PDA

View Full Version : Little Help Here ...

hondafreestyler
03-14-2004, 11:30 AM
I know that when ppl re-jet a carb ... they run it full thottle pinned though all the gears ... then pull the clutch and kill the motor and let it roll to a stop ... then check the color of the plug ..

Now is this a "Need To Be Done" thing to get it spot on or not ... Because I dont really have the room to do that here at my house.

Also I need some jetting opionions ...
What would you sugjest .... I live like 20 miles south of Pittsburgh Pennsyvania ...

ill be running
curtis sparks x-6
keihin fcr 39mm carb
k&n w/ outwares
should I run lid or not?

And im not sure if like rev box and that stuff matters with jetting or not ...

thanks ...
-Mike

cals400ex
03-14-2004, 03:03 PM
the rev box won't matter with jetting. i am not sure what jets you should run since i still have a stock carb. if you don't know what to look for when doing a plug chop it isn't going to be helpful. also, different fuels will give different readings. i have just stuck with the same brand fuel for a couple years and i check the plug accordingly because i know how this fuel burns in my bike.

hondafreestyler
03-14-2004, 04:14 PM
so is running it full speed then killing it a "NEED TO" thing to get the jetting spot on...

Fitzy
03-14-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by hondafreestyler
so is running it full speed then killing it a "NEED TO" thing to get the jetting spot on...

yea, you need to know if your engine running too rich or too hot

you don't have to go through all the gears. 3rd gear pinned wide open for a couple seconds will do.

hondafreestyler
03-14-2004, 05:26 PM
ok ... so hit 3rd gear pinned ... hold it ... pull the clutch and kill the motor and let it drift to a stop on its own or stop it with brakes?

then what?

Fitzy
03-16-2004, 02:26 PM
you can use the brakes to stop, just don't let go of the clutch until you're stopped. then take the plug out and if it's white-ish, you're running too hot. if it's black, you're running too rich. the plug should be a brownish tanish color. hope that helps:)

hondafreestyler
03-16-2004, 02:48 PM
ok sweet man ...

thanks a ton ...
that does help a lot ...

Any idea with the info I said in the first post what I should try?

or what id' be almost at

cals400ex
03-16-2004, 02:56 PM
i don't know, you could start around a 165 or so. seems like a 50 pilot is pretty popular.

Fitzy
03-17-2004, 01:29 PM
well i'm not too sure on the jetting. what ever you have in there, check and see if it running hot or rich and whatever the outcome, go out and but couple jets bigger/smaller or whatever you need and try them. it's a long and annoying process. even worse with 2-strokes:rolleyes:

hondafreestyler
03-17-2004, 07:15 PM
yah ... thanks man ...

Fitzy
03-17-2004, 07:48 PM
np:)

03-17-2004, 09:26 PM
well actually plug reading can be false sometimes because of the fuel that is used. If ur bike runs fine and doesnt smoke or anything and if it mainly doesnt run hot u have no need to bother.

miken
03-18-2004, 12:31 PM
Remember to make sure you re-warm the engine back up after each jet change or reading the plug is a waste of time.
Mike -