PDA

View Full Version : Sealing the electrical system

Nj400EX
03-07-2002, 04:41 PM
should i put some silicone in the back of all the electrical plugs where the wire goes into the harness ? just a thought to keep the wires from corroding

400exdad
03-08-2002, 11:12 AM
Get some silicone grease, take all the plugs apart, especially the small ones that have a bunch of wires going into them. Squirt or push some grease into the connections and push'em back together. The grease will blow out the back end of the connector. I think that should do it.

I did it to all mine when I got my 400 because another friend who uses purple stuff on his quad.... well the copper connectors inside the plastic housings were pretty much gone when I was troubleshooting his charging problem. He had to buy a whole new harness to make it right.

big-guy
03-08-2002, 12:05 PM
What you want to use is dielectric grease, or vaseline, as they won't affect conductivity, and will keep water out. I'm not aware of anything that will withstand purple stuff...(castrol superclean, right?)

Nj400EX
03-08-2002, 01:41 PM
I think i'll use the dielectric grease , i have an unlimited amount of it at work . Also do you think shrink wrapping the whole harness is a good idea ? I can do it tight enough to the point that NO moisture will get in . One more thing , besides that joke of a tool kit Honda gives you , what other tools should i bring with me ? My RM125 used to foul plugs left and right so i used to ride with an open end wrench zip tied to my chest protector and an extra plug duct taped to the back of my helmet LoL

400exdad
03-09-2002, 04:35 PM
The dielectric grease is really what I was talking about when I said silicone grease. I work at a utility company and we use it on our high voltage connections. I am pretty extreme (another word for anal):D when it comes to building and maintaining stuff... But I think the shrinkwrapping the whole harness is way over! :D

As far as extra tools...... you don't need any. 4-stroke Honda's never break down! Whatever you take, somebody else will borrow!:p

Deathbringer
03-12-2002, 11:23 PM
Shrink tubing works great.. all you do is put the grease all over everything you want to protect.....extra heavy on the connection part and then slide the tubing back over... grab your hairdryer and heat it up the compression of the tubing will cause the grease to shoot out the ends and make that baby just about impossible to get water into. Us two different sizes... one that is over sized to cover the connection and one that will shrink really tight over just the wires..once you are done shrinking the big one and the grease comes out, then slide the small ones up over the open end and shrink them down... you now have a super tight seal..I did it to a neon flag I made and it has worked awesome...no water.
If you don't quite understand look at the picture below it will show you what I mean..

03-13-2002, 07:29 AM
Will that tubing stop a 60 pound black lab??? Mine chewed up my electical system last night,,I've got 12 wires chewed in half..:(

Deathbringer
03-13-2002, 09:06 AM
No.... but my glock will...hehe

Sorry to hear that man :(

mysticfalcon
03-13-2002, 09:36 AM
wow same thing happend to me at work this week but it was my cnc lathe at work and asquirel had made a nest in the control pannel out of a few hundred wires over the weekend.

03-13-2002, 10:35 AM
Well I got most of the wires reconnected except the plug that goes on the regulater,,it's gonna be tricky gettin them wires reconnected....and I new wire assembly is like $90 so I'm gonna jerry rig it and hope for the best..

Mystic,,,how the heck did a squirrel get IN your work building??

mysticfalcon
03-13-2002, 01:10 PM
There is a squirel family that lives in the roof and theyve finaly found a way inside. Now theres about 35 traps around and a bb gun in the office. Goodbye squirrel:devil

CranMan
03-13-2002, 01:38 PM
Rico I know how to stop your Lab from chewing your wiring...try giving him some dogfood every now and then...

Deathbringer
03-13-2002, 01:52 PM
Oh man don't shoot the squirrel... it might be Secret Squirrel..:D

Blysster
03-13-2002, 02:40 PM
"don't shoot the squirrel" my ars!

They got in our shed last year and decided to make themselves a confortable nest with the foam that was in the lawn mower and the 250R seats!

I say get the 12 gauge! :grr

or even better..give them some 220Watt wire to chew on

Deathbringer
03-13-2002, 05:05 PM
ROFL:D

Lil90man!!
03-23-2002, 05:51 PM
Hey speaking of animals and quads has anyone ever seen the air intake of a honda 90? it is a little tube like built into the lid that is about 1/2 from the gas tank and is about 1/2 inch around well one day i noticed my quad(this was like 3 years ago:D ) wasn't running worth crap and i didn't know anything about them then i just rode em so i put it away and my step dad looked at it, he took of the airfilter lid A MOUSE had got inside there and had made a nest and was still in there, betcha that was a fun ride LOL
and then the lil freakin things got into the dump truck and we couldn't get it to start or turn over or nothing they chewed through ALL 8 spark plug wires chewed them right in half!!!!

Bspring
03-25-2002, 11:18 AM
Blysster, I didn’t think you Canadians could have guns!

Blysster
03-25-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Bspring
Blysster, I didn’t think you Canadians could have guns!

Yeah they make our igloos melt?! :rolleyes: :confused: