PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting: 400EX question

katka400EX
03-15-2004, 04:09 PM
I have a 1999 400ex. When i accelerate hard it doesent seem to take off as fast as it used to it seems like the clutch is slipping or something. Or like its in between gears. it dosent feel like its fully engaged in or something. I have done work on engines before but never clutches. Could this be what it is. If so what would i need to replace??? Clutch basket?? Clutch plates??? Springs?? please help spring is coming soon and i want to get in running peak.

THANKS FOR YOU TIME

stupid driver
03-15-2004, 06:57 PM
before you go inside of the engine, be sure to check to make sure that the problem isnt something simple. Check to make sure that your clutch cable is fully disingauging when you let the clutch lever out. Im not very educated on clutch springs & such, ive never had to work w/ my clutch basket.

KY Woods Rider
03-15-2004, 08:21 PM
If the motor revs up but you don't accelerate like you should be, a set of plates and springs should solve your problems.

Like has been said already though, if you haven't done it yet, check the simple stuff first. Make sure you have the proper amount of freeplay at the clutch lever and that the cable isn't binding or sticking.

If the simple stuff checks out okay, then it's time to go inside the clutch. If you haven't worked on a clutch before, a service manual would help you greatly and is a great thing to have if you plan to work on your quad very much. A clutch is very simple to work on though, and just like anything you take apart, pay very close attention to how everything comes apart, and pay specially close attention to the arrangement of the plates.

Basically, remove the right (brake pedal side) side cover, which means draining the oil, taking off some other stuff that attaches to the side cover or gets in the way of removal, and turning the clutch lifter arm (the thing the cable attaches to) counterclockwise before trying to pull side case off. Remove the five clutch spring bolts in a crisscross pattern (to prevent warpage of the pressure plate) and remove the springs. Pull out the pressure plate and then pull out the old plates. Remember to clean off the old side cover gasket and have a new one ready to go on. Put everything back together in reverse order. The plates should alternate (fiber, steel, fiber, steel, etc) and you should always begin and end with a fiber plate. Also, the stock 400EX basket has a slot in the end of the basket fingers where the outside (last one you put in) fiber plate goes, so remember this and don't try to put that last plate in the same way as the other plates.

When you take it apart to put in the plates you can check for notches in the basket. A small amount of wear on the basket from the tabs of the fiber plates is normal, but very obvious grooves in the basket mean that it's time for a new one.

For me, the biggest pain in the butt about doing clutch work is getting the old side cover gasket scraped off while trying not to take out a chunk of metal.

katka400EX
03-16-2004, 09:23 AM
Whats the best clutch to get.

cals400ex
03-16-2004, 11:53 AM
for racing i like the sparks clutch

for cruising around i would get something similar to stock