PDA

View Full Version : Gncc 2004 Pro Class Quads-Stock frames only

SGA
03-15-2004, 12:23 PM
MACHINE ELIGIBILITY AND CLASSIFICATION:
1. Pro (ATV) - OEM motor and matching frame combination model. Machine must have been manufactured within the last five years. Engine modifications, frame reinforcements and frame modifications to permit longer rear-wheel travel are permitted.
--------------------------------------------------------------
No Pro production anymore, no aftermarket frames. Pros must ride a quad 5 years old or newer. What do you guys think?
I think its a good idea myself, it opens up the field and makes it more level.

03-15-2004, 12:35 PM
I think the idea was great...:cool:

popo
03-15-2004, 12:47 PM
I think it stinks!!

Pappy
03-15-2004, 12:58 PM
less filling...tastes great

03-15-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by popo
I think it stinks!!

:eek: You movin to the pro class popo... :eek2:

SGA
03-15-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by popo
I think it stinks!!
Thats a broad statement, why do you feel this way?

popo
03-15-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Rico
:eek: You movin to the pro class popo... :eek2:

Aw not even a thought of going pro.

Here's my two cents on this factory quads only

In the past, the aftermarket frame companies are the ones who have carried this sport, by coming out with quality built frames, lighter etc etc etc, as well as sponsorship to help the sport grow. Some may have benefited from this, others out of their own pocket. But I can assure you, I feel more comfortable on an aftermarket frame than a stock Suzuki.

What has Suzuki, Honda or Yamaha done for the sport? Absolutely nothing but demanded racing promoters to state “factory quads only”. Yet until recently Honda as offered a contingency program, yes you may see some money come back in your pocket, if your good enough to finish within their requirements. But, you still ended up spending the $5,000.00 plus dollars to purchase their quad and fear the frame will not break or handle like an aftermarket frame.

My other issue is, I only see two real factory racers. Tim Farr & Jeff Stoess.

Others my think that Doug Gust and Yokley are factory racers, I would bet that it’s a calibration of aftermarket companies, such as Elka, Roll Design, IMS,Yoshimira that have joined together to put them out their, but yet Suzuki gets the claim to fame for their wins.

I guess my biggest gripe is. We all work hard for the love of this sport of quad racing. And yet to see Factory backed bike teams roll in with million dollar rigs and not share the same with the quads just bites my ***. My gripping about it will not change that fact.

I see to much credit given to the factory quad manufactures, when the real winners are the aftermarket companies or team owners such as Duncan, ATV Four Play, Four Stoke Tech, East Coast Atv, GT Thunder etc. Who take the out of the box quad and make it better.

03-15-2004, 03:32 PM
I think it is a great idea and disagree with everything popo said!!!!

Why? because popo said it!

Wingnut
03-15-2004, 03:36 PM
We can use aftermarket frames in the Stock class.:blah:

popo
03-15-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by GNCCer
I think it is a great idea and disagree with everything popo said!!!!

Why? because popo said it!

Schattt up CRASH! one free aw whoo phish coming yer way.

03-15-2004, 03:57 PM
Quiet your self and clean my trailer fool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are you aloud to run 2stoke atvs. it doesn't say 4 strokes. or did I just look over that?

popo
03-15-2004, 04:02 PM
Qiet your self and clean my trailer fool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice spelling BONEHEAD! qiet :confused:

yamadooski
03-15-2004, 05:32 PM
POPO is 100% correct!
Im with ya all the way man.
See ya all in NC....

Berry
03-15-2004, 05:40 PM
i dont think its that big of an issue for the fact theres maybe 30 main pros that run aftermarket frames, or am i wrong? i think its a great idea

SGA
03-15-2004, 05:54 PM
Good point Popo, I never thought of that.

Fred55
03-15-2004, 06:09 PM
Actually Suzuki did give Gust a contract, as did Honda with Farr, they dont have Yokley as a rider, but they do give him "support".

CBRSLIDER
03-15-2004, 08:34 PM
Popo nailed it! For years the aftermarket kept this sport afloat and now the factories are reaping their benefits. I understand that the aftermarkets made a good share of cash but the factories didn't put back into the sport what these aftermarket companies did. I didn't see Honda with a motor guru walking around the pits at any nationals last year answering questions like Laz was. Or Suzuki there to answer suspension questions, like Elka or even Santo taking his time to answer the questions. In Kawasaki's defense I did like seeing Doug Douchette and his crew helping out but how many years did it finally take for Kawi to finally step up to the plate. I think that there was a big mistake made when RP decided to alienate the aftermarket companies like they have.

Just my .02 cents. Guess the cops think alike on this one.

Ray

bradley300
03-15-2004, 08:41 PM
i hate to say it, but i agree w/ popo.

the pro class should stay how it was last year, pro which was open and pro production for stock frames. let the factory choose which class they want to run

SGA
03-15-2004, 09:03 PM
These are all good points and im sure, well I hope, Racer Produtions is reading this.

Chef
03-15-2004, 09:12 PM
I totally agree with popo. The factories have done nothing for the racing scene, with the exception of Kawasaki for a couple years, besides supply the stock quads to use as a base. They should have kept pro production and pro seperate, instead of this OEM motor and frame and built in the last 5 years BS.

bradley300
03-15-2004, 09:32 PM
looks like you can run a two stroke, so my question is, how is tech gonna be able to enforce the five year rule on say, a banshee, they havent changed in 10 years, they couldnt tell the difference unless they checked to frame code

rowlrag
03-15-2004, 09:33 PM
It'll all work out, any frame can break, 2 wheelers even break frames. And things bolt up right on stock frames. In the quads suspenders is where it's at, and I see all the same Aftermarket Companys still makin good stuff! I think it's a good rule because it levels the playin field, frames are stock so it leaves it up to the suspension builders. The big company's will start givin back soon, Honda has defininitly stepped it up, so i say Yam, Kaw, and Shizuki will be givin back next year. If you want the best quad thats as close to aftermarket, then get a Dale, put shocks on it and beat the helll outta it:D Jeff does:eek:

dhines
03-16-2004, 07:11 AM
Personally, I'm in favor of the rule change. While I can appreciate the fact that the aftermarket companies have done a lot to maintain the sport over the last decade, I also think they have done a lot to hurt it. In recent years, the money required to outfit a pro class (and many other classes as well) racer had gotten to a point where it was out of control. When you have guys having to spend in excess of $20K to be competitive, something had to give.

Frankly, the prices that many aftermarket companies have been able to charge for parts has been border-line criminal and I think it has kept a lot of guys out of racing. With the newer machines and rule changes, it has become easier for the average Joe to field a competitive machine - something that ultimately benefits the sport. And at the end of the day that's what it is all about - moving the sport forward.

The other component in the equation is obviously money, and the factories have much bigger dollars to throw at the racing series than all of the aftermarket companies combined. People may not like to hear it, but if we all want to see ATV racing go prime-time, its going to take the factories and their money to get us there.

bradley300
03-16-2004, 07:17 AM
i would be interested to see what it cost to build bryan cooks yfz vs. a pro quad of years past, i cant imagine the price being too much different.

i also agree with rowlrag tho, ATK is the way to go right now. i'd say if you wanted to build a pro caliber quad on a buget, ATK will be by far the cheapest

03-16-2004, 07:50 AM
Some of you act as if RP has done away with ALL aftermarket parts on quads.

IT"S ONLY THE FRAME PEOPLE... WOOOP TEEEEE DOOOOO

Hell they're pro's anyway, make em run what all us weekend warriors have to use. I think they should run under the same rules as the stock class since they are THAT good. :D

dhines
03-16-2004, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Some of you act as if RP has done away with ALL aftermarket parts on quads.

IT"S ONLY THE FRAME PEOPLE... WOOOP TEEEEE DOOOOO

Hell they're pro's anyway, make em run what all us weekend warriors have to use. I think they should run under the same rules as the stock class since they are THAT good. :D

Agreed! The more level the playing field, the better!

03-16-2004, 08:09 AM
It is really hard to say if it was a good decision or not. Time wil anwser part of the question. If The factories step it up like THEY HAVE STARTED DOING, it was a good choice. If the factories say in a couple years this isn't worth it an shiiiit can their any idea of having quad support it was a bad idea. The next question would have Yamaha came out with the YFZ or honda come out with the 450 R if these rules were not changed? more than likely yes but would have they been as good of bikes as they are?

Yes the aftermarket companies did keep the sport going but!!!!!!
They had us cornered! We had to buy aftermarket product to be competitive, so they could charge what ever they wanted they new we would pay it.

some one made the coment they wondered what a quad like Bryan Cooks cost compared to the older pro quads. the new pro quads cost about 60% of what the older ones cost! The big saving is in the up keep of them. you can keep a 2004 stock motored quad running at peak performance much easier and cost effective then you could a 14 year old 250R.

dhines
03-16-2004, 08:31 AM
... The big saving is in the up keep of them. you can keep a 2004 stock motored quad running at peak performance much easier and cost effective then you could a 14 year old 250R.

A very good point that I overlooked! Upkeep on a race quad can add up quickly. The newer quads are MUCH less expensive to maintain.

popo
03-16-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by dhines
A very good point that I overlooked! Upkeep on a race quad can add up quickly. The newer quads are MUCH less expensive to maintain.

Having to strip down a brand new factory frame and gusset it, is not much of a cost saving to start off after spending the $6,000.00 plus dollars out the door.

Basically almost every one of the GNCC pro's is riding a $20,000.00 factory quad, after you factor in motor work, suspension etc etc. Not much difference than what they had to give up to stay in the pro ranks, other than 2 stroke headaches.

JTRtrx250r
03-18-2004, 12:20 AM
Im w/ Popo and Chef 100% and Im just a dreamer:rolleyes: I cant stand the fact the 250R isn't allowed:mad:

no flames plz:)

Dunlap
03-18-2004, 06:02 AM
It would cost $12.650 to buy a 470cc YFZ like Bryan "Cookin"Cooks less powder coating, chroming and labor. Thanks to sponsors, Maxxis, Douglas Wheels, Houser, Elka, IMS, Ceet, AC racing, Rental, GPR, Maier, Durablue, Cometic, Wiseco, Advanced Sleeves, DP brakes,White Bros., Moose and a company called FST Bryan has very little money coming out of his pocket this year. The best thing about this year is how these sponsors have responded to Bryan. I have had the sponsors calling me to saying how happy they are about him and how he is doing. I have never had that happen with any other rider that I can rember. If the sponsors are happy everyone is happy:D

rowlrag
03-18-2004, 06:54 PM
"Cookin"?:bandit:

QuadRacer041
03-20-2004, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
less filling...tastes great

lets not get me started again, lol

jlhughes750
03-20-2004, 06:35 AM
oh no!!!!