PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Mr. Goodwrench

KJ#14
03-17-2004, 10:14 AM
I've got a 1998 Chevy S10 ZR2 with a brake light problem.

The left side brake light is not working, but the hazard lights work fine and the left turn signal also works fine. The real strange thing is that the left brake light will work when the right turn signal is turned on:confused: . I've checked the bulb just to make sure it wasn't a strange 3 filiment bulb or something.......it's not. I've also checked the relay and the fuses..........everything looks OK....................I hate electrical problems:mad: . Any good GM mechanics on here that could make my life a little easier would be appreciated.

thanks,

KJ

03-17-2004, 10:45 AM
mine did sumtin funky like that once and me and my dad jsut went down to oriley's and bought a new brake light assembly for like 20bux and it fixed that she it. On mine u can tell if ur brake light went out if u turn on ur blinker and it goes really fast. ;)

400exdad
03-17-2004, 11:00 AM
What about the tail lamps when the headlights are on? Whats going on there? I would probably check the ground wire for the tail light. You may want to isolate any "custom" wiring that was done if someone added trailer lights.

KJ#14
03-17-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by 400exdad
What about the tail lamps when the headlights are on? Whats going on there? I would probably check the ground wire for the tail light. You may want to isolate any "custom" wiring that was done if someone added trailer lights.

The tail lights are working fine. When I get home today I'll take the trailer wiring plug out of the circuit and see what happens. It is one of the easy "just plug it in" type of trailer wiring connections, but it could be the cause. I will also try to find the ground for the light. But it still seems odd that the hazard lights work fine................I would think they would use the same ground as the brake light............not sure.

Thanks for the input

KJ

400exdad
03-17-2004, 11:58 AM
No problem... I hope that's it! Loose grounds can cause some wierd things in lighting circuits.

Bean
03-17-2004, 01:50 PM
i have a problem like this on my Z-71, i have a relay kit for my headlights when i turn the brights on, the lows stay on to, well one day i went to turn my lows on, which come on by themselves, and they didnt come on, so i flipped my brights on, and the lows and the highs came on, i was like huh, so i unplugged the relay, and now only the brights come on, but the lows still dont, plugged it back in, now the brights and lows come on, but the lows dont come on when i turn them on by themselves, ate up aint it

powerslider
03-17-2004, 06:32 PM
Most likely you need the turn signal lever assembly in the steering column replaced, the internal connections have failed.

KJ#14
03-17-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by powerslider
Most likely you need the turn signal lever assembly in the steering column replaced, the internal connections have failed.

I think you are correct. I did some more trouble shooting on it after work today. I checked the grounds and ripped out my trailer wiring. I got out the test light and started testing all of the connections right on the plug on the frame. I've came to the conclusion that it must be something up front. I checked the relay and switched it with the one for the horn (same p/n relay) and still not working. The only other thing I can think of is the switch on the column. I did get a clue yesterday that it may be the signal switch. The tail light was working when I fired up the truck yesterday until I messed with checking it with the turning signals on. Then it went back to it's previous screwed up ways. I guess I'll be parts shopping tomorrow. I hope it's not a dealer item:eek:

Thanks for the help

KJ