PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a 40T rear sprocket

MIA450R
03-15-2004, 10:23 AM
I want to reduce the tall gearing, but I'd rather go up 2 teeth on the rear, than down one in the front...figuring 1 tooth in front equals around 2-3 teeth in back.

I know the 13T front is a CRF450R sproket, and supposedly the 400EX rear sprokets fit the 450R, but, does a 40T rear 400EX sproket exist? I can't find one anywhere...

Thanks

Honda
03-15-2004, 10:40 AM
I have a 40T Rear from Sidewinder. It fixed my Gearing problems!

Sprocket is the same as 400EX!

And you will need a longer chain, and have to remove the chain gaurd from the skidplate, the lil rubber thingy.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-15-2004, 12:14 PM
We sell a 40 tooth rear sprocket ;)

aces high33
03-15-2004, 01:56 PM
Hey Honda. I have heard a lot of folks say it wasn't enough. I'm sticking with stock for a while to train myself so that it will feel like a big difference to me no matter what I do. Just wondering.:)

Honda
03-15-2004, 02:58 PM
Hey Honda. I have heard a lot of folks say it wasn't enough. I'm sticking with stock for a while to train myself so that it will feel like a big difference to me no matter what I do. Just wondering.

Hmm,
I don't know, I did the HRC kit and the sprocket at the same time. Personally, it seems to be about perfect, about like a stock 88 250R. I guess everyone will have an opinion on what they like best.

Stock I feel it was geared way Tall, With the 40T rear, it is much easier to ride through technical terrain and the motor rarely if ever bogs. One disadvantage though, it is very difficult to keep the front end down, I mean when you hit the gas in first or second, the front end is going to come up. It will need a longer swing arm IMO!

I have seen some guys on here put 13-39 gearing on their machines, that just seems crazy to me. I just don't know how you could keep the front end down with that set up, it would probably work great for moderate trail riding, but if you are an aggressive rider at all I could see major problems, and forget about getting a holeshot, unless you started in 2nd or 3rd gear.

aces high33
03-15-2004, 04:04 PM
Honda, you are very wise. Very deserving of senior member status.:D I think I will follow your advice. Thanks!

MIA450R
03-15-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Honda
I have a 40T Rear from Sidewinder. It fixed my Gearing problems!

Sprocket is the same as 400EX!

And you will need a longer chain, and have to remove the chain gaurd from the skidplate, the lil rubber thingy.

Dang, so you can't get away with the stock chain with the 40T rear...and you have to remove the guide?

I would have thought loosening the chain almost all the way would have allowed it to fit. bummer.