View Full Version : Wattage For Foglights 300ex???

"BLAHH"300!!
03-07-2002, 11:15 AM
hey guys' who have foglights on their 300ex's...how many watts are you running....i found some pretty neat small round silver/chrome ones at wally world, but their 55watts...and someone on this site told me the wattage for the stock light is 35 watts..and not to excede that watting....because it could fry my stator and i'll be shelling out the cash then....i need to know how many watts your foglights are using, how bright they are, and how you have them wired. i want to be able to turn on my tail lights and my foglights seperatly....couse my tail light is now wire'd under my bike and being used as 2 blue ground effect lights....one in front one in rear..looks neat...but i need headlights
i'm not using my stock headlights anymore........

help me out guys'

DEAL
03-07-2002, 11:20 AM
I got a set on mine , I'm not sure how many watts they are but they have never killed my battery and they seem to work really good.

"BLAHH"300!!
03-07-2002, 11:32 AM
..thatsw what i'm goin for...but mine will be silver/chrome what ever...and i need to know the wattage.....thanx freestyle

Quadworks
03-07-2002, 12:21 PM
Hey I have a set of the $14.96 driving lights that I bought at Wal-Mart on mine. They are 55 watts and they work awesome, way better than stock ever could. Mine are mounted down behind the front bumper on the plate where the VIN number is and are wired into the stock lowbeam side of the original headlight plug. Mine have been on there for about 3 months now no problems. Next comes another set mounted on the handlebars some how for steerable lights but wired in the highbeam side of headlight plug. Hope this helps ya.

"BLAHH"300!!
03-07-2002, 01:39 PM
(300ex right?)
so your tail lights and fog lights come on and off seperatly..?...
can you remember witch wire's you hooked possitive and neg.
and the color's they where.?....did you put a fuse in the line's anywhere...?..where.?...all help is needed...i'm not sure how to wire it so that the bluelights and foglights come on sepratly...
also....how did you get inside that on/off run/off hi/low switch to see the wire's?
i'm ganna mount mine in a place like the one in that pic up there....my fender's are shaved and there's this hollow 1/4 inch or so round pipe that's the old fender support's...it's been sawn in half flush with the shaved fender's....slip some sort of metal rod in there...weld it up...then weld a flat piece of metal on the end of that with holes in it to mount my lights...whatcha' think...i thought about other places too...a-arms..too low...handle bars...nah...like your's...nah (maybe if i had a mud screen bumper)....also thought about mounting one close to the throttle leaver brake side and one close to the light switch andclutch on the other side..but nah that would look kinda funny....BANSHEE design it is.....
thanx for the reply man...
keep em' comin'

Quadworks
03-07-2002, 01:55 PM
For one thing if I had a mudscreen bumper with the lights mounted down there, you wouldn't be unable to see much of the light thru it. I said I hooked the wires up to the headlight plug that means the plug that used to attach to the original 300ex headlight itself. On the plug there is only 3 places to put connectors low beam, high beam and ground. All wiring stays as original nothing cut, everything works as stock other than no high beam to switch to as of yet. As for where mine are mounted they are protected better than if they are mounted the way you are saying hanging out in the open to get smacked by a branch or something else.

kid300ex
03-11-2002, 07:28 PM
Bruce, I'd like to run the same set up as you, but would like to keep the stock headlight and use that too, is it possiable? My plan is to mount to lights (like you have) behind my bumper and then still be able to use my stock headlight on the handlebars. Id like them both to be on when I turn the lights on. Instead of seprate. (I hope im not confusing you) But could you help me?

"BLAHH"300!!
03-11-2002, 08:08 PM
......i see what your sayin'..you want more light but...maybe if you found some that weren't at such a high wattage it would work....but i'd wire them differantly....i just use a differant switch all together and have them come on seperat from my stock light...
...stock light on...not enugh...fog's on....ahh thats better....that stock light is plenty bright ...if you instal em, why not have them point out to the side of the trail on each side....that way you can see logs and stuff like that...you'd have a whole 90 degree's of light......

i'm mounting mine to be something like this.....i'm ganna fix one bolt with a streight bolt washer and nut...prolly a lok washer...then the other side i'm ganna use a wingnut and lock washer....cut a small track in the metal i mount em' on so i can loosen that wingnut turn the lights out just a little and have plenty of light on each side as well as streight in front.....works for me......

and my blue lights....well they didn't turn out as good as i had planned...i put some zip ties through the mounting holes on the foglights...then slid them on a screw driver..then stuck the 'driver in the fendersupport hole on each side....kinda rested em' up there....turned em all on and:huhfoglights are bright man everything comes on and off like i planned .the rear blue light is plenty bright....but the front blue light gets drownded out by the bright foglights....so now i'm thinking about this.....go ahead get the alumiairbox.mount my battery and all that in it..... (the rear blue light is mounted in a hole in the bottom of my airbox).....then go buy some real neon lights like i should have to begin with....but 6inches....thats alot of bulb to try to hide..i don't want the bulbs to show at all..just the glow....but it all works and works good.....thanx for all the help i got from you guys.......