PDA

View Full Version : 2 Twist or not 2 Twist

EXrider65
03-15-2004, 08:13 AM
I have a chance to get a Elderbrock carb, but it has a twist throttle with it. The question is, would it be comfortable and non hazard for hill climbing and everyday riding (sorta aggressive).

400ex

miken
03-15-2004, 08:29 AM
This is my first (decent) Quad, I have always had bikes. First thing changed to a motion pro twist throttle. I think its probably going to be a personal choice. If you have always used the thumb, you'll probably not like the twist?
Mike -

Pappy
03-15-2004, 08:30 AM
I just ordered a twist for my yfz. with bad carpul tunnel in my wrists the thumb just hurts me too much anymore:p

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-15-2004, 09:15 AM
We sell the edlebrock carbs with the option of thumb throttle. As stated before it is going to be personal prefernce, but most guys that have riden dirtbikes like the twist on the atv also. I however don't think I would be comfortable with a twist throttle. :)

LazeR
03-15-2004, 09:22 AM
I am with everyone else i think it's going to be personal preference, i personally don't like it, i rode a quad with a twist and the bumps made me blip the throttle, didn't care for it 1 bit! But thats just me!

foleyit
03-15-2004, 10:01 AM
Like other's have said it is a personal preference. I have friends that have street bikes and grew up on dirt bikes and swear by it.

Every now and then I think about converting over to a twist throttle, I ride my friends quads with twist and it is weird feeling. With the twist I feel that I can't throw the quad around because of the movement of the twist. I've tried doing some hill climbs with a twist and I am too accustomed to getting a grip full and pushing with the thumb. While riding twist -- I've almost looped it a couple times because of the twist throttle.

I still run with a thumb on mine. Spend the few extra dollars and get a thumb throttle for it.

Quadzilla
03-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Twist all the way. You will be used to it after a couple of hours. Neat the end of our all-day rides (from sunrise to sunset) all the thumb guys are b!itching about how their thumbs hurt. I just keep on twisting w no issues :-) . Once you get used to it (again less than a day) you will not "blip" it over bumps, etc. You think that the guys riding dirtbikes don't hit bumps? Gimme a break! I also feel it's better because I can hold a full grip with my right hand vs not having my thumb around the grip. Some of my friends have had the bars ripped outta their hands while riding in the rough, rocky PA terrain that we ride in. It does not happen to my because I have all 10 fingers wrapped around my grips!