PDA

View Full Version : harescamble racing

Cly
03-16-2004, 04:12 PM
Hi guys......

I am thinking about running in a harescamble race in march at haspin acres in Indiana.I have never raced before and am wondering what to exspect and and if I should even try and run in it.is there an amature class? Is there an age limit for any class?
A guy that I ride with sometimes(friend of a friend)is racing in it.
I think it would be fun but I don't want to just be in the way out there.I guess I am looking for adviceor a heads up......

Thanks in advance.......Cly:rolleyes:

yamadooski
03-16-2004, 04:25 PM
Just show up and race and I bet you get hooked.
After your first race you can then decide what to do to your quad to make it better.

As far as getting in the way. IF someone from a different class yells at you or you hear him coming move over a bit.

There is class for all ages and riding ability and quad size.
Get there early to sign up and look at the list to see where you fit in the best.
Then get ready. kamel back, chest protector, tear offs if its muddy,
clean filter on the quad, take an asperin 15 min before the race.

Look at what everyone else does and ask your friend of a friend for some pointers.
Try to get the holshot and dont look back.
Focus on the person ahead of you and thats your goal is catch up and pass him or her.

Good luck and report back here how you did.

Lil - Braff
03-16-2004, 09:17 PM
Cly- I know that me and a few others are planning on going up there for their xc races. This will be my second race so I am pretty nervous already. How old are you? What kind of quad or bike do you ride? I am 14, ride a 300ex, and plan on racing in the sport class. So it just depends on what you ride and what class you feel comfortable in.

As far as what to expect... If it rains... expect mud... lots of it. If it don't rain... you can probably expect it to be dry w/ lots of dust. Hope to see ya there!

bradley300
03-16-2004, 09:43 PM
just show up and have fun, its great. also, the sport clas that me and lil race in is also the utility/first year class, race with us if ya want, you should have a lap or two to figure out what your doing b4 you have to worry about getting lapped

Lil - Braff
03-16-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
you should have a lap or two to figure out what your doing b4 you have to worry about getting lapped [/B]

You're starting to sound like Brain :rolleyes: lol j/p!!

Cly
03-17-2004, 03:58 AM
Thanks for the replies.I am no spring chickin I am 34 years old just started riding quads last year.I have a 2001 400EX that I bought used.I was told that it has a 440 kit in it.It has a T4 pipe,K&N filter,oversized gas tank,I am not real sure about the 440 kit I have not ridin a stock 400EX.but I know that I can beat a friends Z400 that has a full pipe and jet kit.And that it pulls real hard when climbing hills and stuff.

Cly

Lil - Braff
03-17-2004, 04:43 PM
Then you should do fine! Just a bit of advice take off of work the next day b/c it is hard to get outa bed! lol If you can trail ride decently then you will do fine. Just take it easy and have fun! I would say I guess run B class? Not sure if since it's your first year racing if they will let you run in the sport/ute class. but good luck and see ya there!

beak7707
03-17-2004, 08:43 PM
cly, where are you from? A couple friends and I plan on racing our first xc race there that same weekend. Maybe we can hook up and try to learn together.

bradley300
03-17-2004, 09:21 PM
not trying to be smart lil! i mean if they start in thenlast row w/ us, it should be a lap or two b4 the pros catch up to us.

just race me and lils class guys, its the last row, sport/utility/first year class

Cly
03-18-2004, 05:09 AM
beak7707 I live in Mooresville.I have only been to haspin about 4 or 5 times.The race that I am talking about is on the 29th of this month.I still have to get a kill switch if I race in it.someone said you have to become a member?I am not sure what all that intells but I am guessing that they can do all that stuff there.The guy that asked if I wanted to run in it has ran several I think.He also ran the Ironman last year.He is just a guy that we ride with from time to time.How long are the races or the track?Do you have to stop and refuel?

Lil - Braff
03-18-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
not trying to be smart lil! i mean if they start in thenlast row w/ us, it should be a lap or two b4 the pros catch up to us.

just race me and lils class guys, its the last row, sport/utility/first year class

I know... I was just messin with ya! How are they gonna do that w/ knowing who the first years are and aren't? That might cause a problem.

Cly- I'm pretty sure the races are an hour and half and the tracks are 8-11 miles. You will probably have to stop and refuel depending on if you have an oversized tank or not. That is just one of those things that you will have to find out on your own. Even if you are in 4th place and you know for sure that you need gas or think you are low... it never hurts to stop! :blah:

brian-250
03-18-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Lil - Braff
You're starting to sound like Brain :rolleyes: lol j/p!!

:grr: :macho ill see you da 28th:macho j/p

seamonster
03-18-2004, 04:14 PM
dont worry about your age...i am 33 and decided to race at the end of last season....come out, get used to whats going on as it is a bit overwhelming at first. But enjoy it, having fun is what its all about.....if you need help with anything, just ask someone. Everyone is pretty helpful...look me up, I will be at that race....white YFZ #793.......see ya there

Lil - Braff
03-18-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by brian-250
:grr: :macho ill see you da 28th:macho j/p

You better beleive it! lol I'll be there ready to race! :blah:

No age really don't matter. JMO. If you go to local races and look around it realy is a variety of ages racing... young, old, and everything in between. Good luck to everyone and see ya there! I'll be on a white 300ex w/ #s 129, with my dad on his predator and probably a few others... just look for the kentucky riders banner and stop by and say hi! Hope to see lots of people there!

Cly
03-21-2004, 03:07 PM
Well I guess that a buddy of mine and I are going this wekend and are going to give it a shot.I got my kill switch and got it wired up and I still need to get a new battery but thats no big deal.What time are you guys that are going on the 28th planning on getting there?I don't know how long it will take to sign up and what time the riders meeting is or anything.

Cly........:rolleyes:

Lil - Braff
03-21-2004, 03:30 PM
The riders meeting is usually sometime before the race. lol Not sure what time tho. That's good to hear that you are going and looking forward to seeing everyone there!

coorsinmyc-bak
03-21-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Cly
Hi guys......

I am thinking about running in a harescamble race in march at haspin acres in Indiana.I have never raced before and am wondering what to exspect and and if I should even try and run in it.is there an amature class? Is there an age limit for any class?
A guy that I ride with sometimes(friend of a friend)is racing in it.
I think it would be fun but I don't want to just be in the way out there.I guess I am looking for adviceor a heads up......

Thanks in advance.......Cly:rolleyes:

look to the left,then to the right.squint your eyes and dont hit the big *****.

bradley300
03-21-2004, 09:37 PM
not sure what time i'll be there, may come saturday nite, not sure yet tho. if you see me, com by and say hi. i drive a blue s-10 xtreme and will havce a black and red blaster in the back, yellow numberplates, number 812

find me in the morning, i'll help ya get sighned up and everything if you need it

vetteblues10
03-23-2004, 09:06 AM
hey there. i was thinking about entering one of the hare scramble, however i am going to have to wait till summer when i am out of school. i just got my 400ex in november and was wondering what i need to do to get it ready or what to do to get myself ready. the quad has a pipe and nerf. i am guessing i need to get a kill switch. would you guys recomend a larger tank? i have never ridden at haspin but i have ridden a few times at the badlands. is the race mostly just trail riding? i trail ride every weekend i am home at a friends however i am not best jumper. :rolleyes: should i wait till next year when i get better or just go for it? thanks guys for any help you give me.

Lil - Braff
03-23-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by vetteblues10
hey there. i was thinking about entering one of the hare scramble, however i am going to have to wait till summer when i am out of school. i just got my 400ex in november and was wondering what i need to do to get it ready or what to do to get myself ready. the quad has a pipe and nerf. i am guessing i need to get a kill switch. would you guys recomend a larger tank? i have never ridden at haspin but i have ridden a few times at the badlands. is the race mostly just trail riding? i trail ride every weekend i am home at a friends however i am not best jumper. :rolleyes: should i wait till next year when i get better or just go for it? thanks guys for any help you give me.

Well I would suggest an oversized tank. THat way you don't have to worry as much about running out of gas. Yes it is mostly just trail riding. I would say just go for it. If you can trail ride decently then go for it and just remember to have fun! Hope to see ya there!

vetteblues10
03-23-2004, 11:40 AM
thanks lil. :D what kinda gear do you have to wear? they require boots and chest protectors?

Lil - Braff
03-23-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by vetteblues10
thanks lil. :D what kinda gear do you have to wear? they require boots and chest protectors?

Welcome! ;) I know for sure that they require a helmet and kill switch. Maybe over the ankle boots. A chest protector is just "highly recommended." I'd say if you have the $$ to get one.... then get it. They are nice to have. Hope to see ya there!