PDA

View Full Version : Starting in gear

JWhite
03-16-2004, 07:08 AM
My buddy that I sold my old YFZ to is having a problem.

I figured I check with you guys in here.

It used to always start in gear while just pulling in the clutch.

Now, it has to be in neutral to start it!

Has anybody else had this happen and if you fixed it, how?

beak7707
03-16-2004, 07:22 AM
My 300ex used to do that. I'm not sure on how to fix a yammy but all i did was trace the neutral wires. I went from the light to the motor and made sure everything was connected good. Then I tightened up the clicker thing on the clutch, you know the switch thats allows you to start it in a gear with the clutch in. I'm not sure what fixed it the, but it hasn't done it since then.

robman
03-18-2004, 01:50 AM
This happened to both my buds banshee and raptor.There's a switch connected to the clutch that runs to the ignition allowing you to start in gear.When water gets in there it stops working some times.Turf the switch and connect the wires,this was a while ago but i'm pretty sure thats what we did.

Thorsdad
03-18-2004, 10:19 AM
My son had the same thing happen on the starting line at Florida his kill mount turned his wires on the bars he moved the mount and the wires went straight and all was well.

5valves
03-18-2004, 07:54 PM
question about your question?
Will it not turn over in gear?
I cut my torr wires and wired them together when I installed my twist throttle.
If it wont turn over, I think there is a neuatral positioning switch on the left side in front of shifter.
I removed it on my 250f, But havent heard of that mod for the YFZ.
I think ziptye makes that blank off plate for the bikes.
If I remeber right is has a spring and bearing inside and is held on with 2 phillips screws. It would bet it might be a mec problem there, or trace the wires back and check the connections.
That switch isnt needed, its my understanding it reduces the amount of spark in neutral.
I just looked at the 450 and its a little diffrent that the 250f bike.
it just has a push on single wire connector.
Just a thought??

Good luck.

PS. If it does turn over and just doesnt start right up make sure you let it iddle down before turning off. If not it will hesitate to start because the AC pump has pumped alot of fuel and it will be flouded.

Just my 2 cents

400grl
03-19-2004, 11:31 AM
Have you done the cam mod? I have heard of alot of people not getting the wired hooked up right and it will only start in neutral.....as a matter of fact, in my boyfriend did this to me on purpose to "train" me to leave my quad in neutral!!! What a turd!! I do leave it in neutral now, though....although he needs to get it back to normal so in case I stall in the air or something I can start it again!!!

YfzinJay
03-19-2004, 04:08 PM
The quad has to be warmed up or it will not start in gear. Clutch will not release so the quad will drift. It will happen on most any quad.

WOracing19
03-30-2004, 08:17 AM
its true, it has to be warmed up. My 450r does the same thing.

trueblue450
03-30-2004, 11:41 AM
check by the battery.. there is a connection right next to the battery that is a male female.. mine disconnected and wouldnt start in gear.. hooked it up and it was ready to go

racer113
04-07-2004, 08:21 AM
if the wire is getting pinched or pushed on where it comes out of the clutch levor it will not start if you are in gear even if the clutch is pulled in, my teathor switch was touching it and caused that same problem and moving it fixed it.

seatec
04-07-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by 400grl
Have you done the cam mod? I have heard of alot of people not getting the wired hooked up right and it will only start in neutral.....as a matter of fact, in my boyfriend did this to me on purpose to "train" me to leave my quad in neutral!!! What a turd!! I do leave it in neutral now, though....although he needs to get it back to normal so in case I stall in the air or something I can start it again!!!

Dang 400grl. how much air are you getting to have time to re-start the YFZ mid air. :eek2:

angwell
04-11-2004, 06:41 PM
Your clutches might be bad. I would check them if you can't figure it out.;)

angwell
04-11-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Thorsdad
My son had the same thing happen on the starting line at Florida his kill mount turned his wires on the bars he moved the mount and the wires went straight and all was well.

Hey I don't think you know what your talkin about if your last name is smalley:D

400grl
04-12-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by racer113
if the wire is getting pinched or pushed on where it comes out of the clutch levor it will not start if you are in gear even if the clutch is pulled in, my teathor switch was touching it and caused that same problem and moving it fixed it.

Hey - it's happened to me before on my 440!!! :) On a big table - stalled out dead......I only had time to push the start button before I landed!! :) I don't usually get that much air - it was just a really long table! :) :D