PDA

View Full Version : Case saver

Shortee300
03-15-2004, 01:37 PM
Anyone know where I can get a case saver for a 1998 300ex? I'd like to keepTHIS (http://home.nc.rr.com/shortee300/casecrack.jpg) from happening again. :mad:

Thanks for any help you can give me!

nickracing
03-16-2004, 05:54 AM
stock one

beak7707
03-16-2004, 07:31 AM
Stock case saver is the only one I know about. How many tooth front sprocket are you running? You can only run on stock case saver with stock gearing or smaller. My friend had a 14 tooth sprocket and the case saver wouldn't fit.

Shortee300
03-16-2004, 07:44 AM
I changed the sprockets a few years ago and I have another new set now to put on while we're working on it. To be honest, I'm not sure if they are higher or lower tooth than the stock ones.

If the stock case saver won't fit - do I have any other options? When we split the cases to fix the crack, the cracked pieces actually fell out - it's a clean break. We're going to fix it - but since it's already been broken once, it can't take many bad hits from the chain before it cracks again.

But then again, now that the rear end is fixed - hopefully the chain won't come off anymore!

dirtmomma
03-16-2004, 08:04 AM
Unfortunetly dont' think you have any other options :( That is why I bought a different rear sprocket, cuz I was running a 14T front but was afraid of something like this happening (it didn't) so I put my stock 13T back on w/ the case saver. As far as where to get a stock one try www.planethonda.com they have anything you need pretty much & decent prices on most things!! good luck;)
BTW aren't you on ATVNation too??? If so HEY :D

Shortee300
03-16-2004, 08:21 AM
Yes - I'm on ATVN and ATVQuadSquad occasionally. Hey to you too! I remember seeing you a few times on one of the boards. Since my quad has been down we haven't been doing much riding -- so I haven't had much to talk about on ATV boards. Hopefully we'll get it back together in the next couple weeks and I'll be back on the trails!

We split the cases last night and I scraped all the old gasket off (and busted several knuckles in the process). The crack is fixed - now I've just got to get new gaskets, clean all the gasket crap and dirt out of the exposed engine, and put it back together. If it breaks again, I'll probably retire this one and get a new ride. I've got one payment left on the loan - might as well just start paying on a new one. :rolleyes:

!!!P.S. - I noticed in your sig that you mention "relocated key switch". Where did you move yours to? I just put new handlebars on and took off the plastic "Power-wheels" looking handlebar cover. I need to remount the key somewhere else since it used to be in that plastic cover. For now, it's just hanging there.

dirtmomma
03-16-2004, 08:29 AM
Cool:cool: go get yourself some gasket remover spray(auto parts store) it works WONDERS & is much easier on the knuckles, been there done that LOL.

Shortee300
03-16-2004, 08:34 AM
Did you see the P.S. I added to my last post about your key switch?

dirtmomma
03-16-2004, 02:16 PM
Sorry about that Heather, I drilled a hole in the right side of the tank plastic & just stuck it in there!! Here's a pic I think you can see where it's at :D
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid107/p98c6841fb955d3ecc221f4a302747402/f961a0c2.jpg

Shortee300
03-17-2004, 05:48 AM
We were planning to put my key switch in about the same place you've got yours. Have you had any problems with it there?

dirtmomma
03-17-2004, 08:10 AM
NOPE not at all :D :D