PDA

View Full Version : How Much $$$$

EXDUNER127
03-17-2004, 11:07 AM
How much have you guys paid for your head to be port and polished, who did it and what kind of job was done. I am in the market and am just seeing what i am looking for in price. and did it include valve job?

03-17-2004, 12:16 PM
Do you want a full race port or a play port/cleanup??

Big difference in cost between the 2.

What is your budget?? $100 or $300

EXDUNER127
03-17-2004, 12:26 PM
what is the difference between power gains of the 2, will 150.00 job help any?

Texan32
03-17-2004, 01:13 PM
the $100 P&P is pretty much (like Rico said) a clean up. get rid of all the rough stuff. It will give you mild gains throughout the powerband.

the $300 P&P is for those that want to get serious about their motor. You (usually) have to choose either a XC or MX P&P. This is because the porting will be different so that maximum gains are either on the low/mid range or the mid/upper range.

If you want, you can gime ME $150 and i'll take some sandpaper to the dome and vavle openings. My point is that just about any Joe Blow with a rotory grinder and a few bits can do a P&P. You should seriously research who you are planning on having do this work! If they F' it up, there is no going back. There is a big difference in porting heads on a 66 Ford Big Block and porting a head on our quads. Choose a reputable QUAD servise shop to this kinda stuff.

EXDUNER127
03-17-2004, 01:29 PM
So you are saying that what they do is go in there and grind down all of the sharp and rough corners. or what? what do they do with the polishing part of it? is there noticable gians with just the p&p port. how can you do it with sand paper or do you mean a dremmel?

Texan32
03-18-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by EXDUNER127
So you are saying that what they do is go in there and grind down all of the sharp and rough corners. or what? what do they do with the polishing part of it? is there noticable gians with just the p&p port. how can you do it with sand paper or do you mean a dremmel?

Port....enlarge the intake/exhaust flow paths. This should be done by someone with with porting experience. If you opan a port up too big, you loose velocity.

Polish...using a series of "dremmel style" polishing bits, they smoothen and polish the ports. But, there is a trick to this. The intake port has to retain a little bit of roughness. If you polish up the intake too much, you will loose some atomization of the fuel. A little roughness keeps the a/f intake ever so slightly turbulant, which is needed.

So, i both parts of a P&P, you really need to know what you are doing.

Gains.....P&P is a mod that has "exponental" gains. By that i mean....all stock, you will feel minimal gains. The more you mod, the more the P&P assists in produccing HP. SO, P&P is more noticable once you have done other mods...and NOT just exhaust.

Hope this helps

EXDUNER127
03-18-2004, 09:36 AM
So do you guys think i should go ahead and do this for a little more umpf? i am getting my bored carb back soon and twas thinking of getting thesparks timing key also, until i can afford the 416 kit?

Texan32
03-18-2004, 11:48 AM
its your money tiger. You do what you want. Personally,i (like MANY here) learned the hard way. I bought a pipe and jets and filter first. Then i got some tires for the rear. Then i got some skids. THEN i got some shocks.

If i could do it all over again....SUSPENSION FIRST. If you have never riden a 400 that has a set of good aftermarket shocks, you SERIOUSLY have no idea what you are missing. WHen you get suspension, you can push the quad MUCH harder, which makes you faster!