PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on some 50cc for racing.

foleyit
03-15-2004, 10:35 AM
First I did do a search and read some of the threads regarding different minis.

My 5.5 yr old daughter currently rides an LT80 and rides its pretty good. Over president's weekend at Dumont some little boys are racing around on the 80s back and forth. They stop and ask me if they she can race with them, I said maybe next time. Everyday since then she tells me she wants to race. I finally took her up to the race track at LACR to watch some races and to let her know that racing doesn't mean (drag racing 50 yds back and forth). We arrived a little late at LACR, but I discovered that her LT80 puts her in an older class of riders and a different track than the PeeWee class. She needs to have a 50cc to ride on the PeeWee track. She wanted to get out on the PeeWee track so baaad! I had to explain to her that her quad was too big. She looked at me like what do you mean too big?

I meet some parents of the PeeWee riders and they we're very nice and eager to help us out. If it weren't so late they would have let her take their quad on the track to check it out.

The only minis that I know of that I would consider for racing are LEM Cayman, eton viper 50, and the polaris 50. I plan on immediately purchasing, other than what is required for safety reasons: pipe and jet, rims & tires, and wider a-arms.

Are there any other's that I should consider? And what are some of the things I chould be concerned about?

The only web site that I am aware of is Hetrick Racing.

Thanks in advance!

camsdad
03-15-2004, 11:57 AM
if you are allowed to modify the bike such as a pipe ,clutch mods etc. go with a kasea or lrx 50 ..they have a foot operated rear brake like your lt80...if it has to be stock go with a lem or drr50..

foleyit
03-15-2004, 12:15 PM
I guess they let you modify the quads. The LEM I saw definitely had a pipe that I could see -- looked like and FMF Fatty

ROBBSRACING
03-15-2004, 09:04 PM
My suggestion would be to go with the LEM Cayman! Weve been racing them for years and have won several championships with them. They are almost 100lbs lighter than most of the other 50s out there which makes it much easier for a begining racer to handle. They can also be modified to be very very fast as there ability improves.

dirtmomma
03-15-2004, 09:18 PM
Yeah I'd go w/ the LEM Cayman also, we have a Condor for our 5 yr old & my niece has the Cayman they have good suspension also & they rip w/ mods!!!