PDA

View Full Version : stage 1 hot cam

adrenaline
03-15-2004, 11:38 PM
okay now with a stage 1 hot cam and a 11:1 piston how much of a pain is it going to be to start? in summer and in winter?

oh yeah and whats this crap about pistons not being what they say they are compression wise? is it that the piston isnt or that the piston with different gaskets is 11:1 and with other gaskets not 11:1 ? :rolleyes:

cals400ex
03-16-2004, 08:31 AM
our bikes start just fine in summer and winter if you don't have an aftermarket rev box on with the stage 1 or stage 2 cam.

most of the pistons are made to fit in the xr400 and 400ex. however, i think the pistons were made with the xr400 in mind. the deck heights are a little different on each. if you have an engine builder do your work, they can cut a piston to your needs to get the ratio you want in the 400ex. i am not sure of the differences in the ross, je, and wiseco. i have a feeling that all pistons that you order will have a lower compression ratio than what is stated on the box in a 400ex unless you have it made specially. yes, gaskets do matter too. i don't think the compression ratio is too far off if you run no base gasket and only one layer of the head gasket. however, doing this would make it easier to blow head gaskets. if the surfaces are clean, you shouldn't have a problem though. my friend does this with good success.