PDA

View Full Version : PC Help Needed Very Badly!!!!

Cal440exRider
03-18-2004, 06:29 PM
Okay. Yesterday night when I was shutting down my PC something wierd happened and it shut of really wierd. It didnt say anything like "saving settings" like it usually does. It just shut off. So I was like OK and then my Battery Backup went off like it does when th power goes out. I thought that was wierd so I turned off the battery backup and unplugged the power cable from the back of my PC. When I went to plug in the power cable again a HUGE spark came out of the power source. That freaked me out and I jumped backwards while pulling the cable out. Some smoke came out of the power source and it smelled really bad.
Now My PC wont turn on because the power source is fried. I was wondering if anyone knew if I could put a lower wattage power source into my PC. There WAS a 400W and I have a 100W laying around. Im not sure if it will work but it could.
PLEASE I NEED HELP.
I have an essay due tomorrow and guess what?? It's on my hard drive. I really dont want to type it up again so I need help very bad and SOON!!!

batgeek
03-18-2004, 06:36 PM
depending on your hardware in there, that 100W aint gonna do cr@p.

if it came with a 400W, th elowest i would try is a 350W...but even that is an iffy depending on your processor and vid card mainly. hard drives are also a wicked power consumer.

hehe, i haven't seen a 100W power supply 10 years...at least!

Cal440exRider
03-18-2004, 06:41 PM
depending on your hardware in there, that 100W aint gonna do cr@p.

Yeah thats what I was thinkin too.
Right now I'm looking on ebay and there are some pretty good deals.
Do the outputs have to match exactly?? Or can the be a bit lower if its still a 400W??

LTandRaptorider
03-18-2004, 06:41 PM
First off, you DID save your work before shutting down, didn't you? :eek: How many peripherals do you have plugged in to the power/backup system? Sounds like maybe it's getting overloaded... You could just plug your PC in to the wall outlet to finish your work. Not much help, I guess... :o

Cal440exRider
03-18-2004, 06:46 PM
It's not the backup system it's the Power Supply (sorry I was calling it a power source) and yes I did save my work but i think I'm pretty much screwed.

LTandRaptorider
03-18-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Cal440exRider
It's not the backup system it's the Power Supply (sorry I was calling it a power source) and yes I did save my work but i think I'm pretty much screwed.

Oh, I misunderstood. Yeah, I'd say without a new power supply, you are SOL... :( The 100w would prob burn as soon as you plug it in.

Cal440exRider
03-18-2004, 06:57 PM
Yeah I'm going to buy one off of ebay as soon as I find one. I dont have the money to go out and buy one from Best Buy :(
I think I might But a 450W - 500W this time. ;)

Cal440exRider
03-18-2004, 09:29 PM
Well good news for me...
I will be purchasing this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3468461818&category=42021) tonight and it should come soon enough so I'm not on this sloooow computer. The people selling these power supplies rip you off on shipping, but it is the cheapest one out there on eBay.