PDA

View Full Version : brake question

sickyellow400ex
03-18-2004, 07:13 PM
my back brake dosnt work. i think a seal blew or somethin in the caliper. fluid is coming out from the parking brake blockoff. i wore the pads out to the metal and didnt know about it so do u think the heat would cause the seals to blow or something, and also how do i fix this?

Acid_Rain
03-18-2004, 07:57 PM
I would say take the caliper off and take it to a shop and have it rebuilt, I have seen alot of people that, on thier cars, run the brakes past the metal on the pads to the pistion then to nothing. Brakes systems generate a lot of heat in general so I don't think that is the cause.

If you wanted to do it yourself with a shop manual you would need a full rebuild kit.

sickyellow400ex
03-19-2004, 09:24 PM
where would i get a full rebuild kit?
i think i could do it myself

03-19-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by sickyellow400ex
where would i get a full rebuild kit?
i think i could do it myself it seemed like a hassle to me to find out all this stuff but I had a very different problem then you are having..I had mixed dot 5 with dot 4 which causes rubber to enflame...blah...blah....blah....anyways, I believe moose sells a rebuild kit for 400ex master cylinder

K_Fulk
03-20-2004, 09:20 AM
The sealsthat go around the shaft for the parking break looked like a pain to replace. I just used a piston for a front caliper to use instead. Or cut the shaft off of your piston if you want to reuse it. Most people take there parking break off any way. And there is no way it will get another leak with it welded shut.

You can get all the stuff you need to rebuild it at your dealer.

sickyellow400ex
03-21-2004, 07:57 PM
its not the master cylinder its the caliper

i have a blockoff on it and it leaks. should i try putting an o-ring in there or something?
i didnt realy understand what u sed, did u say u welded it?

K_Fulk
03-21-2004, 08:19 PM
Yeah there is a pin that comes off the back of the piston on the rear caliper. I just had the hole welded shut and used a piston for a front caliper that doesnt have a shaft on it. There are 2 small oring that go around the shaft in the back that are a pain to change.