PDA

View Full Version : Who's got a 422 or 425? Need some opinions.

Bergy
03-08-2002, 10:13 AM
Hey all, First off I'd like to thank in advance everyone that replies. I mostly trail and play ride but I do ice race in the winter time and need some more power. The class I run allows a .120 overbore. I have seen some people here run 422's or 425's. Just wanted to know what you think of them and how they perform. Right now all I have done is a WB R4 slip on and a K and N filter, rejetted and no airbox lid. If I run a 11:1 ( advertised compression ratio, would run thinner gaskets if need be to get the ratio close to 11:1 actual) 425 Piston, drop in cam, and a stock carb with choke removed for flow what kinda power would I be getting. I will go with a more top end cam and get stiffer springs and hardface the rockers if that's what it's gonna take to make more power. I still plan on riding this machine a lot and will leave the stock rev limiter in it ( I am set on my ways). Any suggestions or ideas? I need to run the stock carb in this class also. Thanks.

03-08-2002, 01:16 PM
I run the 416 piston and drop in cam,,and really liked the extry power it gave. But the only thing else I could think you would need is a port job, and leave the stock CDI in,,it's been mentioned that the port work really helps with a bigger bore kit and works well with a stock carb. I know blackguyona400 has the same setup your thinking about and pulls wheelies in 5th gear,,,:eek: He's mentioned that he is more than happy with his setup..I think you'll love it..I love mine.

Blackguywithouta400
03-08-2002, 02:13 PM
The 425 works great i have the JE piston 88mm 11:1 compression with an xr400 drop in cam, the power is very broad and had very good power if you want more top end power i would just go to an HRC copy cam from XR's only its about 50$ more then the xr400 and reqires you to send off your stock cam as a core. U wont be dissappointed at all with the 425, it is .120 over from stock. I skipped the 416 only because i dont care about being able to bore it again and cause im going to a stroker next winter.