PDA

View Full Version : Upshift without clutching

miken
03-15-2004, 07:09 AM
Will upshifting without clutching cause any damage to the clutch, gears, shift-forks etc. I get serious arm pump pulling the stock 300ex clutch and its not in the cable. Stiff spings maybe?
Thanks, Mike -

Raptor Mike
03-15-2004, 08:12 AM
You can cause problems if you "power" shift when the engine is not at the right RPM. Personnally, I shift without the clutch about 70% of the time.

2003EXRIDER
03-15-2004, 10:57 AM
the only time ii don't clutch is when i'm on the back tires:devil: :devil:

03-15-2004, 11:14 AM
i shift up without the clutch all the time...if its at high rpm's it will usually not let you shift unless you pull in the clutch....just dont shift DOWN without the clutch...:eek2:

250EXpwns
03-15-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
i shift up without the clutch all the time...if its at high rpm's it will usually not let you shift unless you pull in the clutch....just dont shift DOWN without the clutch...:eek2:
lol no joke! If you do that you're fi-zucked!:blah:

DangerousDean
03-15-2004, 11:52 AM
whats wrong with shifting down with out the clutch
I do it sometimes, youd think shifting up would be worse.

L.Vegas400
03-15-2004, 12:28 PM
i do both quite often, never any problems.

03-15-2004, 12:34 PM
i was told shifting down messes up the shift forks or something....iv'e never shifted down without the clutch & I dont know anyone who does

UglyMotha™
03-15-2004, 12:46 PM
you can shift up and down with virtually no harm i rarly use my clutch other when i need to

03-15-2004, 12:56 PM
I upshift a lot in races without using the clutch but normally use it when down shifting. I never shift with the gas WFO or when giving it just a little gas. I have shifted down several times without disengaging the clutch and no problems so far. I try and use it often but after an hour and half of hard racing it's all I can do to hold on much less full with all them thingies on the handybars...:o

JDiablo
03-15-2004, 01:37 PM
so then i can shift up but just don't be on the gas without the clutch....i've always used the clutch....considering now it is much much easier to pull in then the stock one i won't have a problem

4-strokeinNJ
03-15-2004, 02:41 PM
hey i shif up without the clutch all th time on my 300inoit dosent do good tho. QUESTION how may of you shift wit out the clutch on ur friends bike i kno i dont do it on anybody else's bike i dont want it to be that one time and im stuckwith the repair bill.

but ive seen jap bikes with some sensor that when they shift it cuts off the ignition or somthing like that so they ont have to use te clutch i was like a lil needle were te shifter was

my 5 cents

KYLE

deathman53
03-15-2004, 04:35 PM
I always shift without the cluth. I just use the cluth to go into first and to fan it(2 stroke) in my 2 and 4 strokes. none of my friends use the cluth either. yamahas, don't like shifting without cluth. It just seams like the honda'a tranny is so smooth that it doesn't want it. I don't ride other peoples bikes much, next week I might ride my friends custom crf450, that should be a blast.

ryanh250ex
03-16-2004, 09:15 AM
i dont currently own a manual clutch bike, but when i ride others' bikes that do have a clutch, i ALWAYS use the clutch.

when i build or buy my next quad, it willl be a manual clutch, and yes, i will always use the clutch.

some may argue that some bikes can take the abuse of shifting without clutching it. but the way i see it, the clutch lever is there, so use it.

yeah, arm pump is a BIATCH, but then again, so is a tranny that is blown to smitherines.

-Ryan

hondafreestyler
03-16-2004, 02:53 PM
use the clutch ...
thats why its there

Cody_300ex
03-16-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by hondafreestyler
use the clutch ...
thats why its there

yea I dont think they would put a clutch there for no reason.

Fitzy
03-16-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by hondafreestyler
use the clutch ...
thats why its there

yup

ewalker302
03-16-2004, 11:09 PM
Dosent hurt.

I usually downshift w/o the clutch way more than upshift.

:bandit:

HayWire
03-17-2004, 04:37 AM
Shifting gears either be it up or down wont harm your Box
It will round off the leading edges of your gears ...And if anything over time it will make it even easier to change with out clutching ...
I read your post you mentioned Arm pump and said it wasnt your cable , It's the throw out arm on your crank case where your cable ends extend that arm and you'll be suprised how easy your clutch will opperate ... Best Of Luck ...

Some guys are saying they dont put a clutch there for no reason Welllllllll your kinda right guys but not entirely , Your box in your Quad is a full Syncro Casette box which means theres a syncromesh between each gear You gears run on one shaft biggest to smallest , Clutching doesnt matter really but you do need it to take off and to stop Thats the only real reason why you have a clutch ...
End of the day GP race car drivers dont change gears using a clutch for every change , Similar Type box's

More Dirt To Ya --- Aussie Aussie Aussie O! O! O!---

UglyMotha™
03-17-2004, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by HayWire
It will round off the leading edges of your gears ...And if anything over time it will make it even easier to change with out clutching ...
I read your post you mentioned Arm pump and said it wasnt your cable , It's the throw out arm on your crank case where your cable ends extend that arm and you'll be suprised how easy your clutch will opperate ... Best Of Luck ...

Some guys are saying they dont put a clutch there for no reason Welllllllll your kinda right guys but not entirely , Your box in your Quad is a full Syncro Casette box which means theres a syncromesh between each gear You gears run on one shaft biggest to smallest , Clutching doesnt matter really but you do need it to take off and to stop Thats the only real reason why you have a clutch ...
End of the day GP race car drivers dont change gears using a clutch for every change , Similar Type box's

2004TRX450R
03-17-2004, 09:19 AM
I rarely use the clutch when I'm trying to shift fast. The only reason you need to use the clutch is to take the load off the gears. By letting off the throttle a bit you are effectively doing the same thing. Upshifting is a lot easier because the engine automaticly drops rpms so it will kinda match the gear change. When down shifting the engine doesn't spin up automaticly so it is a lot harder on it. You can blip the throttle a little to help this transition. I will usually downshift in the air over a jump to prepare better for the landing where the tires are off the ground there is no load on the gears so it doesn't really hurt anything. The gears are always in mesh with one another. They just slide back and forth on the shafts and have dogs and slots that engauge on the sides of the gears to change the ratios. So the teeth of the gears don't get any more wear but the dogs and slots will start to get rounded if you shift the gears without unloading the tranny by either letting off the throttle or useing the clutch.

Fitzy
03-17-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by HayWire

sounds like you know what you're talking about.. lol