PDA

View Full Version : '04 ex skid plate

buckiguy
03-16-2004, 12:14 PM
Is the factory swing arm skid plate and engine plate considered to be adequate as far as protection is concerned? I dont do much riding in rocky areas and was wondering if they would be sufficient enough in themselves.

03-16-2004, 01:21 PM
if your asking this questions after youv'e seen it then I would say no....get a thicker aftermarket one & sell your one that came ith it on the for sale forum here ;)

sickmojave
03-16-2004, 01:31 PM
If you ride in anything other than sand get an aftermarket skid. Mine got ripped off on the first ride so now I have a PRM and like it alot.;)

Rip_Tear
03-16-2004, 02:09 PM
If its new it will last a while if you want to wait to buy one... If you barely ever hit rocks the swing arm skid should last awhile. Mine is pretty much toast now, I have bent it enough that it won't bolt back on.... lol

KY Woods Rider
03-17-2004, 08:06 AM
It depends on where you ride and how you ride. If you ride only in sand or open fields without rocks, then the stock skids are fine. Some people can even use the stock skids for riding in the woods, but these are usually the people who are going slow enough to miss all the big rocks and they always go around the really difficult sections.

If you're like most riders though, you'll probably need aftermarket skids if you ride where there are rocks, stumps, logs, etc. The stock swingarm skid will last a while if you're careful and stay off the rocky trails, but you'll eventually bend it and then bend it back into shape so many times that it gets really weak or it just won't fit from being warped so badly. In my opinion the engine skid (if you want to actually call it a skid) is pure junk if you get anywhere near rocks or logs, and an aftermarket full chassis skid should be installed as soon as possible if you plan to ride in such areas.