PDA

View Full Version : the original "clean" that bad boy up

3hondas
08-21-2001, 08:21 PM
I had to revive my original post form way back in May. This should take place before you "shine that sob up - part 2"
see attached image of "ridden hard put away clean" 5 month old '01 400ex as testimonial to the results:

here's little known way to clean your bike:
get a spray bottle, fill it about 1/4 way up with wisk (must be WISK liquid laundry detergent, not tide, not era...)fill the rest of the way with water.
spray on entire bike (you will probable have to fill the bottle 3 times)you must thoroughly saturate the dirt. then spray off with hose. now dry bike, lube chain and put away.
don't know what it is about the wisk, but it cleans without scrubing or anything, just like in your washing machine.

Nate's96 300ex
08-21-2001, 11:47 PM
Hey what if your engine is very dirty it is like the dirt is burned on there i have tried every think to get it off but nothin works ive tried simnple green mean green engine degreaser bleach everything but not this wisk will it clean my engine if not what will never tried this wisk but i have used mop and glo on the frame and WOW never seen anything work so good
:eek:

3hondas
08-22-2001, 10:23 AM
try wd40 for that baked on dirt. the problem is that you may have discolored the engine with all the other chemicals you have tried.

Nate's96 300ex
08-22-2001, 12:06 PM
no it diddnt discolor it just diddnt do anything

JabberJaw
08-22-2001, 12:36 PM
Will the 'Wisk' solution work on kids too?

kabd69667
08-22-2001, 02:59 PM
Does this Wisk soulution work on everything like your swingarm and a arms or is it just for plastics?

3hondas
08-23-2001, 10:10 AM
Yes, wisk does the ENTIRE bike. The only time i have needed more power is to remove excess chain lube from the sprockets / swingarm and guides. for that i used WD40 on a small cloth.
The good thing about wisk is that it will not harm the paint, alloys and metals of your machine or eat up the bushings and seals.
I have been cleaning all my bikes with it since i began to ride them in '92.

peace

lilred300ex
08-23-2001, 02:04 PM
Will wisk work in the power washer? Sounds like a good idea if I don't have to use a spray bottle.

3hondas
08-24-2001, 10:49 AM
Good question about the power washer. I do not know how a power washer works, but i can tell you that the wisk must sit on the bike for several minutes before hosing off.
I hope that helps!

jrb737
08-25-2001, 02:53 PM
Someone recommended using Pledge furniture polish to shine it up after washing and it seems to work pretty well.

08-27-2001, 02:47 PM
Wow, 3hondas thats an impreively clean quad. About how long after a hard muddy ride dose it take you to get her look'n like that?? I'm Imprest

3hondas
08-27-2001, 06:50 PM
Bro,
Since i have cleaned it a maximum of 2 days after a ride (Usually the next day), it cleans up real easy. It takes about 20 minutes to spray it all down with wisk and water anf refill the container once or twice, 10 minutes to hose it all off, 10 minutes to dry it and about 5 minutes to lube it.

The key is to start by wisking the chain, sprockets and swingarm (this usually takes about 1 jug of the solution - depends on the amount of dirt and how long it has been there), as they are usually the grimiest, next move to the subframe (always remove rear fender to clean), rims, and engine, then do under the front fenders, front suspension and the top of the bike. i do the rear fenders last.
The dirt has all pretty much disolved by the time you are finished and all you have to do is hose it off. I use a little drink cooler ($9.99 at eckerd) to prop the swingarm up on to spin the chain for cleaning and lubrication.

I have attached this picture i just took to demonstrate the abuse the machine has taken as evidenced by the wear on the frame and case, but it still looks brand freakin new.
the next post shows a picture of the swingarm area as it stands tonight.

3hondas
08-27-2001, 06:53 PM
here it is

kabd69667
08-27-2001, 07:08 PM
Ok i'm just wondering, have you ever even rode that sucker?

3hondas
08-28-2001, 10:11 AM
LOOK AT THE IMAGE ABOUT 3 POSTS UP FOR ANSWER.

Zingnut
08-28-2001, 10:25 AM
I used the idea and came up with the lazy man way. I use a 2 gallon weed sprayer (the pump handle type with spray nozzle) and fill it with four caps of wisk then gallon and a half of water. Then pressurize the sprayer and spray away. I let it sit for about 5 minutes in the shade then spray it off works great evern after the dirt is dried on. Thanks for the great ideas.

3hondas
08-28-2001, 10:32 AM
good idea! i think i will get one of those weed sprayers to save time and effort too.
Thanks for the idea.

buckeye400ex
08-29-2001, 07:45 PM
I will be trying this with the pump sprayer, sounds like a great idea. I had been simple green'ing it up to this point.

JabberJaw
08-30-2001, 01:33 PM
I purchased a small 12 volt pump from the Grainger catalog and stop at the creek to wash my bike off. The pump works off the battery on the bike, and sprays like a mofo... cost me 23 bucks.

4punksdad
08-30-2001, 04:34 PM
ok..I have to try the wisk idea now.............but tell me this,,,,I noticed you live in florida, do you ride in alot of sand? or what type of terrain do you encounter? It looks like your bike has never seen mud. my wife claims she has some wisk in the laundry room, I will be trying it this weekend!

08-31-2001, 08:00 PM
3 Hondas, You said only use wisk, not tide. what is the difference? did you try tide or cheer or some other brand and figure out that it doesnt work as well?
~also when you rinse it off does the soap kill your grass?
We use cheer, and I was just wondering if it would work just as well. I think I'll try it this weekend. Thanks, Judd:confused:

3hondas
09-01-2001, 06:29 PM
3punks... recently, it was raining alot down here, and when i started riding again (in december) it was very muddy everywhere. The fact that my bike looks like it has never seen mud is the point i'm trying to make. Wisk is the bomb cleaner, even if the bike sits for several days, dirt, dust and even that dried on mud just hose right off - no scrubbing at all. Tree sap will have to be scraped off with the fingernail though.

Judd... use what ever ya like, but my experience with other detergents is that they don't rinse off all the way or require alot more rinsing to remove them all the way. Try pouring a little bit of the detergent that you plan to try on your hands and rub it in, now try to spray it off with the hose...feel that residue? now try the same thing with wisk.
I usually only wash mine once a week, so murdering the grass has not been an issue.

I did go out and by a 2 gallon weed sprayer (15.99 @ home depot) and that is the best cleaning suggestion i have had since a friend of mine told me about wisk about 10 years ago. Thanks Zingnut!

i went with 3/4 of the way full of water then poured in 1/4 of the way up with the wisk. it cut the time (and effort) if half, not to mention that you can reach into the smaller spaces easier with the wand.
peace

09-01-2001, 07:12 PM
3Hondas, thanks for your reply. I have cheer here at the house, so I tried the soap on the hand trick and it rinsed off very easily with no scrubbing and left no residue. I will try it and let everyone know how it turns out.

4punksdad
09-02-2001, 06:37 PM
I tried the wisk idea today. My bike was extremely muddy. I cut it with 50% water & the stuff was still WAY too thick to spray out of a "fantastic" spray bottle. It was coming out in a stream despite having it set on spray. I quickly gave up & went to work with the pressure washer. What is the correct mixture? 75% water : 25% wisk?

I will try it again next week.

3hondas
09-02-2001, 09:46 PM
3punks...

Mix at 1 part wisk to 3 parts water (or 25% wisk / 75% water). You may want to get a good spray bottle (or get real smart and get a weed sprayer), this will speed up your efforts.
The dried on dirt it removes without ANY scrubbing will surprise you. Just remember to start with the grimiest areas first, that way when you finish spraying the bike down, you just hose it down, dry it off, lube it and put it away.

Peace

400exRacerX
09-03-2001, 11:04 PM
wow thats one clean bike you got there 3hondas!

bakerboyz
09-04-2001, 07:56 PM
I think you're all getting too involved with the sprayers. It took me a half hour to spray then rinse only to have to sponge the big mud spots anyway. next time I will apply the wisk with the sponge to begin with. ... The wisk is a good soap though.

09-04-2001, 08:33 PM
Great solution!

I tried it tonight on a 2 day old mud paint job to my 300ex and it worked pretty good. I did have to follow up with a little sponge action in a few spots though. :D

3hondas
09-05-2001, 10:43 AM
Dudes,
if you are still sponging or scrubbing, then one or more of the below applies:
1. not saturating dirt with enough solution (spray dirt until thoroughly saturated)
2. not enough wisk in the solution (1 part wisk / 3 parts water)
3. not letting the solution sit on the really grimy areas for at least 5 minutes or so. (spray grimiest areas first)

I have yet to "sponge" or scrub anything.

09-05-2001, 01:31 PM
I just drop mine off at the local hooters and have the girls clean mine,,,while I sit back and drink a cold one and watch...:D

I wish,,,,,I'm gonna have ta try this idea out after the races this weekend..

knighttime
09-05-2001, 01:39 PM
Sounds like a great plan. Try to get the girls drinking if you can!

MOFO
09-05-2001, 02:42 PM
Mmmmmmm....Hooters....the food is not bad either :devil

I go there WAY TOO much....

Eric

09-05-2001, 02:49 PM
You mean they got food at them places??????????? I thought they only had boobs and beer,,,,I guess I need ta pay more attention next time I go...:D :D :D :devil :devil :devil

3hondas
09-05-2001, 08:35 PM
they have ***** too!
and for your viewing pleasure...
the jordan girls!

09-06-2001, 07:25 AM
I'll take 2 of them to go please........:D :D :D :D

desert-rider
09-08-2001, 01:51 PM
nice pic :blah (would look even better on quads)

tried the solution on my quad. had 3 week old mud on it (not heavy) thin film but hard to get off and it stains. It took it all of plus the old stains that stuff is the best ever. no more tooth brush to reach those hard spots. not to mention takes that grease smell out of the garage.:P

crday98
09-13-2001, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by 3hondas
Dudes,
if you are still sponging or scrubbing, then one or more of the below applies:
1. not saturating dirt with enough solution (spray dirt until thoroughly saturated)
2. not enough wisk in the solution (1 part wisk / 3 parts water)
3. not letting the solution sit on the really grimy areas for at least 5 minutes or so. (spray grimiest areas first)

I have yet to "sponge" or scrub anything.

sorry 3hondas,i mixed it correctly,saturated the dirt like you wouldn't believe,let it soak for 5,then tried 10,then tried 15,and then 30 minutes and this doesn't work w/o some scrubbing.wisk does work relatively well though and i will probably use it from now on but it just doesn't work like you say,at least not on the kind of dirt i ride in.:)

3hondas
09-13-2001, 10:24 AM
wow man...kind of dirt do you ride in?
How many days do you let your bike sit before washing it?

The stuff is good but if you sit your quad for several days with some hardcore funky mud on it you may find yourself toiling a little bit more that say someone who washes their bike after each ride or the next day. I still say that it works better than anything else out there.
Peace.

inacoma91
09-13-2001, 10:35 AM
they have ***** too!
and for your viewing pleasure...
the jordan girls!

You a fan of F-1??? I am since i race open wheel cars. I went to Indy last year to watch Shumacher eat em up, although i am a Coulthard fan myself...................

Andrew

3hondas
09-13-2001, 11:22 AM
Been a big Michael and Ferrari fan since he moved over to The Scuderia.
This season, i have only been able to watch taped races, as the quad has interfered with that part of my life too.
Maclaren has had a dismal year.
Looking forward to US gp and sepang as well.
Will try to watch the taped Spa race this weekend.
F1 rocks!
How was the indy experience?
What kind of cars do you race? indy lights?

inacoma91
09-13-2001, 12:13 PM
Going to indy to watch F-1 was awsome!!! Best time i ever had. I am looking forward here in a few weeks to go again this season. Yeah Mclaren has had a bad season this year........I am looking forward to toyota to enter the game next year since i am a toyota man myself. I am just hoping they dont cancel it due to the terrorist attack in NY. No i dont race indy lights......although i wish i did then i would be racing under someone elses money!!:D I race a formula ford. Looks sort of like a indy car but doesnt have wings. Still a few steps below indy lights acutally. Probably about 2-3 steps below. I raced karts for 10yrs and out of the 10 i raced shifter karts for 4yrs. Running 125 they accelerate like a indy light. 0-60 in 4seconds and speeds up to 125+ I ran a YZ although i should have ran the CR or TM. I should have kept that motor for my 400!! Since we were pumping out about 42HP out it.............

Andrew

crday98
09-13-2001, 11:22 PM
wow man...kind of dirt do you ride in?
How many days do you let your bike sit before washing it?

The stuff is good but if you sit your quad for several days with some hardcore funky mud on it you may find yourself toiling a little bit more that say someone who washes their bike after each ride or the next day. I still say that it works better than anything else out there.
Peace.

coal dirt & regular pure trail dirt,i tried this right after i got home from a ride.i agree this stuff does work really well but i do have to wipe it with a sponge to get it all off.

3hondas
10-12-2001, 06:32 PM
this is the before picture.
this dirt sat and dried on the bike for 1 week, and was ridden again before washed.

see next post for results

3hondas
10-12-2001, 06:36 PM
results of spraying with wisk and rinsing off.

JabberJaw
10-12-2001, 06:42 PM
Oh my god! Don't use that stuff! Look it melted his seat and rear fenders! Now they are missing...just look at the pic!!!!!!

Tommy 17
10-12-2001, 07:22 PM
Jabber where in the hell do u come up wit this **** its so funny i am ready to die laughing haha. i dunno if i wanna try that now haha.

The400exExorcist
10-12-2001, 11:38 PM
lol oh geez:D

3hondas
10-13-2001, 11:48 AM
If you look a little closer, you will see that it dissolved my airbox lid, and turned my stock exhaust system into a pro-circuit full system, my stock bars into renthals, and my stock grips into smiths.
like i said...the shizit is the bizomb.

as for the seat and rear fenders?
Who needs them any way. My bike is lighter without them, and sitting down is way over rated anyway.
The dealer wanted an additional $200 for it too.
Seats and rear fenders are for kooks.

JabberJaw
10-13-2001, 08:33 PM
"Shizit"...... Now I like that word! I'm not sure if I should wipe it or pop it...

Maybe some guy with bad acne got drunk and fell on his face..then he might have to use one of those pads....making this whole thing an oxymoron!

I am so stupid! I tried to smoke plumbers crack!