PDA

View Full Version : SCOTTS Dampners???

03-07-2002, 02:35 PM
Anyone use this on their quad? I ran into one made for the 400ex and looked pretty neat compared to the peps and others that mount to the lower stem and engine mount.

86atc250r
03-07-2002, 04:05 PM
I run a WER but considered a Scotts when I was making my decision. (a close buddy also runs a Scotts)

The things that I like about the Scotts:
Adjustability at the handlebars - very cool
Separate high and low speed circuits
Very good construction
Rebuildable

Things that kept me from buying one:
Potential damage in a rollover
Must run taller bars or modify the handlebar crossbrace
Potential injury in a crash (due to the crossbrace, or damper itself)
No good, solid way to mount the "post".

The last one gives the damper a "spongy" feel to me that I don't like, it gets worse the more the damping is turned up.

Maybe a good compromise would be the setup that Cannondale uses on the Blaze with the damper mounted directly to the frame and steering stem. The only downpoint to this setup is you loose the "on the fly" adjustability.

03-07-2002, 04:09 PM
Wow... Hey thanks, 86atc250r! That is definitely food for thought!

MOOCAZEN
03-07-2002, 04:19 PM
WHERE DOES THE W.E.R. GO MOUNTED AND DO THEY MAKE IT FOR ALL MODELS

Blackguywithouta400
03-07-2002, 04:23 PM
I run the Scott’s, im glad i do, it has offered everything i ever wanted then some, there really expensive though, there hard to brake on a quad the way they sit, The mount is very strong to the quad you can use any 7/8th size bar really I use the Renthal 400ex bend, you cant use the cross bar pad but I haven’t found this to hinder anything. As for the mount to the quad it mounts to the top of the triple clamp using one of they’re bar clamps and then the other bracket mounts to the gas tank bolts. It’s a pretty strong mount setup. I’ll post a picture of it on my quad when I get home from work. Also if anyone wants one I would check into the street bike forums and look for one used then buy the bracket. I bought mine for my F4 and just moved it over to the 400. Your looking at like 130$ for the mount for the 400 and about 250$ for the damper if u find the damper used, then about 60$ to have it rebuilt every 2 years

Blackguywithouta400
03-08-2002, 12:34 AM
heres the picture

86atc250r
03-08-2002, 08:50 AM
The WER mounts on the plate near the bumper where the VIN is. It has linkage that runs back to a mount that attaches to the steering stem. I imagine they make install kits for all popular models.

Scotts -

I prefer a taller steering stem coupled with shorter - dirtbike bend bars, which means leaves the damper much more exposed to damage in a rollover. It also requires that a bent crossbar is used. I'm also not sure how well a Scotts setup would work with a +1 stem or a +1/+1 forward stem.

I also do a lot of jumping and have busted my helmet off the crossbar and center areas of the bars many times - hence my thoughts of injury if I were to do this with a Scotts mounted, or a bent crossbar setup. Running without a crossbar pad is not an option.

I've bent several steering stems as well... Not sure how the post setup and damper would survive a stem bent to where it hits the tank when turning, especially since this is where the post sits which would drive the damper into it.

I don't like the post mount setup... Due to the construction of the 400EX's gastank area, the bracket mount area has to extend forward a good deal, then also mounts to the front tank bolts, where there are rubber bushings. This all adds up to a lot of flex for the post that the damper arm attaches to.

This gives the damper a very "spongy" feel that is really odd.

I'd seriously consider mounting a Scotts down low like they do on the C-Dale's though - The Scotts is a good damper, just not designed for use on a quad & compromises were made to attach it to the 400EX.

kid300ex
03-08-2002, 09:17 AM
Hey Gabe, How's your quad coming along? Werent you rebuilding it about a month ago or so?

86atc250r
03-08-2002, 09:25 AM
Coming along slowly - got my frame back from the powdercoater - still waiting on some parts. It will be back together soon....

Blackguywithouta400
03-08-2002, 09:37 AM
Your points are good for your usage, it may not be the best choice at all, for me ive used one for 2 years and have about 20000 happy dampened miles on mine, originally it was purchased for the street bike where it really works best. I’m also on my second steering stem myself but just replace mine with stock ones. I’ve not experienced the mushy feeling you have or maybe im used to it, the mounts for the bracket are pretty sturdy and mount very solid on mine. The rubber bushing on my 02 has a metal collar that helps keep the mount tight. All and all i think it has its places i think this damper really shines in the dunes and the desert where you can use the HI & Low speed settings. I hope this doesn’t come across like im arguing about this. I’m just stating my impressions of the product.

86atc250r
03-08-2002, 10:07 AM
Not at all... I was just pointing out the things that kept me from buying one once I had narrowed my selection down to the Scotts vs WER.

Personally I think the Scotts is a better damper, but the mounting problems are what got me.

A close buddy has a Scotts on his quad. He spent over $500 on the damper and all the mounting hardware to do it right for his setup (he runs Azonic doublewall bars).

I really like the way the damper feels if it weren't for the flex at the post (you can really see it if you turn the low speed damping up a bit and yank the bars around). I also like the adjustability of the damper vs the WER.

Just not a good setup for me. Not to say it wouldn't be for someone else.

Have you seen how they mount the Scotts on the Cannondale Blaze? I really like that setup except for the fact that you lose the "adjustability on the fly" since it's mounted down low on the steering stem - which wouldn't bother me too much since it appears to do away with all the other downpoints & once you have it set for a ride, you generally don't mess with it much anyhow...

rob-u/21
03-10-2002, 01:57 PM
I used a scotts dampner for the 2001 baja 1000 and I fell in love with it. I think it's the most expensive dampner in the market but I think its worth it. After the race I rode my spare bike which did not have a steering dampner and it was like night and day difference.

1999 honda trx440ex
duncan racing 440 national kit
edelbrok quicksilver carb
roll design lobo front end and swing arm
pro tapers
timmyboy steering stem
lonestar rear axle