PDA

View Full Version : Is it still legal???

44oEX
03-16-2004, 06:06 AM
OK here goes. My friend blew up his motor a little will back so he gave me some money and I took his motor and gave him me spare. I figured I would fix it up later on. Ones I got it running again I sold it to another friend. Then my friend that blew up the motor in the first place. His quad got stolen ( this summer ) but I don't think he told the cops about the motor swap ( just furgot).
Is the motor we took out still legal???

I mean the motor never got stolen but the cops don't know that.
Honda told my it's not possible to tell witch motor goes in what frame unless you copied the serial # and give it to the cops when it got stolen ( is that true ??) . he didn't do that since he didn't know it was going to get stolen and every thing.

So is the motor still legal he would really like to know.
I asked POPO but he never replied.

Please help. and no flames please

03-16-2004, 06:34 AM
it should be ok.. just make sure the frame serial number is right and i dont think the motor will mater... but i dont know Good luck:)

44oEX
03-16-2004, 06:58 AM
the frame number is good it's just that the motor got put in a diffrent frame and then the original quad got stolen. but not the motor.

wilkin250r
03-16-2004, 08:31 AM
When a vehicle is stolen, it is tracked by the serial number on the frame. If you have a title of ownership, the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) is the serial number of the frame. In essence, the frame is the vehicle.

Yes, the motor is still legal.

RiPPiNiTuP7
03-16-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
When a vehicle is stolen, it is tracked by the serial number on the frame. If you have a title of ownership, the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) is the serial number of the frame. In essence, the frame is the vehicle.

Yes, the motor is still legal.

^^^^ yep yep ;)

44oEX
03-16-2004, 12:16 PM
OK thanks. He is going to be happy to get that news.

So basicly if the frame is legal the motor is legal :confused:

Just curiest what would make a motor illegal??? If the motor is in a illegal frame those that make the motor illegal???

Don't get me wrong I don't want to do anything illegal I was just wandering.

wilkin250r
03-16-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by 44oEX
OK thanks. He is going to be happy to get that news.

So basicly if the frame is legal the motor is legal :confused:

Just curiest what would make a motor illegal??? If the motor is in a illegal frame those that make the motor illegal???

Don't get me wrong I don't want to do anything illegal I was just wandering.

Two things will make a motor illegal. First, you are correct. If the frame is illegal, the entire quad is illegal, including the engine.

Also, if you report just the engine stolen, and provide the serial number. Then, just the engine is illegal, but not the frame.

44oEX
03-16-2004, 12:36 PM
thanks man your very helpful.

I guess that is just what engineers do. (I study for mec. eng. right now )

wilkin250r
03-16-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by 44oEX
(I study for mec. eng. right now )

How far along are you?

Rip_Tear
03-16-2004, 02:31 PM
Seriously, I doubt anyone would go to the trouble to check the match to see if the serial # on the motor matched the frame. Honda probaly wouldn't even give it out unless you had a court date.

03-16-2004, 02:50 PM
alls they go by is the serial number on the frame..when i got my ticket alls theyl wanted was my serial number just in case it was stolen

44oEX
03-17-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
How far along are you?

second year. But I kind of scrued up the first year so I still have a couple first year cours.