUCHHHH!

What wires did you have it hooked to? On my switch there are no metal parts that you can touch. If you hook it to the Black/white wire you shouldn't get shoked. That might happen if you hook it to the Black/yellow wire like a lot of people seem to do.

kargaaro
03-23-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by 2004TRX450R
That's pretty much it. You can also get the black/white wire from the key switch. I had a spare connector like the one on the key switch so I just wired the red and black wires together and the kill switch wires to the black/white and green wires and plugged it in. Not spliceing/hacking/cutting of wires at all.:D

I would like to wire mine like that to eliminate the key. What connector are you talking about? I looked at the key switch and the wires would have to be cut.

2004TRX450R
03-24-2004, 02:24 AM
I had a spare connector that was the same as the one on the key switch so I just wired my kill switch into it and ran a jumper on the other two wires and plugged it in. You would have to find a connector wich I have been looking to find more but haven't had any luck yet.

Z-135
03-24-2004, 07:44 AM
Just find the black and white wire that comes from the key switch. Hook one wire to the black and white and ground the other one! It that easy!