PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP!! 400 won't start, tried EVERYTHING!!!!

andy9743
03-17-2004, 01:04 PM
hello i'm new to the forum and i've got a problem. i just bought an airbox from this guy for my 400ex. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43972&item=2467316728

i hooked everything up step by step as the directions said. so the problem is that now i'm done, and my quad doesn't start. it turned over at first for maybe 2 seconds and then stopped and i heard a couple clicking noises from the solenoid (i think that's where it was coming form) then nothing. no green neutral light nothing, so i throw the charger on it, turn the key and nothing at all. when i put the charger on it even if it's dead the green light comes on at least...so now here's the great part. i start checking all the connections, removing the terminals, reinstalling the terminals removing the ground, installing the ground, disconnecting and reconnecting the 3 wires coming off the solenoid and the green light comes back on, i hit the start and nothing the light is gone..so i repeat the process and nothing happens, all connections are tight i don't know what the hell the deal is. any ideas?? could the solenoid wires be backwards? would it turn over at all if i'd connected the wires backwards? help me i wanna ride!!!!

andy9743@aol.com
andy9743 aol im

thanks
adny

Fitzy
03-17-2004, 01:24 PM
that happened to me, sounds like your battery is just cooked. i bought a new one and the thing fired right up

200x 3 -wheeler
03-18-2004, 09:31 AM
BUY A NEW ONE?

TheFontMaster
03-18-2004, 02:49 PM
I had a similar prodlem. it was a loose wire. I know u said u checked all the wires, but check again. Batt.-ground, batt.-solenoid, and solenoid-starter. If its not that then it would have to be a dead batteriy. Don't buy a new solenoid untill you check the batteriy and wiring. The solenoids cost atleast 60 bucks.
I found that out the hard way.:mad:

ewalker302
03-19-2004, 01:37 AM
Have you tried to pull it off??

:bandit:

Knips178
03-19-2004, 01:53 PM
My brother's did that and we found out that the key switch was bad. But it could be any bad ground.
I looked at those air boxes too, how are they? besides the starting problem. Are they heavy duty or pretty flimsy? an update on it would be great.

chucked
03-19-2004, 07:03 PM
dude, take a screw driver, and touch the 2 big wires together that are on the solenoid, have u checked the fuse??

quadrider400
03-19-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by chucked
dude, take a screw driver, and touch the 2 big wires together that are on the solenoid, have u checked the fuse??

FWIW I agree check the fuses..... also touch a screwdriver across the battery see if you get a spark... that will give you an idea if the battery is dead.... does it have water? If not it may well be cooked.... if it is just low fill it w/ distilled water.....

Hard to believe an airbox had anything to do w/ this....

chucked
03-19-2004, 08:29 PM
do you have a multimeter?? (one of the best tools I own)

red03400
03-21-2004, 03:38 PM
buy a new battery...then check everything over again....if it still doesnt fire try swiching the wires around